VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Mar 19, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #2,641 of 2,697
I ran into same pita situation when my meelec m6 and tf10 played games on me.....I gave up on M6 and bought a new fiio cable for the tf10.

I suspect a short @ y split. W/o soldering the cable ends with the 3.5mm jack,what do you get when testing these 4 ends between them using mm.

I just get a reading between the right channel/right section of the plug and with either of the grounds. I'm assuming the grounds are continuous, both show the same reading when i test them with the ground, but the right channel should not be continuous with them.
Like I said, the left channel is working fine, but the right channel outputs to both the left and right, and that seems very odd to me. I was thinking a short in the y-split or somewhere along the line there, but both channels worked fine just before I cut off the old plug, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,642 of 2,697
I just get a reading between the right channel/right section of the plug and with either of the grounds. I'm assuming the grounds are continuous, both show the same reading when i test them with the ground, but the right channel should not be continuous with them.
Like I said, the left channel is working fine, but the right channel outputs to both the left and right, and that seems very odd to me. I was thinking a short in the y-split or somewhere along the line there, but both channels worked fine just before I cut off the old plug, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Hmm ya,Like I said before its definitely a short @ y- split.

Yes you were right,the jack seemed to be the culprit (to us) before slicing it but its the y-split actually where the common ground splits to L & R earpieces (this where the shorts) and by the time we realize this we already have the stock 3.5mm jack on the table,separated.....but this is the only way to isolate the issue,when we arent sure where the real problem is. :frowning2:

Now, re-cabling is the only option to go.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #2,643 of 2,697
Hmm ya,Like I said before its definitely a short @ y- split.

Yes you were right,the jack seemed to be the culprit (to us) before slicing it but its the y-split actually where the common ground splits to L & R earpieces (this where the shorts) and by the time we realize this we already have the stock 3.5mm jack on the table,separated.....but this is the only way to isolate the issue,when we arent sure where the real problem is. :frowning2:

Now, re-cabling is the only option to go.

Hmm, yeah it does make the most sense. Still the strangest thing is that the reason I changed the plug is not because the channels were messing up, but because the base of the plug had torn, and was hanging on by a thread, causing all audio to cut in and out unless I held the plug at the right angle. Wouldn't this crossed channels symptom have shpwn itself even when the old plug was still attached? It still sounded fine minutes before ai chopped the plug off, meaning that when the audio was working, the channels were still correct. This was just meant to be a plug repair job :/
You think the short just happened there and then? Is it worth cutting into?

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #2,644 of 2,697
Hmm, yeah it does make the most sense. Still the strangest thing is that the reason I changed the plug is not because the channels were messing up, but because the base of the plug had torn, and was hanging on by a thread, causing all audio to cut in and out unless I held the plug at the right angle. Wouldn't this crossed channels symptom have shpwn itself even when the old plug was still attached? It still sounded fine minutes before ai chopped the plug off, meaning that when the audio was working, the channels were still correct. This was just meant to be a plug repair job :/

Exactly, it was supposedly a simple jack replacement but now it turned into a diff direction now.......well,about your last question, the result were not in a positive side,both, soldered to a new jack and without it......so obviously a cable replacement project is what being kick into.

Tell you one suggesstion tho, you are going to need to open the shells ( earpieces) one way or the other,IF,yes only IF you are recabling on your own.so before slicing the y-split ends,de-solder the cables at the earpieces end and see the contiuity between the wires end-to-end.

AND meanwhile if you have cheap buds/iems you can possibly use that cable (yes same way as gr07,open the shells and de-solder the wires) with gr07. Now Solder those wires on the +ve and -ve points of both the gr07 drivers respectively. This shd put an end to everything. But be careful when you solder-de-solder the gr07 drivers.not much heat to the contacts,sorry if you are good at it and have basic knowledge/skills of soldering.

