Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jan 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #4,666 of 5,715
My Gestalt and Purple Haze reviews of PHöNIX and EXT are posted here:

Phonix:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-phönix-iep.25667/reviews

EXT
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-ext-new-premium-line-flagship-iem.25547/reviews

Both Reviews include an interview with Marcel and Oliver from Vision Ears.

Bob the fictitious but sexy interviewer thanks you for checking out his work. He is off on a Kölsch binge!

IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

Love it! I've only read the EXT review so far but I agree with all you've said of this royal purple masterpiece!

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4,667 of 5,715
Guys...

as i wasn't here for quite a long time i'm not really up to date. Now that i found the perfect tips for the EXT i find myself every day wondering which cable would be the best companion for my new toy.

Damn cable bulls**t is buggin' me again.

Man...i remember i sweared to myself not to get into this trap again....

giphy.gif

Anyways....i've tried Iliad with EXT as the stock cable is one step too smooth for my taste and .....yeah, it's quite nice (the Iliad) but a bit into your face and treble is sometimes a little bit too sharp, too bright. I like it clear but here it's sometimes too much for me. I think Iliad is the perfect partner for Ely.

I've almost pulled the trigger for Eletech's Aeneid but a mysterious power held me back. Any recomendations for the EXT here ? Who tried the Aeneid - EXT combo ? Or Socrates - EXT ? I would pay this insane price for the Aeneid if necessary but it's not that i can't wait to burn my money. I'd prefer Socrates if a few mates here would recommend it.
I'll let you know about those pairings tomorrow. :)

My Gestalt and Purple Haze reviews of PHöNIX and EXT are posted here:

Phonix:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-phönix-iep.25667/reviews

EXT
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-ext-new-premium-line-flagship-iem.25547/reviews

Both Reviews include an interview with Marcel and Oliver from Vision Ears.

Bob the fictitious but sexy interviewer thanks you for checking out his work. He is off on a Kölsch binge!

IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg
barney-stinson-wink.gif

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #4,668 of 5,715
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #4,669 of 5,715
I found the synergy of First Times with EXT sublime, the revealing of micro details is wonderful. First Times with VE8 is lovely too, didn’t like it enough with EVO and LX.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #4,670 of 5,715
7 days in and I don't know if I've ever been this captivated by an IEM before. Big, satisfying-but-non-obtrusive bass, full and present signature VE excellence in the mids, spellbinding resolution and deceptively good technicalities. Staging is immersive, weighted, holographic and vivid. The phrase "Traillii with DD bass" is probably cliched at this point but there are a lot of similarities. With the Bird I spoke of this "holodeck effect"-- with EXT it's not so much about openness and spaciousness but about a real tangible sense of 3-d weight-- but in both cases the holographic effect is pronounced. All the other IEMs I have on me right now-- including Phonix-- sound a little 2-dimensional to me after hours with EXT. In fact EXT has made it difficult for me to go back to any IEM after hearing what it can do. From now on I'll stop trying to compare it to this IEM or that because I don't think that justice can be done to EXT that way-- yes it shares many similarities to other IEMs...but it is fundamentally it's own thing....and it's a beautiful thing. There is new ground being broken here. Not since hearing Elysium & Traillii for the first time has my sense of what can be accomplished with IEMs been so broadened. I will be mailing off the tour kit to the next participant on Monday and from then it will be an agonizing wait until I can get my hands on my own EXT and further immerse myself in the beautiful and bodied natural depths of the soundscape this IEM provides.

I put on a Thieaudio cable I had on hand and I kind of like the contrast of the earthy tone of the cable to the royal majesty of the IEM-- it's a nice parallel to the sound.

