VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,366 of 2,697
Will my Clip +  and E6 be able to drive the Bass edition being 40 ohms?

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,369 of 2,697
Sweet will do when I finally get the Vsonics...

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,370 of 2,697
Quote:
Your Clip would do fine job alone! Between the Clip and E6, it will be more than enough. The Clip is quite good; I'd try it both ways and see which you like the most! 

I agree, this is how I run mine, straight from a RockBox'd Clip+.  I found that an amp is not really necessary from those I tried.  Something like the RE-262 needs an amp.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,371 of 2,697
So the sensitivity has a lot to to with drive-ability also....

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,372 of 2,697
Quote:
So the sensitivity has a lot to to with drive-ability also....

A bit, that IEM in particular has pretty high impedance with low sensitivity and it's just power hungry.  Check out this posting: http://www.head-fi.org/t/17179/please-explain-headphone-sensitivity  To reiterate,  my understanding is that high sensitivity headphones are capable of drawing more power from a well-paired amp at the same volume level, so they are more picky as a result, which is why you often find that lower sensitivity is more commonplace and better in portable applications that are using lower power devices.  Also, the nominal impedance number listed (40Ohm in the case of the BE) is not exactly accurate for every frequency and every power output, and is more or less an average.  It can get a bit tricky to figure out as you can see, I still don't fully understand but I'm learning haha, so I hope this all helps a bit.

I imagine that the Clip+ would be able to drive the RE-262 to listenable levels no problem, but it would only have like 3 hours of battery.  In that case an amp would not only afford more battery life, but because of it's high impedence the extra power would tighten it up a bit and clean up the sound and have a pretty audiable improvement overall.  I suspect a good portable amp could do that as well with a GR07, but I personally can't say how much of an improvement it would make.  I unfortunately don't have much experience with portable amps at this time, or with higher impedence cases like the RE-262 for that matter, that is just what I read of it when I was researching IEMs (and I ultimately chose the GR07 at that time).  I am working on a CMOY-style amp at the moment though for practice, and with good quality components 
tongue.gif
 so we'll see how it pans out and if there's much benefit.  Others may be able to add in their results from their portable rigs, but from personal experience I feel the BE is quite good right out of the Clip+ or any other portable player I've tried.  Here is a good article about amping, so that may further answer some questions: http://www.inearmatters.net/2008/12/to-amp-or-not-to-amp.html

I do eventually want to refine my portable rig, but since I'm focusing on getting the desktop setup squared away I have to put that on the back burner (and I'm undecided on how to proceed anyway so it needs more research).  What I'm currently using though is pretty fantastic I must say for what it cost.

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,373 of 2,697
Thanks Modulor..I will checkout those links....

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,375 of 2,697
Any links?

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,377 of 2,697
No worries

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #1,379 of 2,697
Quote:
If your looking for an open back gr07 bass edition get the phillips fidelio x1 , I just switch the stock cable to the monster icable 800 and I got say :
o

No good for the train I suspect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back