Vsonic GR06 Review
Jul 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #241 of 385
You more or less said that the PL50 come close to them. Here is the thing - I really didn't think the PL50's sounded good. I prefer my Visang R02 (/Brainwaves M1) over the PL50's. 

Now both my PL50 and Visang R02 are broken, Should I pick these up? In the meantime i switched from using a Cowon S9 to using my HTC Desire (with Cowon BBE audio player - JetAudio, it has BBE Viva), is it a pitty to use such great IEM's with a phone, and would an impandance adapter make a big difference?

Thanks in adavance!

Regards Rune

hi rune,

i don't have pl50 or use impendance adaptor...but i can say i prefer GR06`s SQ over M1. SQ and technicalities of GR06 are definitely more superior. M1 is musical and laidback, good for long hours of non fatigue listening. whenever i travel overseas i will bring M1 along.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #242 of 385
I owned a PL50 as well, it too, was broken(and so did my PL30, hence no more Soundmagic for me!).  PL50 is super mid centric and the mid sounded very clear and detailed to me.  PL50 was my favourite IEM for listening to the radio talk shows because of this, lol.  Going from PL50 to GR06, you will hear a big jump in bass quantity, somewhat more bass and treble detail.  You may loose out on some mid detail but that's a minor issue with a much more balanced sound than PL50.  Overall you will definitely have a positive experience coming over from PL50 IMO.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #243 of 385
Have you guys even heard the GR02 bass edition? It's better than GR06 in every aspect imho. You can hear more micro details than the muddy GR06. It's like a downgraded GR07. Don't get me wrong, I do not own a GR02 to support it, I just had the chance to hear it from my uncle and it makes me feel sad being an owner of GR06. :p Can't deny the better SQ.. At first I thought the GR02 lacks mids, but then the default double flange is causing it. after we changed the tips to the single flange (not the hybrids) the mids became more forwarded and the sound more neutral and not v-shaped anymore.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #244 of 385
Quote:
Have you guys even heard the GR02 bass edition? It's better than GR06 in every aspect imho. You can hear more micro details than the muddy GR06. It's like a downgraded GR07. Don't get me wrong, I do not own a GR02 to support it, I just had the chance to hear it from my uncle and it makes me feel sad being an owner of GR06.
tongue.gif
Can't deny the better SQ.. At first I thought the GR02 lacks mids, but then the default double flange is causing it. after we changed the tips to the single flange (not the hybrids) the mids became more forwarded and the sound more neutral and not v-shaped anymore.

I have both the GR02 BE and GR06, which i've ordered at the same time a while ago. They are both quite different, so it's hard to say which one is better. But of course, people have their preferences for certain sound signatures. The GR06 is mid-centric and GR02 BE isn't. The bass is also different. Swimsonny described it rather well in his GR06 review thread. It's a bit loose and flabby and kinda washes over you, though I have to say it really depends on the track, rather than genre. The GR02 BE has a imo a much more accepted form of bass, it's faster, tighter and has more quantity. The GR02 BE has a (slightly) smaller soundstage than the GR06. The GR06 has better treble, which is less bright than GR02 BE's treble. But I think sound signature wise, the GR02 BE is more easier to accept for the average consumer. So it doesn't surprise me that people would prefer the cheaper GR02 BE over the more expensive GR06, which has a more "unusual (in a good way imo) sound" than the GR02 BE.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #245 of 385
Quote:
I have both the GR02 BE and GR06, which i've ordered at the same time a while ago. They are both quite different, so it's hard to say which one is better. But of course, people have their preferences for certain sound signatures. The GR06 is mid-centric and GR02 BE isn't. The bass is also different. Swimsonny described it rather well in his GR06 review thread. It's a bit loose and flabby and kinda washes over you, though I have to say it really depends on the track, rather than genre. The GR02 BE has a imo a much more accepted form of bass, it's faster, tighter and has more quantity. The GR02 BE has a (slightly) smaller soundstage than the GR06. The GR06 has better treble, which is less bright than GR02 BE's treble. But I think sound signature wise, the GR02 BE is more easier to accept for the average consumer. So it doesn't surprise me that people would prefer the cheaper GR02 BE over the more expensive GR06, which has a more "unusual (in a good way imo) sound" than the GR02 BE.