1BC1801D-D303-4BCB-864D-2A5F26AB6AC9.JPEG

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #4,671 of 5,715
I found the synergy of First Times with EXT sublime, the revealing of micro details is wonderful. First Times with VE8 is lovely too, didn’t like it enough with EVO and LX.
@Sound~Patriot , I agree with the recommendation of the First Times cable with the EXT.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,672 of 5,715
Since I'm going to be mailing the tour kit away tomorrow I figured I better post some impressions of the Phonix. As some may have already gleaned between the two IEMs the EXT has touched a deeper chord with me as it's pretty much an incarnation of all my IEM dreams rolled into one. I will soon be purchasing my own and when that time comes I will take the additional time needed to fully immerse myself in the EXT and put together a full review. For the time being let my post (and gushing) from yesterday count as my "impressions so far". I want to make sure my love for the EXT doesn't take away from the glory and grandeur of the Phonix, an IEM that's just as amazing in its own right and is likely the more approachable and safer choice for many. I have often characterized DD vs. BA sound as "emotional, natural & musical" vs "analytic, technical, and descriptive". What VE have provided are two spectacular and visionary (pun intended) IEMs that not only each represent an epitome of the strengths and character of the driver types they use, but also go a good way to transcending those boundaries as well. Yes EXT is an embodiment of a natural sound & musical perfection but it is also presents highly technical, impeccably resolving and intoxicatingly immersive 3-d soundscape that, in terms of its sonic capabilities does so much to completely pull me into a bodied 3-d soundscape that one could almost call it "sonic virtual reality". Phonix, likewise, transcends the limitations I'd previously ascribed to pure BA sets, Yes one is taken right away by its clean, transparent, balanced, highly resolving & technical sound-- but just evident are its addictive musicality, bodied muscular sound and fantastic bass. It's by no means a "basshead IEM" (especially if you're really looking for sub-bass) but the bass has weight and authority and comes closer to really crossing that "feel it in your chest" threshold as I've yet heard with from a BA set.

The most remarkable quality that jumps out at one from both IEMs is the peerless the tuning. In my experience, and as far as. my tastes and sensibilities go, only Oriolus can stand alongside VE when it comes to the quality of their tuning-- and this is something very evident in VE's two flagships. Yes the characteristic excellence in the mid-range that can be said to define VE's "house sound" is certainly present-- but it's more than just that. It's a tuning that, whatever the driver-medium being worked with, brings out the best that the drivers have to offer. It's a tuning that straddles that beautiful line between musicality and technical proficiency that somehow manages to be entirely faithful to all the music you throw at it while simultaneously bringing out the best that the driver configure in question-- BAs in the case of Phonix, DD & e-stats in EXT-- has to offer. With Vision Ears IEMs I'm not drawn to the music over the gear, or the gear over the music-- I am being compelled to savor the best of both worlds-- and it's an utterly intoxicating experience that I never want to end whenever I'm listening to either the EXT or Phonix. It can be a little jarring going from one to the other-- but after I settle in to either and let my brain adjust, my heart is in want of nothing. Phonix in particular is so good think it may have finally hit the ceiling in terms of what an "all BA" IEM can do.

63761D5A-8749-43BC-830C-27E8F0A5F570.JPEG.

Following are some compiled Phonix impressions from the week, starting with Day 1:

Initial out-of-box impressions: Phönix is legit. Like may have usurped Traillii for me legit. I’ve never heard BA bass like this before— I can feel it in my chest. It’s not as transparent as Traillii but resolution is insane…this degree of resolution alongside such great bass and a stunningly rich, coherent, energetic-yet-classy-&-disciplined sound is a rare treat and in this Phönix may presently be without equal anywhere. I’m utterly transfixed right now. More to come.

Day 2 and Beyond:

Phonix has in spades that "precision" one stereotypically associates with German (ed: and Itialian! :) craftsmanship. There is also a deep and fundamental sense of inspiration & clarity that pervades the entire signature. I listened to a great interview with Johannes from VE once and he described their creative process which consists in them forming a clear "vision" of what they're going for and then using everything at their disposal to bring that vision into being. This is where the name Vision Ears comes from. Everything about the Phönix - it's name, it's look, the vibe of mythological power the name Phönix carries with it, the sound signature-- smacks of being the result of a singular vision made manifest. In addition it's got impeccable synergy with the Shanling M8. Out of the box EXT sounded a bit too bassy out of the M8 but Phönix is "Chef's Kiss" paired with it.

After a few days, I'm on the fence about Phonix vs. Traillii-- they each have their strengths and I'm not sure either could entirely replace the other.

Tonal balance of the Phonix from bass -> treble is superb-- I perceive the whole signature as a unity and am not drawn to bass or treble or mids specifically. The signature presents with the sort of magnificent you can only get with single driver setups and has anice weighty, sure footed sound. There is none of the BA-thin-ness that I often complain about due to being continually surrounded with DD IEMs. Resolution with the Phonix may is up there with the best IEMs I've ever heard while still still maintaining a fundamental degree of musicality. Yes something like the Odin is more resolving but it's also far more clinical sounding. Phonix is very smooth, relaxing and non-fatiguing up top, while also being incredibly dynamic. It's not very source sensitive, and very easily driveable, though can be prone to some hiss. There is some nice presence to the mid-bass-- which is a personal thing of mine, and while I perceive nothing missing in sub-bass or extension people for whom this is a massive priority may not be as taken with Phonix. This is some of the most forgiving BA timbre I've encountered yet and it is coupled with a degree of precision & clarity to Phonix's sound that is unique in my experience and which is straight up addicting

