Vote: Do you have sibilance issues with your westone 3?
Jan 7, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the difference between hass and sibilance...we are not talking about hass here I know and most high end IEM should not have hass problem at high volume given that the source is good and file or the original recording is not very compressed..it's very unusual.
But again I never heard sibilance on W3 even when I listen to Vitas, treble is smooth and balanced, not aggresive to me at all.. If you are talking about listening to bad recordings then any type of headphone will give you sibilance since it was oriinally recorded like that.

yeh thats what im saying, maybe all headphones show sibilance due to recording but more expensive earphones show sibilance more because they are simply more revealing.

^this is just a theory tho, it could just be a headphones problem, hardware inside the headphones maybe. but your never going to agree with that are you lol oh and whats hass? i thought you mis-spelled hiss but you done it more than once so is that a word that hasnt crossed me?

headphones that emphasise the highs alot tend to reveal more sibilance naturally, it does not matter how much you say its smooth and balanced that dont mean it dont become sharp now and then, like i said 90% of phones do, its just a part of the technology that has not been smoothed out perfectly yet. audio at this very moment is not perfect! we like to think its perfect but back in the 90's when the playstation was released, we thought it was perfect, then came ps2, that was perfect aswell, couldnt imagine it got much better, them comes the ps3, damn very good, surely it cant get much better but...inevitably, it will.

audio has been the same for years, new technology being made, then that technology is honed and honed and honed until the next best thing comes along, as much as you say yes...its perfect. its not, and this is the reason a lot of us neglect the word perfect, we see this as just a silly word that dont help our choices get any better because when you say aww its perfect, we already know that is not true. it might be very very good but theres always going to be improvements in the future because nothing is perfect.

sorry but its a bit annoying now. the triple fi was brilliant but not perfect, it had issues and we lived with them. the se530, thats not perfect, the highs arent as good as some would like, still, we live with it. the IE8, thats not perfect, too much bass for some even on lowest setting. for this reason this is why a lot of us are saying its not whats best but what you like best. and sorry but the westone 3 may reveal some sibilance that effects some listeners enjoyment so instead of saying over and over that its perfect and not sibilant how about just suggesting a few ways they can improve the sibilance and maybe a few tips on how it can be solved, not only would this benefit the westone 3 listeners in here but it benefits listeners of all headphones, rather than just saying there isnt a problem all the time.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 91
I think for my future purchase of IEMs I'll refer to the reviews of those who voted 'Yes' in the poll. (the sibilance sensitive bunch
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 91
Alright, I will agree with you this time, you made your point~but seriously, I really don't hear sibilance in the musics that I listen to...I am not denying other people, I am just saying I didn't hear...maybe it also has to do with people's hearing sensitivity, as some may be sensitive to treble and some are not...I guess I am not ^ ^

by the way, I meant hiss, but the spell check on my Itouch is crazy, every time I type "hiss" it will change it to "hass" for some reason... so I didn't bother to change every hass to hiss...thought people will know what im saying anyways...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh thats what im saying, maybe all headphones show sibilance due to recording but more expensive earphones show sibilance more because they are simply more revealing.

^this is just a theory tho, it could just be a headphones problem, hardware inside the headphones maybe. but your never going to agree with that are you lol oh and whats hass? i thought you mis-spelled hiss but you done it more than once so is that a word that hasnt crossed me?

headphones that emphasise the highs alot tend to reveal more sibilance naturally, it does not matter how much you say its smooth and balanced that dont mean it dont become sharp now and then, like i said 90% of phones do, its just a part of the technology that has not been smoothed out perfectly yet. audio at this very moment is not perfect! we like to think its perfect but back in the 90's when the playstation was released, we thought it was perfect, then came ps2, that was perfect aswell, couldnt imagine it got much better, them comes the ps3, damn very good, surely it cant get much better but...inevitably, it will.

audio has been the same for years, new technology being made, then that technology is honed and honed and honed until the next best thing comes along, as much as you say yes...its perfect. its not, and this is the reason a lot of us neglect the word perfect, we see this as just a silly word that dont help our choices get any better because when you say aww its perfect, we already know that is not true. it might be very very good but theres always going to be improvements in the future because nothing is perfect.

