Vote: Do you have sibilance issues with your westone 3?
Feb 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #76 of 91
Hmm, I am still lovin the Phonaks, to be honest. All I can say is my ears just must like the PFE sound signature more right now. But the W3s are a good IEM too, just different. I also still feel the W3 bass is a tad overwhelming, so I have to EQ it back a little as well. More listening to do.

I did try the olives earlier, but I tried the medium, and they would not seal in my right ear unless I press on the W3 (I have weird ears). For some strange reason, the smalls work in both. In my case, if my ears were symmetrical, I would not have half the fit problems I do with IEMs.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #77 of 91
I am starting to notice a little siblance particularly with vocals. I was a little surprised when I popped the UM2's in and the vocals on some Claire Martin music I was playing sounded SO much better/smoother with the UM2's and no EQ adjustments could "fix" it with W3. I am sure the recessed midrange design of W3 is part of this so I'm getting a little dis-enchanted with my W3's.
eek.gif
It is NOT a smooth and balanced IEM unless you like trance/hip hop. More on that in a different thread later. Pressed for time right now.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #79 of 91
Interesting, since IE8s seem to be sweeping the Head-Fi IEM nation right now. Can you do more comparisons. I am thinking of getting the IE8s, but not selling the W3s (keeping both). Is that what you are doing?

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had mine about 2 months and love them to bits. No issue with sibilance or anything else.

Fit and isolation are head and shoulders above my IE8's.....

Have the UE tips not reduced the gap a little?
I still haven't managed to gently coax/shove/force/smash my ones onto the nozzle yet
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

Had mine about 2 months and love them to bits. No issue with sibilance or anything else.

Fit and isolation are head and shoulders above my IE8's.....

if u had too keep either the ie8 or w3 which would be the one and why?

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #82 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have the UE tips not reduced the gap a little?
I still haven't managed to gently coax/shove/force/smash my ones onto the nozzle yet
frown.gif

The UE tips have helped and that's what I'm using at present.

The fit doesn't affect the sound quality too much, it's the isolation that's the problem.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #83 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you really compare the W3 to the IE8's? Aren't they totally different technology?

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh man that's tough because they both offer something quite brilliant but in a different way.

I guess the only way to answer would be to say which offers the best value for money.....

I paid £280 for the W3's and £204 for the IE8's.

The Westone build quality IMHO is lacking somewhat for something costing so much. Just things like the plastic around the jack looks a little shabby and the monitors themselves aren't anything special to look at, it's hard to put into words but they don't shout out ''look at me I'm expensive or quality'' they do however reveal every nuance of recording detail even if a little clinical at times.

Now the IE8's are a work of art in terms of build quality. Damn, even the packaging is beautiful. They certainly look nice
bigsmile_face.gif
The sound quality is just awesom, midrange rich and just really musical or involving. When you listen to them you want to keep listening as they don't sound like any other IEM's (IMO).

So, I've digressed....the $Million question if I absolutely couldn't keep both?? I'd keep the IE8's there I've said it! In terms of value for money the IE8's have it.

But hey it's all subjective......

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #86 of 91
Quote:

Oh man that's tough because they both offer something quite brilliant but in a different way.

I guess the only way to answer would be to say which offers the best value for money.....

I paid £280 for the W3's and £204 for the IE8's.

The Westone build quality IMHO is lacking somewhat for something costing so much. Just things like the plastic around the jack looks a little shabby and the monitors themselves aren't anything special to look at, it's hard to put into words but they don't shout out ''look at me I'm expensive or quality'' they do however reveal every nuance of recording detail even if a little clinical at times.

Now the IE8's are a work of art in terms of build quality. Damn, even the packaging is beautiful. They certainly look nice
bigsmile_face.gif
The sound quality is just awesom, midrange rich and just really musical or involving. When you listen to them you want to keep listening as they don't sound like any other IEM's (IMO).

So, I've digressed....the $Million question if I absolutely couldn't keep both?? I'd keep the IE8's there I've said it! In terms of value for money the IE8's have it.

But hey it's all subjective......

Yes, it is. I am just starting to appreciate the W3s cause I just got the right sleeves (see post above) for my ears. But let's say they cost the same, taking the value prop out of the mix. Which one to keep? I only ask because I am considering the IE8s, but with my new appreciation for the W3s (listening to them now on the Zune, Abbey Lincoln/Got to Pay the Band), wondering if I really need both. I also really love the PFEs, for different reasons (much like your IE8 and W3 situation).

Anyway, even money, still keeping the IE8s?

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is. I am just starting to appreciate the W3s cause I just got the right sleeves (see post above) for my ears. But let's say they cost the same, taking the value prop out of the mix. Which one to keep? I only ask because I am considering the IE8s, but with my new appreciation for the W3s (listening to them now on the Zune, Abbey Lincoln/Got to Pay the Band), wondering if I really need both. I also really love the PFEs, for different reasons (much like your IE8 and W3 situation).

Anyway, even money, still keeping the IE8s?

If they cost the same it would be too tight to call.......

