"Vote" Solid State or Tubes..Which one is your Favourite?
Sep 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #31 of 99

Quote:
I guess the problem is not enough people have really heard these amps. Wouldn't want to vote just for the amp we heard of over the others we haven't heard, that just wouldn't be a proper comparison.

I am willing ot bet though that the C2C is much better than the Mini^3. I have a friend who has one, just haven't had the chance to go to his place and chekc it out.

The M³ is a different beast than the Mini³.

And since OP wants some thoughts, the M³ is a proven design that has been here for quite a while and since it's a Solid-State design, it's inherently more flexible with headphones with various impedance and has higher price/performance ratio than its tube counterpart. And perhaps this is just me but the M³ is quite warm and pleasant sounding with OPA637/627 used and we know these are traits which people often associate with tubes.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #33 of 99
I have not heard them all but...

M3 for ability to drive most headphones easily and smooth tube like sound.

DV 336SE but SKYLAB has never been wrong...ever. Just teasing SKY.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #34 of 99
I agree...deceptive title to the poll.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #35 of 99

I have not heard them all but...

M3 for ability to drive most headphones easily and smooth tube like sound.

DV 336SE but SKYLAB has never been wrong...ever. Just teasing SKY.

LOL! You're one of the few guys who has reviewed more amps than I have, so the OP should listen to YOU :wink:~

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #36 of 99
Maltar, the longer you drag a decision out the longer you'll be without great sound. :) Don't worry about it so much. If you buy used, you'll be able to resell it and only lose the cost of shipping if you don't like it.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #37 of 99
My vote goes for the Purity Audio Kicas (Caliente to be precise).  It  synergize with a wide variety of impedance phone like the 701 and HD600. The Jade  (OTL) would  not drive the AKG / Denon low imp very well.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #38 of 99
The warmth of the amp depends on the design. Different tubes all run at different temperatures from a little heat to real hot. The same goes for ss amps. Some run cold to the touch like my isabellina hpa and others can be real hot like the pheonix.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 99

Quote:
When would i have to change the tubes on a amplifier?

E.G 3-5 years....

Also is it worth buying better tubes to improve the sound of the amplifier?

Tubes need to be replaced when you notice a difference in sound. A lot of times they will just go dead or you may start to get crackling or other problems coming from the tube. It should be noticeable. Tube rolling is what makes tube amps fun. lets say a amp that uses 6sn7's. You can put some russian 1587s in it and get a analytical or more ss sound or put in some tung sol round plates for an more lush sound or put in some marconi b65 in it to get an emphasis on highs. Rolling tubes helps you define the amps signature to your taste.

Quote:
Most people prefer tubes to solid states because of there warmth sound?

Is this true about the m3 "M3 for ability to drive most headphones easily and smooth tube like sound."

Can some expand a bit on this....

An amp can be designed to sound like anything they want. You can get a ss amp that has a more smooth, tubey sound if it is designed to sound that way. The signature of a ss amp cant be changed though (unless you diy with caps, etc). You get what you buy so make sure you want that type sound before you buy. Tube amps dont always sound tubey. Some can sound ss but can be tweaked with tub es to get a more tubey sound if wwanted.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 99
On op-amp based SS amps like the M³, you can also tweak the sound signature by rolling op-amps. For example, with OPA627 you get a warmer sonic character that is more forgiving of less than perfect recordings. And with AD8610 you get increased detail and a more analytical sound.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #42 of 99
I forgot that I've heard namaanf's M^3 with OPA627 or 637 opamps and was very nice. Compared to my DV336i at the time the M^3 was better. I haven't heard the 336SE though.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #43 of 99
i have been reading a lot and would like to add some suggestion which i haven't heard.
i have seriously been considering v200, beta22, m^3, ehha, liquid gold, Caliente, ghp, mad, Dynahi, gold point, dna sonnet, soha II, hag castanet, bottlehead crack otl... damn there are far too many!

some useful threads

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/136888/best-opamp-config-for-m-3-is

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/136796/dynahi-or-m3

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/115492/review-rockhopper-audio-m3-headphone-amplifier

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/329643/review-purity-audio-k-i-c-a-s-caliente-home-headphone-amp-updated-with-comments-on-regular-kicas/330

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500175/easiest-balanced-diy-amp#post_6752430

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/115492/review-rockhopper-audio-m3-headphone-amplifier

any preferences for ^ chime in

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #44 of 99
I wouldn't put all those in the same sentence.

High-end I've heard: Beta22, dynahi
Supposedly high-end (haven't heard, so it's purely on here-say): ehha
Great, but not amazing: soha2 (loved this amp), m3 (also a great choice), dna sonnet (only spent a half hour with this at a meet, though certainly enjoyed)
Probably good but haven't heard: Caliente, goldpoint

The rest, I haven't heard, haven't heard of or simply don't think the designs look all that good.  No absolute judgement on them, they might be very good, I simply haven't experienced them, while others I think, in design alone, wouldn't be all that good.

Quote:
i have seriously been considering v200, beta22, m^3, ehha, liquid gold, Caliente, ghp, mad, Dynahi, gold point, dna sonnet, soha II, hag castanet, bottlehead crack otl... damn there are far too many!

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #45 of 99
I haven't heard any of the amplifiers listed so I cannot vote 
smile_phones.gif

I tend not to get very excited about valve amplifiers (tube amplifiers in US) because the ones I have listened to put so much harmonic distortion into the reproduction that it is just, for me, awful to listen to after a while.

Some years ago I bought a push-pull valve amp, in fact it was one that played a major role in starting this valve amp revival. This amp was for loudspeakers not for headphones. When I bought it I was very taken with the valve amp sound and that remained for quite some time. However my musical interest progressed into classical which brought with it a desire for much greater fidelity and I started to find the valve amp horrible to listen to, so I sold it.

I now use a Sugden HeadMaster amp for headphones and a Sugden AmpMaster for speakers. These really are the best amplifiers I have ever owned, that is without a doubt. The Sugden solid state amplifiers often appeal to people who are used to the valve amplifier type of sound because Sugden amps have so little of the problems associated with solid state amplifiers. The Sugden amplifiers so have a small amount of euphony, but it is tiny compared to the average valve amplifier, like 1% of what you hear from common valve amplifiers.

So for me it is a shame that the Sugden headphone amp is not included in the list to vote for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back