sorry but its a bit annoying now. the triple fi was brilliant but not perfect, it had issues and we lived with them. the se530, thats not perfect, the highs arent as good as some would like, still, we live with it. the IE8, thats not perfect, too much bass for some even on lowest setting. for this reason this is why a lot of us are saying its not whats best but what you like best. and sorry but the westone 3 may reveal some sibilance that effects some listeners enjoyment so instead of saying over and over that its perfect and not sibilant how about just suggesting a few ways they can improve the sibilance and maybe a few tips on how it can be solved, not only would this benefit the westone 3 listeners in here but it benefits listeners of all headphones, rather than just saying there isnt a problem all the time.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for my future purchase of IEMs I'll refer to the reviews of those who voted 'Yes' in the poll. (the sibilance sensitive bunch
biggrin.gif
)

Man~you will miss out some awesome reviews hey ^ ^

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 91
absolutely not. I havent had any issue whatsoever. but of course I realize that some people do; seems to be almost a direct correlation between the distance to the eardrum from the drivers and sssssssss.

lovin the sub-bass-snarl with lisa drum and bass and the lisa [size=large]BASSSS[/size] knob very addictive. not that I find them overly bassy, but the bass knob on lisa is very well implemented and quite subtle. I usually stay well away from EQ but OMG!!!

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I will agree with you this time, you made your point~but seriously, I really don't hear sibilance in the musics that I listen to...I am not denying other people, I am just saying I didn't hear...maybe it also has to do with people's hearing sensitivity, as some may be sensitive to treble and some are not...I guess I am not ^ ^

by the way, I meant hiss, but the spell check on my Itouch is crazy, every time I type "hiss" it will change it to "hass" for some reason... so I didn't bother to change every hass to hiss...thought people will know what im saying anyways...

no problem dude i wasnt having a go mate. what are those ipod touches like anyway my girlfriend is gonna get one perhaps friday but i dont wanna advise against it if its actually quite good.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 91
hey jinx you are correct. in the recording industry sibilance is usually caused by micing too close. so with vocalists (especially when a more intimate close micing is needed) you will sometimes see them using those circular filters in front of the mic. so it makes sense that placing the drivers so close to the eardrum may cause this with some people who have short canals. it may have something to do with the sound not having any distance to become in any way diffuse <- the reason they use the filter. the W3 when used with a short tip and inserted deeply; because of its low profile design may accentuate this more than other designs; so using a longer tip is recommended IMO

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey jinx you are correct. in the recording industry sibilance is usually caused by micing too close. so with vocalists (especially when a more intimate close micing is needed) you will sometimes see them using those circular filters in front of the mic. so it makes sense that placing the drivers so close to the eardrum may cause this with some people who have short canals. it may have something to do with the sound not having any distance to become in any way diffuse <- the reason they use the filter. the W3 when used with a short tip and inserted deeply; because of its low profile design may accentuate this more than other designs; so using a longer tip is recommended IMO

cool thanks for clearing it up, the ear canal reason seems more logical now thanks!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 91
It might also be instructive to know if those who hear sibilance with the W3 also hear it with other IEMs. If they only hear it with the W3 that could be particularly useful for potential buyers.

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted with these things, but I'd dump them in a heartbeat if they sounded sibilant to me.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 91
Sibilance on every IEM that I had - W3, E500, UM2 and some customs.

The worst sibilance on UM2 and customs. The mildest on E500. W3 is between.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 91
Wilfredo doesn't mind sibilance...surprisingly. In fact, many times he will "count" the number of times he hears sibilance within a given track.

Kind of fun, and certainly another way to enjoy the music

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilfredo doesn't mind sibilance...surprisingly. In fact, many times he will "count" the number of times he hears sibilance within a given track.

Kind of fun, and certainly another way to enjoy the music

Me too! Thought it was kind of a strange way to listen to songs, but I guess not. I have even marked down the number to sibilance occurances heard in a track.

Hey, any way you enjoy the music. Sibilance is kinda fun

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 91
No sibilance here. that's with all the tips that fit in my ears. I generally use the medium ultraflex tips.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #30 of 91
Had some hints of it on some tracks, not all, with the modded flanges (made them into bi-flanges), but with a new pair of tri-flanges and only a little trim of the stalk, absolutely no sibilance, none. Perfect tip for me. I am finally experiencing the real W3 sound. It's amazing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back