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #88 of 91
I just received my Westone 3s yesterday. I hear absolutely ZERO sibilance with them, even with aggressive and low bitrate music. The treble is smooth and natural. I don't understand how anyone can hear harshness/sibilance with these.
confused_face_2.gif
By contrast my M-Audio Q40s have a much harsher treble for example.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #89 of 91
I just found this thread, so sorry to bring it back to life..

I recently got my W3s and I'm loving them. I do get a little sibilance with certain tips though. I can/do live with it, but once you learn about it / hear it, it's hard to unhear it, lol.

Here's an overview of the included tips, from my standpoint (I can get a good seal with all the styles, assuming the correct size):

-Clear silicon - The most sibilance, for me. The bass is a little weak.
-Black silicon - A little less sibilance. A little better bass. I don't know what it's called, but these have amazing left/right separation for me too. Much much better than any other included tips... it sounds on some tracks like the sound is coming from outside my ears, whereas the other tips sound like the phones are squirting the music into my head, if that makes sense. I've been using these tips because of this effect and the fact that I feel they are best balanced for me (except the sibilance) in terms of the good bass, mids, treble, and comfort.
-Comply tips - Great midrange, the treble sounds nice and natural, reduced/almost nonexistent sibilance, but noticeably reduced bass and isolation.
-Triple flanges (modded to slightly shorten stalk) - Absolutely no sibilance. Significantly increased bass - the most of any tip without question. Midrange also increased. These really kill the treble though. I like a bright speaker, so this was unacceptable to me. When A/B'ing them with the other tips, I really preferred the other tips' sound even with the sibilance. Although, I will say I did like the bass of these the most of any tip. I was using these for a while as I thought they sounded best initially, but they would get itchy and uncomfortable after a while. When I switched to other tips for comfort that's when I noticed the sound difference in the treble area. Couldn't be more night/day. I wasn't surprised they removed the sibilance, because all treble was noticeably muted vs the other tips, particularly the clear and black silicones.
-Triple flanges (modded to remove the smallest flange (also with same shortened stalk)) - This brought the sibilance right back and also removed the bass that I was liking. Essentially, this made these tips sound almost exactly like the black silicon tips, only without as much of the crazy left/right "outside my ears" separation. After removing the last flange, I then shortened the stalk to be flush with the bottom flange, and this made the sound even closer to the black silicon tips. The sound is nearly identical now, and the fit and comfort are also very close. I think the black tips edge them out in both areas, so I've been using them.

I'm very interested to hear from people who have had similar experiences but also own the UM56 tips. I'm sort of interested in buying some, but I'm curious which tips they will sound most like. I would hate to pay all that money and go through the trouble, only to find out that I still prefer the black silicon tips. My ideal tip would be pretty much the exact sound of the black silicon tips, but without the sibilance and possibly with a little bit more bass (if we're talking ideal).

I also plan to try the black olives (medium I guess since I used medium for all the other tips), but I'm hesitant to spend the $20 (or more if I end up trying both small and medium), wondering if I'll even like the results better than the black silicons.

Soo.. anyone try the UM56 tips after having sibilance issues with the included tips?

Those of you who tried the black olives that cured the sibilance... what size black olives did you use, and which size of the included clear/black silicon tips were you using -- is there a correlation between the two as far as size?

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #90 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soo.. anyone try the UM56 tips after having sibilance issues with the included tips?

Those of you who tried the black olives that cured the sibilance... what size black olives did you use, and which size of the included clear/black silicon tips were you using -- is there a correlation between the two as far as size?

I haven't really had any sibilance issues. The few times I have heard any sibilance, it was limited to certain songs that I think were poorly recorded. I got a pair of UM56 (Otoblast silicone) to liven up the sound from my Shure SE530s, which I found somewhat dull. I later sold my 530s after I got a pair of W3s.

Let me just say that there isn't really any comparison between the stock tips and the UM56. Once you get a pair that fits you properly (it took me several refits), the level of clarity, detail, and crispness just can't be matched by any other tip. The bass is powerful but clean and well-defined, while the mid-range moves slightly forward. If I had to choose a similar stock tip, I guess it would be the triple flanges (modded to bi-flange), but again there really isn't a comparison.

I think they were easily worth the time and money invested. I'd say they provide effortless isolation, meaning it doesn't feel like I'm cramming in a huge tip like the tri-flanges to block out noise, and the sounds of yourself breathing, walking, etc. (I think it's called "occlusion") are minimal in comparison to tips like the grey silicone and triple flange.

I've only tried the Shure black foam olives briefly because I felt they sounded way too dark and muffled. Plus, they really stick to the nozzles and are hard to remove.

Right now, I use the UM56 for just about every situation except for sleeping--I find the grey silicone and Complys more comfortable to sleep on. Also, after a few hours the UM56 cause some itchiness in my ears; if it gets really bad, I switch to the grey silicones, which I find the least irritating out of all the tips I have tried except maybe the Shure olives. And I've tried the yellow foams, P and T Complys, and grey/clear silicones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back