Detail retrieval being easier on GR02 BE and flatter frequency response makes it a "better" IEM for me. Fast/tight bass which means more "accurate" is equivalent to a good sound rather than having mid-bass hump or kinda flabby bass that is really non-existent on a track. IMHO GR06 is more consumer friendly due to its mid-bass hump that an average consumer usually wants ("bassy tracks yeah" lol). And GR02 BE's sound is much nearer to GR07's IMHO and that makes it better than GR06 for me. Unless you prefer less accurate sound especially a hump in mid-bass region like most people do (which results to less detail retrieval). Yes they are different from each other but when I say "better" I meant technicalities not preference. :)

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #246 of 385
Quote:

Detail retrieval being easier on GR02 BE and flatter frequency response makes it a "better" IEM for me. Fast/tight bass which means more "accurate" is equivalent to a good sound rather than having mid-bass hump or kinda flabby bass that is really non-existent on a track. IMHO GR06 is more consumer friendly due to its mid-bass hump that an average consumer usually wants ("bassy tracks yeah" lol). And GR02 BE's sound is much nearer to GR07's IMHO and that makes it better than GR06 for me. Unless you prefer less accurate sound especially a hump in mid-bass region like most people do (which results to less detail retrieval). Yes they are different from each other but when I say "better" I meant technicalities not preference. :)

I'm with you, I said it months ago that I prefer the 02's over the 06. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #247 of 385
Quote:
I'm with you, I said it months ago that I prefer the 02's over the 06. 

I guess many are blinded by the fact that GR06 is meant to be "higher-end" than 02's by VSONIC itself. As much as I wanted the GR06 to sound better, my ears hear the opposite. :p

EDIT: If you guys still insist that 06 is better sounding than 02, maybe you are using the bi-flange on 02's? Dump the bi-flanges and use the single flange for more neutral and non-V sound! The bi-flanges really kill the mids which sucks, which I think usually the reason why people prefer the 06 over 02. And yes, with the bi-flanges on the 02's, it sounds more consumer-friendly than the already consumer-friendly 06. Dump the bi-flanges. :p

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #248 of 385
As we are talking about gr02 also here, they are on sale on Taobao(Chinese ebay) now for about $16USD as they will be discontinued, that's dirt cheap!

Personally I will only wear IEM's that are naturally worn in the top down style, so I won't be looking into it no matter what

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #249 of 385
Any idea how this compares to, say, Monster's offerings? Specifically the turbine series.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #250 of 385
I am looking at getting a new pair of IEMs, somewhere in the $50 to $80 range, and these are one of the 3 that i have narrowed my searching down to. Including the Gr06 I am also considering the RE0 and the PL50. I have had a pair of PL50s before and remember enjoying them but at the time that they broke wanted something new and didnt get another pair.

i listen to a range of music from pop, rock, classical, jazz, small ensemble and variances in between. I also have a pair of AKG k240 that i listen to music on that i love, but i would rather take a pair of IEMs out and about due to the lack of portability of those cans. From my reading I seem to understand that the RE0 are fairly flat which my k240s are designed to be, so i think i would be happy with that. My main concern with the RE0 is that the impedance is 64 ohms which would tax and drain the battery on HTC thunderbolt.

Overall i am looking for opinions on the GR06, PL50 and RE0, but i would not be against suggestions in the $50 to $80 or $90 range with good reasoning behind it as to why.

Thanks.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #251 of 385
@Diitsuku
Get the GR02 Bass Edition

- Much cheaper.
- More "flat" or neutral (I guess that's what you're looking for?) than the GR06 considering you use single flange tips (biflanges kill the mids).
- It will soon be discontinued due to overly low price.

Don't be confused that the Bass Edition has bloated/boosted bass or something, it's really good and not bassy at all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back