Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 3, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #4,876 of 5,717
I agree I think that is what I am missing with the Elysium, that pleasing bass of the VE8 which for me isnt quite there on the Elysium. It loses some of the fun and excitement I got from the VE8, probably not best suited to my preference in music which is quite low-end driven.
The Ely will never be a bass monster. However, you can improve it a bit. A PW-1950’s cable will add to its bass response. Also, changing tips might help you as well. My favorite tips that I use whenever possible are the AzlaSednaEarFit Light Shorts. These will typically allow for a more impactful bass. Other tips might do same ( as mine is a custom Ely I cannot test for you ).

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,877 of 5,717
Phonix really wins my heart as "the most allrounder" high end iem to date. Clean impact notes, deep black background, full body vocal, smooth sparkle treble with rich micro detail. Tonality is great, very balance, and I can simply throw any genres without breaking sweat. Could be I need to let go my U18S for this.

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #4,878 of 5,717
I sold my A18t nearly instantly after getting the erlky.

I haven’t heard phonix yet, but I would agree that erlky is one of the best all-round tuned iems I’ve heard.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4,879 of 5,717
I sold my A18t nearly instantly after getting the erlky.

I haven’t heard phonix yet, but I would agree that erlky is one of the best all-round tuned iems I’ve heard.
In term of character Phonix is not far from Elrkonig with setting 2. Phonix push even further in term of coherency, and more natural timbre. It's like more refine, and also a little more polite at the same time.

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #4,880 of 5,717
In term of character Phonix is not far from Elrkonig with setting 2. Phonix push even further in term of coherency, and more natural timbre. It's like more refine, and also a little more polite at the same time.

Thanks for this...I've been curious for a comparison of these two as I never got to hear the Erlkonig.

In other news, my bae:

4D43D4D0-4E39-4CED-8EF8-ACB8088CACA6.JPEG

FF075879-DCA5-4890-A6CB-F04B098552DE 2.JPEG

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4,881 of 5,717
Thanks for this...I've been curious for a comparison of these two as I never got to hear the Erlkonig.

In other news, my bae:

4D43D4D0-4E39-4CED-8EF8-ACB8088CACA6.JPEG

FF075879-DCA5-4890-A6CB-F04B098552DE 2.JPEG
Nice one man.

i haven't heard EXT, hopefully next week! Been read a lot of good things about them.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,882 of 5,717

In other news, my bae:

Heard the EXT on a demo tour (briefly, due to life stuff getting in the way).

I tried large silicone tips and got a great seal, but the shell in my left ear was uncomfortable to the point of actual pain after 15-30mins.
I tried the small silicone tip, and it was a little bit better, but not a huge amount, since I suspect it's the fat part of the stem just prior to the nozzle that's causing the discomfort. But in any case, with the small tips, I lost the great seal from before and the sound signature was poor.

Mind you, I've heard that with customs, they can cause these same feelings of discomfort or pain, but those feelings disappear with time as your ear gets accustomed to the fit? Have you or anyone else experienced this with the EXT?

Now, having said all this, I still keep thinking about the EXT to this day, and fortunately I've been able to get another chance to demo them at home from the tour.
Will receive them again at some time in the coming few weeks I think :)
I can see why you like them so much @Rockwell75
They take lots of the things we love about the Dorado 2020 and jack them up to extreme audiophile levels.

For me, the main thing I cannot get out of my memory is the way that they would take the basslines on certain songs, and just make me *really* notice those basslines for the first time, whilst infusing them (and the songs in general) with an absolutely stunning and addictive musicality.

I fear I may never recover :D

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,883 of 5,717
Given that the VE8 is probably the best fitting IEM I have ever experienced, how is the EXTR in terms of fit - I have read some reviews saying the fit isnt the best, so would be keen to hear especially from someone who has tried both.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #4,884 of 5,717
I'm currently using the VE Elysium as a balanced with an Astell core SR 15. I'm wondering if you can get even more out of the in-ear with more power. Has anyone happened to have experience with different headphone amplifiers and DAPs and can describe their impressions?

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,885 of 5,717
Given that the VE8 is probably the best fitting IEM I have ever experienced, how is the EXTR in terms of fit - I have read some reviews saying the fit isnt the best, so would be keen to hear especially from someone who has tried both.
It’s very varied, just type in the search bar. I’d say probably around a 40 / 60 chance it’ll fit you.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #4,886 of 5,717

Its an interesting iem (and one of the best if you can get a good fit, imo). I find for my ears the EXT needs to be angled in such a way that is not traditional. Its like im almost putting them in side-ways. Once in they feel like a custom.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #4,887 of 5,717
Are there any production issues of Phonix? I have ordered mine 3 months ago but still not yet receive them... the dealer keep saying there is no information when VE will ship them......:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #4,888 of 5,717

EXT's fit is dependent on your inner ear geometry and how it tolerates the bulge on the stem. The only way. you'll know is if you try yourself.

Are there any production issues of Phonix? I have ordered mine 3 months ago but still not yet receive them... the dealer keep saying there is no information when VE will ship them......:deadhorse::deadhorse:

I know Phonix are getting made and distributed-- could the problem be your dealer?

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #4,889 of 5,717
I do not know if you are in the US. If so, you might try canceling your order for refund and ordering from MusicTeck. Obviously check with Andrew at MusicTeck first to see how long he estimates. Good luck.

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #4,890 of 5,717
I do not know if you are in the US. If so, you might try canceling your order for refund and ordering from MusicTeck. Obviously check with Andrew at MusicTeck first to see how long he estimates. Good luck.

Yup as of a month ago it said "preorder" on Musicteck's Phonix page...now it says "add to cart"...so they are being made, and it seems Musicteck presently has some in stock. I think the issue with the gentleman above might be his dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back