Vote: Do you have sibilance issues with your westone 3?
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #46 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried Future Sonics Earfills silicone tips?

fs_dfl_l.gif

And what is the difference between RoadRunner Audio Premium Triple Flange and Shure Triple Flange Sleeves?

There is a short stem version too (Roadrunner)

earplugstore_2036_84905730

Shure tips

xpa755_l.gif

Don't bother with the short stem version..it will only re-introduce back sibilance..(modded one of my triflanges)

Yea it would be somewhat interesting if someone can post his findings about the future sonic ones..they do look more comfy than the triflanges..

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #47 of 91
One problem I have with these multi-flanges, is the sharp edges of the end flanges hurting my ear canals with long usage. Any solutions?

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #48 of 91
Quote:

One problem I have with these multi-flanges, is the sharp edges of the end flanges hurting my ear canals with long usage. Any solutions?

The mod where you take a Shure black foam tip, remove the core-tube by peeling the foam off of it, and slide the foam up the triple flange stalk so it rests under the largest flange of the triple flange.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #49 of 91
Thanks. Any pics? It's the end (The smallest) tip give me trouble. The sharp edge touches my canal and irritates.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #50 of 91
I have ordered some of those future sonic ones too!

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

I have ordered some of those future sonic ones too!

Looking forward to your findings!

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #52 of 91
I don't experience any sibilance issues with W3 (tested all the tips fitting into my ears). Also, I did not hear any hints of sibilance in any monitors I have tried (and there are many). I'd suggest everyone having issues with sibilance to have an appointment with otolaryngologist and have their hearing checked and tested professionaly. It can be one of the signs of hearing loss (high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss Sensorineural hearing loss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or a hearing loss soon to take place. In most cases it can be the sign of your body telling you that something is happening and is not right with your ears... Take care of your hearing and take it seriously!

Sibilance

Presbycusis

Dimensions of Consonant Perception in Normal and Hearing-Impaired Listeners -- Walden and Montgomery 18 (3): 444 -- Journal of Speech and Hearing Research

Apart from that, way of recording, the level of sibilant sounds in a vocalist's voice or some instruments, source and other purely technical aspects, there is also a direct link to your ear anatomy and shape of your ear canal. From my experience, I find that people having very big ear canals (bigger than what is considered "normal" in both: diameter and depth, or a correlation of unusual shapes/bends in the ear canal and ear concha) tend to have more issues with sibilance. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. It is as if those people were void of natural ability of one's ear to filter out sharp sounds, if there are some. Those suffering from sibilance are more prone to experience hearing loss sooner or later.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by iFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't experience any sibilance issues with W3 (tested all the tips fitting into my ears). Also, I did not hear any hints of sibilance in any monitors I have tried (and there are many). I'd suggest everyone having issues with sibilance to have an appointment with otolaryngologist and have their hearing checked and tested professionaly. It can be one of the signs of hearing loss (high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss Sensorineural hearing loss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or a hearing loss soon to take place. In most cases it can be the sign of your body telling you that something is happening and is not right with your ears... Take care of your hearing and take it seriously!

Sibilance

Presbycusis

Dimensions of Consonant Perception in Normal and Hearing-Impaired Listeners -- Walden and Montgomery 18 (3): 444 -- Journal of Speech and Hearing Research

Apart from that, way of recording, the level of sibilant sounds in a vocalist's voice or some instruments, source and other purely technical aspects, there is also a direct link to your ear anatomy and shape of your ear canal. From my experience, I find that people having very big ear canals (bigger than what is considered "normal" in both: diameter and depth, or a correlation of unusual shapes/bends in the ear canal and ear concha) tend to have more issues with sibilance. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. It is as if those people were void of natural ability of one's ear to filter out sharp sounds, if there are some. Those suffering from sibilance are more prone to experience hearing loss sooner or later.

no you need to read this again mate...Sibilance

it actually does not say that sibilance is a sign of you losing your hearing, it actually says that if you are losing your hearing then the perception of sibilance will be the first to go.

quote: ''The SPECTRUM of sibilants is that of NARROW BAND NOISE in the high frequency range (5-10 kHz) and therefore their perception is the first to be affected by hearing loss with age (PRESBYCUSIS).''

this means if you are starting to go deaf then the 5-10khz range will be the first to be affected.

so it is you that may need to be hearing tested friend, because if you cant hear ''sibilants'' then you may have signs of hearing damage.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least nobody's complaining that they don't hear sibilance--when it's present in the recording.
tongue.gif

Now that would upset me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are.. Lacking sibilance.

...No, seriously. Go look on page two.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #56 of 91
I took that to mean that ZephyrSapphire wasn't experiencing sibilance. Perhaps he can clear it up for us.

In any case, you're misreading me. I would be upset if I didn't hear sibilance when it's present in the recording. I wouldn't mind at all if you didn't. But so far I don't think anyone's reported that.
tongue.gif

Is it just me or do you spend a lot of time fishing for a little schadenfreude in regards to the W3?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

In any case, you're misreading me. I would be upset if I didn't hear sibilance when it's present in the recording. I wouldn't mind at all if you didn't. But so far I don't think anyone's reported that.
tongue.gif

Ah, okay. Yes, I misread you.

Quote:

Is it just me or do you spend a lot of time fishing for a little schadenfreude in regards to the W3?

No, absolutely not. Lol. I just saw what you posted and I was like "Wait... I think I remember seeing one person saying that," and thought it was ironic/funny, but it turns out it wasn't. I'm really not that bad of a person I don't think
frown.gif

Or at least I hope

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #58 of 91
For me there is definitely sibilance. I think the common theory of the origin of the sibilance seems to be correct.
If I use the short tips ( the only one fits my ear canal is large black silicon and large comply) there is sibilance. The sibilance, I hear in a particular music passage is gone when I fixed tri-flange. I can only use them with tri-flanges. I am waiting for my package of tips so that I can do more fiddling with them to find what is best for me.
This can't be due to recording issues, as I can't hear them with either IE8 and HD650. I tested the same music passage with HD650 using Squeezbox > Stello DA100 > GS-1.
The W3 driver should be kept as far as from the ear canal to avoid this issue hence triple flange.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

At least nobody's complaining that they don't hear sibilance--when it's present in the recording.
tongue.gif

Now that would upset me!

[size=x-large]UNTRUE!!![/size]

[size=medium]Wilfredo (my boy) enjoys Sibilance, and becomes disappointed when he does not hear any within a song.

As mentioned in my previous post, Wilfredo (Freddy) actually counts the number of times he hears sibilance per listend to track.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back