Vote: Do you have sibilance issues with your westone 3?
Jan 9, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had some hints of it on some tracks, not all, with the modded flanges (made them into bi-flanges), but with a new pair of tri-flanges and only a little trim of the stalk, absolutely no sibilance, none. Perfect tip for me. I am finally experiencing the real W3 sound. It's amazing to me.

I had some minor sibilance issues with the unmodded shure triflanges but I think its sibilance existing with the track than anything else..

And the westone 3 without sibilance is amazing...good thing i discovered the triflanges before i decided to sell them, it would be a shame really..
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #33 of 91
I have sibilance issues with it. I am trying to solve it with tips. I really like it, But If it continues be stuborn with sibilance, it should go back.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #34 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sibilance issues with it. I am trying to solve it with tips. I really like it, But If it continues be stuborn with sibilance, it should go back.

the only tips that worked for me are the standard comply tips and unmodded triflanges..and they sound the best too.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #36 of 91
Really amazing how different the W3 is with the modded tri-flange (not to two flanges, but the simple sound tube trim). I was stunned. As I posted elsewhere, Paul Simon's Kodachrome (studio version) is loaded with passages to test for sibilance, and it's totally gone. I am stunned.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #37 of 91
I'm waiting for 3-new pair of the triple flanges. How much did you trim the tube? And what with the hybrid black olive - tri-flange? Much difference in sound? Comfort?

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #38 of 91
i was wondering people whether the modded triflanges (slight trim of the stalk) and unmodded ones are the same?
I've only got 1 pair of triflanges left and i don't wanna waste it

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #39 of 91
I just found that taking off a small amount of the stalk (just used a scissors and trimmed to make it an even cut) improved comfort (not as deep) and didn't change sound (kept any sibilance at bay). I bought a three-pack of Shure flanges, and modded one pair a little and another pair a little more, and kept one whole. I also had the original flanges that came with the W3s, but I had taken off the small flange on them. Anyway, I wound up using the second pair I modded, which are the shortest of the two tips with three flanges and a reduced stalk. This might sound gross, but I also wet the flanges a bit before inserting them. And it takes a little finagling to get them perfect, but once they are set, wow.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for 3-new pair of the triple flanges. How much did you trim the tube? And what with the hybrid black olive - tri-flange? Much difference in sound? Comfort?

I haven't tried the hybrid thing with the olives. Too much work for me, since the flanges do the job and are comfy enough. I just eyeballed the trimming thing, but Headphoneaddict, somewhere in one of the W3 threads, has it down to measured cuts my millimeter. I didn't bother being that exact.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #41 of 91
Quote:

I just found that taking off a small amount of the stalk (just used a scissors and trimmed to make it an even cut) improved comfort (not as deep) and didn't change sound (kept any sibilance at bay). I bought a three-pack of Shure flanges, and modded one pair a little and another pair a little more, and kept one whole. I also had the original flanges that came with the W3s, but I had taken off the small flange on them. Anyway, I wound up using the second pair I modded, which are the shortest of the two tips with three flanges and a reduced stalk. This might sound gross, but I also wet the flanges a bit before inserting them. And it takes a little finagling to get them perfect, but once they are set, wow.

I never can get a fit with tri-flanges! How am I going to get this sibilance away when I have it. Only large silicon fitted me when I tried W3!

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #42 of 91
That stinks. Are they too large? Hurt too much? Too small? Again, I wet them a bit and sort of wiggle them in, and they just work. Must be something about your ear canal shape. Again, that stinks. Those large silicones are like rocks, no? None of the Complys work either?

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

That stinks. Are they too large? Hurt too much? Too small? Again, I wet them a bit and sort of wiggle them in, and they just work. Must be something about your ear canal shape. Again, that stinks. Those large silicones are like rocks, no? None of the Complys work either?

Yeah friend! They are too small and I never could get a fit. None of the complys fit this Arizona Meteor Crater!!
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #44 of 91
Large shure olives fill them but I do not think they will get rid of sibilance!

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #45 of 91
Has anyone tried Future Sonics Earfills silicone tips?

fs_dfl_l.gif

And what is the difference between RoadRunner Audio Premium Triple Flange and Shure Triple Flange Sleeves?

There is a short stem version too (Roadrunner)

earplugstore_2036_84905730

Shure tips

xpa755_l.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back