Vsonic GR06 Review
May 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #196 of 385
Quote:
I need some help with selecting right headphones. I'm starting to like these ones based on reviews but I'd love to get some advice.
First of all, my budget max is 100 $ including shipping from ebay or amazon, but I'm not really an audiophile, so if there's something that's just really incredible and is around 100$ that's fine, but if there isn't a huge difference between 100$ and 40$ ones, I'd rather take cheaper ones. So I aim at 50-60 $ price range.
I'll use them with my phone (HTC Desire Z) and most of the time I listen to music in noisy places like subway so sound isolation and high max volume are crucial for me. Also comfort is one of the main things, I want them to fit perfect and feel nice. I listen to all kinds of music, from classics to metal, electronic to acoustic guitar things. But usually I don't listen to bass-heavy music like House, Trance and Techno and mostly listen to calm music like post-rock, trip-pop, progressive rock. So that should be it about what I need.

The models I found that looked good are:
Vsonic GR06 - everything seems great except the brown color on it, really hate the way it looks :D
Jays A-Jays four (~ 55$) - for good design and great cords, but I heard they lack isolation and sound is not that good.
Shure SE215 (~ 100$) - sound isolation is almost perfect, but they are expensive and I'm not sure, if they are worth it.
Sony MDR-EX510SL (~ 100$) - they look great, but again - expensive and I'm sure if they are worth it.
Sennheiser cx300 II (~ 45$) - seem to be quite popular
Brainwavz m4 (~50) - seem quite good
Klipsch S4i (~ 70) - seem quite average and sure if they are any better than Vsonic

thanks a lot in advance, and keep in mind I'm really noobish in matters like this.

EDIT: I forgot to note that durable and anti-entangle (not sure how put that right) cords will be a huge advantage.

+1 for the Vsonics or shures. I would really suggest you go with either this 2 as i personally own the A-jays and GR06, and lend the Shures, klipsch and sennheiser from my friends. The Vsonics Treble is really clear, instrument seperation is good and really accurate, you can hear every dynamic of a song, while the Shures cannot really compare with the Vsonics in this aspect, but it has more bass than the vsonics. But bass can be determind greatly depending on the ear tips you use so i would go with GR06

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #197 of 385
I have the GR99 (cheapo $18) and recently got the GR06 ($60).. and i must say i like the sound of the $18 GR99 better. The bass on the GR99 is ALOT better, while on the GR06, its more punchy

Im only comparing 1 earphone though, as the left on my GR99 died, which is why i got the GR06 and I'v only got about 15-20hours through the GR06 though... So my opinion might change. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #198 of 385
Quote:
Are there any headphones under $120 that may be a contender to these? The Brainwavz M3, or have these set a higher standard? 

I have these, the CKM500 and used to have the GR07. The CKM500 which are 60-80 USD are roughly in the same league sound wise as GR07 if I go by memory maybe slightly less refined.

I really enjoy the GR06 with the ear guides(have anyone found it possible to use them without the guides...?!), especcially when out walking in noisy environments, but the CKM500 is in a leage above these sound wise. More detail in the lows, mids and especially the highs without ever sounding harsh like many other Audio Technica headphones can do. They sound fuller and more coherent with some music. They don't have the honest realism of the GR07 and the micro details is maybe slightly less there , but overall I like the CKM500 more than either one on sound alone. They have a beautiful coloration to the sound that never sounds fake or too much. 

Biggest problem is bad microphonics and a slightly over emphasized mid bass with some tips. However I will not sell the GR06 as they are really comfortable, doesn't have microphonics, are very well put together and isolate rather well with the right tips. If they only worked without the guides they would be perfect. 
 [size=xx-small][/size]

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #199 of 385
If anyone is interested in transforming the GR06 to a much better sounding in-ear I suggest using this:

J River Media Center: Headphones; Pronounced, Effects; Concert Hall +1 and Surround Field Subtle or Medium, Parametric Equalizer; Gain -6. And last but not least the plugin TB EZQ. The gain in clarity and treble detail with TB EZQ is just amazing. If you switch of this thing after using it for an hour it sounds like a muffled mess that you are surprise you used to find  pleasing at all.      

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #202 of 385
gr06 vs m4, which is best? which 1 wins in most of the following attributes?

more open sounding,
airy n spacious,
forward mids,
more speed,
best instrument seperation(definitely loves this attribute) and imaging,
detailed highs,
more articulating,
some bass with quality(not boomy),
smoother,
not thick sounding(i dono what is opposite to thick sounding),

which 1 is easy going with all type of genres??
thanks in advance!

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #203 of 385
Hi, I have both GR06 and M4, and if I may put in my two cents worth, below are my thoughts about these two IEMs as per your attributes. 
Quote:
gr06 vs m4, which is best? which 1 wins in most of the following attributes?