Hope this give you a fruitful result! And nothing else cld be done beyond this.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #2,645 of 2,697

Nah, haha, i appreciate the helpful tips, I'm only decent at soldering. I understand what you're telling me, and by the sounds of all of that work, I'm not sure If i want to dove that deep into this project xl
I understand what you meant when you mentioned just giving up on your own oem's, lol. I was thinking of sending them in under warranty repairs, but that would be $30 shipping straight to China, 4-6 weeks of waiting, and it's a bit too late now. Figured my $5 20 minute fix would suffice, haha.
I'll look into it just a bit more, possibly look into some bargain recabling services as i'm sure it would take me quite a bit of time to do myself.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,646 of 2,697
Nah, haha, i appreciate the helpful tips, I'm only decent at soldering. I understand what you're telling me, and by the sounds of all of that work, I'm not sure If i want to dove that deep into this project xl
I understand what you meant when you mentioned just giving up on your own oem's, lol. I was thinking of sending them in under warranty repairs, but that would be $30 shipping straight to China, 4-6 weeks of waiting, and it's a bit too late now. Figured my $5 20 minute fix would suffice, haha.
I'll look into it just a bit more, possibly look into some bargain recabling services as i'm sure it would take me quite a bit of time to do myself.

Well, my 2 cases were different.......:) I didnt want to crack open my tf10 shells so ordered a fiio cable, no hassle, but I did some post mortem with the failed stock cable. Otoh, The M6 was an easy to open just like a air-tight platic box/container for that matter.so both IEM shells were intact.

Keep us posted after your recabling.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #2,648 of 2,697
Guys, I still use my GR07BE daily and love it a lot and therefor want to stop using it at the gym, cause I'm afraid I can damage it. I've been away from head-fi for a while, so if you can help me.  Can you tell me which of the new Vsonics has close signature to GR07BE - VSD3/S, VSD1/S or VSD5? 

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,649 of 2,697
  Guys, I still use my GR07BE daily and love it a lot and therefor want to stop using it at the gym, cause I'm afraid I can damage it. I've been away from head-fi for a while, so if you can help me.  Can you tell me which of the new Vsonics has close signature to GR07BE - VSD3/S, VSD1/S or VSD5? 

VSD5 is quite treble happy, so I'd say the "new vsd3s" is your best best, though the original VSD3 (not S) might have a bit more bass emphasis than the S version.

I've not heard the VSD1 however, so that might possibly be closer in terms of frequency response.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,650 of 2,697

VSD5 is quite treble happy, so I'd say the "new vsd3s" is your best best, though the original VSD3 (not S) might have a bit more bass emphasis than the S version.

I've not heard the VSD1 however, so that might possibly be closer in terms of frequency response.

Thank you! I was looking exactly at VSD3S. Appreciated
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,651 of 2,697
Has anyone heard the "NEW" Bass Edition GR07s that have been released this year?  Can't really find any specs or info on what makes them new outside of a new Y-Split and termination plug.  Are they the same thing, just in a new "package" or is there anything different, like the GR07X?

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,652 of 2,697
  Has anyone heard the "NEW" Bass Edition GR07s that have been released this year?  Can't really find any specs or info on what makes them new outside of a new Y-Split and termination plug.  Are they the same thing, just in a new "package" or is there anything different, like the GR07X?

AFAIK it is a just a repackage not like the new GR07X.
They don't come with the plethora of tips like it used to, plug and y spliter is different  also they come with a "purse" as carrying case.

Good price on aliexpress though around 85usd

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,653 of 2,697

AFAIK it is a just a repackage not like the new GR07X.
They don't come with the plethora of tips like it used to, plug and y spliter is different  also they come with a "purse" as carrying case.

Good price on aliexpress though around 85usd

Yeah that's kind of what I thought...just a repackage.  I loved my original GR07s, the BEs and the MkIIs...I kind of miss the VSonic sound.  Getting the GR07X is kind of a pain here in the States as they take a week + to get them and no real return policy.  Amazon is preferred.  I guess I'll wait till the 07Xs hit Amazon.  They look quite interesting @ 200 bucks.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,655 of 2,697
Received my GR07B yesterday. Coming from VSD3 bass is low in quantity, but very controlled and tight. 

Can you post a picture. Did you get the new model with a silver wire or the old one with a candy cane wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back