[size=9pt]more open sounding, [/size][size=9.0pt]I imagine myself being an audience to a concert… M4[/size][size=9.0pt][/size]

[size=9pt]airy n spacious, [/size][size=9.0pt]I imagine myself as[/size][size=9pt] [/size][size=9.0pt]a performer on stage of a concert…GR06[/size][size=9.0pt][/size]
[size=9pt]forward mids, [/size][size=9.0pt]….GR06[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]more speed, [/size][size=9.0pt]…M4[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]best instrument separation(definitely loves this attribute) and imaging,….[/size][size=9.0pt]GR06[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]detailed highs, [/size][size=9.0pt]M4[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]more articulating, [/size][size=9.0pt]GR06[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]some bass with quality(not boomy), [/size][size=9.0pt]M4 (not that GR06 is boomy, M4 just has more controlled, tighter and cleaner low end)[/size]
[size=9pt]smoother, [/size][size=9.0pt]GR06[/size][size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]not thick sounding(i dono what is opposite to thick sounding), [/size][size=9.0pt]if u mean a thinner note / cooler presentation, then M4[/size][size=9.0pt][/size]
[size=9.0pt] [/size]

[size=9pt]which 1 is easy going with all type of genres??[/size] [size=9pt]GR06[/size][size=9pt][/size]

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #205 of 385
Quote:
Hi, I have both GR06 and M4, and if I may put in my two cents worth, below are my thoughts about these two IEMs as per your attributes. 

seems like both ve scored equal, now im presently using beta's v2 and my impressions are veiled mids, thick sounding, fast tracks gets congested.
since already im using balanced type iem, i'm very much hesitant to opt another iem(m4) of same type. i usually listen to all type of genres (fast tracks as well as vocals).which one ll best suits me??can gr06 handle fast tracks or grainy??is m4 mids are as recessed as beta's v2 or better?
also another important point is i can get m4 for 24$(i ve 4$ coupon to redeem) where as gr06 cost me 63$..is it worth opting gr06?

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #206 of 385
I don’t own the beta V2 but had tried my cousin’s pair previously. From my memory, beta V2’s sound is certainly warmer (or thick sounding like you say) when compared with GR06 and M4. And yes they do get congested with fast tracks.

Although beta’s mids do not sound recessed to me, they are definitely not mid centric. M4’s mid sits a tad behind the low and high, not very recessed. For me, GR06 handles fast tracks adequately e.g. Kings of Leon / Dave Matthews Band, thanks to their good instrument separation and layering, they never sound congested. And they are not grainy.  
By the type of music u listen to (from your profile), I would think M4 is more suitable. If you have a budget go for M4 then.

Is is worth getting GR06? Well...As far as I can tell, value is subjective. What is valuable to me may not be valuable to you. So is sound. 
wink.gif

Quote:
seems like both ve scored equal, now im presently using beta's v2 and my impressions are veiled mids, thick sounding, fast tracks gets congested.

since already im using balanced type iem, i'm very much hesitant to opt another iem(m4) of same type. i usually listen to all type of genres (fast tracks as well as vocals).which one ll best suits me??can gr06 handle fast tracks or grainy??is m4 mids are as recessed as beta's v2 or better?
also another important point is i can get m4 for 24$(i ve 4$ coupon to redeem) where as gr06 cost me 63$..is it worth opting gr06?

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #209 of 385
I'm loving these IEMs more and more after I changed the tips. Ever since I used the blue (I believe it is the medium ones) with the foam inside. I used it because I think it is the medium size, and all IEMs I've used so far has the greatest seal for my ears with their medium-sized tips. I used the one with the foam without comparing the sound to the other without because I think it would be much cooler to use as I've never seen one before lol.

I've been using the tips more than a month I think, and I always have this muddy and fat bass complain. Until yesterday I tried to experiment with the other tips. First I put on the blue without the foam and I was shocked by how different it sounded. It really cures the muddiness of the IEM and made me swear that I will never use the tips with foam again (at least for this IEM lol). I can hear the cymbals better and they are more distinguishable to other cymbals used in a song. The highs really improved. Then I used the green ones (again of course without the foam), a little smaller from the blue. Now I felt how cheap the GR06 is for its performance. The highs, it's slightly better than the blue but not that noticeable but the speed really increases and it is very important to me. The bass is not that thick anymore and it's fast enough for my requirement. (believe me I hate boomy or sloppy bass more than anyone lol). The mids are now more neutral and not that kinda over-emphasized mid-bass feeling I get on the blue with foam. It's very very nice that it makes me feel very happy and at peace whenever a song that requires good mids plays in it. The green being smaller than blue resulted in just a little bit less isolation for me but there's no problem as long as I get the sound I want. It isolates well too though not just as good as the blue. There is no need for this kinda long story of my discovery of the right tips for me I just find it cool to post it here lol.

But anyway the point is, always find the right tips for you, don't just settle for the one you already got used to. Especially when you don't like that much the sound you hear, it is really really worth it once you find the perfect ones. I know many others have already said that, I just feel I need to say it too. :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #210 of 385
I've also noticed that foam significantly degrades sound quality. The ones that came attached seem to be best for me. Make sure the tips are all the way down and that the thing you can angle is angled properly. For me it was all the way forward that fit best in my ear canal. I wonder how these would do with some triple flanged tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back