Further to the above I started this morning by "breaking my IEM fast" for the day with the Phonix and holy God almighty these are amazing IEMs. They do indeed have that Traillii effect, albeit manifested differently, where I put them on and am instantly sucked into their beautiful, technical, musical, precise, engaging and natural sound....these IEMs are stupefyingly good.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #4,674 of 5,715
This new album is sounding absolutely phenomenal on EXT... the tracks with female vocals pack so much emotion. I highly recommend "What have you done to me?" and "Nuclear Lethargy". Well worth a listen!

I'm mailing the tour kit off today and will begin the countdown until I can get my hands on my own EXT.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #4,675 of 5,715
I'm mailing the tour kit off today and will begin the countdown until I can get my hands on my own EXT.
Have you got time to listen to that album before you send them off? Your time away will make that first moment of popping your new EXT in your ears and pressing play all the sweeter!

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #4,676 of 5,715
Have you got time to listen to that album before you send them off? Your time away will make that first moment of popping your new EXT in your ears and pressing play all the sweeter!

Nope I'm at work now (with the Zen Pro)...I've heard lots of Lane 8 with EXT though and can vouch for your statement :D

Relative to my tastes & preferences EXT is as close to perfect as I've yet heard in an IEM. It's going to be a painful and emotional separation until I get my own.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #4,678 of 5,715
Listening to the Elysium plugged with PlusSound Tricopper X8 out of the Pro iCAN Signature in Tube+ mode, with Musician Pegasus R2R DAC... Pure bliss :heartbeat:

C6BF32E9-580E-4625-A93E-5AF06647A3A1.jpeg

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #4,679 of 5,715
I am very happy about my new VE EXT and am really very excited so far!

Otherwise, I have a 64Audio Tia Trio with EA Code51 (SpinFit 145) and an EE Odin (Azla Sedna Original) with the PWA power breaker 1960-2 symmetrically (4.4) with the A&K SE180 with SEM1 (ES9038PRO), SEM2 (AK4497EQ x 2) and SEM3 (ES9038Q2M x 4) and with the Hiby RS6 for HRA streaming with Quobuz and Tidal to listen to music (1960s/1970s Rock/Pop, Singer/Songwriter, Independent/Alternative, some electro, someJazz).

The VE EXT is now intended to combine the best of the trio (holographic stage, fun sund, sub-bass effect, musical) and the Odin (lots of texture of vocals and instruments, micro details, instrument separation and a great, realistic bass). I was looking for a softer Odin with more musicality, a bigger fun factor, a big holographic stage, good mids and beautiful representation of singing.

After the EXT (Azla Sedna Short Lights) has now run for 100 hours, my plan seems to have worked out well. The already mentioned source-dependent performance increase of the EXT is already noticeable between the RS6 and the A&K SEM3 (the best of the three A&K SEM modules - my opinion) in favor of A&K (RS6: Balanced 4 Vrms / A&K SE180: Balanced 6Vrms). Since I have R2R sound of the RS6 but also very good with the EXT, I am now thinking about buying the Cayin C9 as a supplement.

I am actually quite satisfied with the original VE-Copper-Cable from the EXT. My Code51 also fits not badly to the EXT (brighter, larger stage, texture bass better, treble more emphasized than the VE-Cable), but the vocals or the mids are less colored in comparison. Also the Stormbreaker-Cablel sounds good with the EXT (bigger stage, more details, but a bit smoother, but otherwise similar mood to the VE-Cable), but it has worse bass and seems a bit more boring to me.

Therefore, I am considering whether I should buy the PWA First Time, the Plussound Tri-Copper or the Plussound Copper+ for the EXT. Of course, the new cable should also fit as well as possible with the Odin and the Tia Trio. The PWA Orpheus and the EA Centurion are out of the question because they are too expensive for me. Which cable would be the optimal choice?

For any feedback I am very grateful!

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #4,680 of 5,715
I am very happy about my new VE EXT and am really very excited so far!

Otherwise, I have a 64Audio Tia Trio with EA Code51 (SpinFit 145) and an EE Odin (Azla Sedna Original) with the PWA power breaker 1960-2 symmetrically (4.4) with the A&K SE180 with SEM1 (ES9038PRO), SEM2 (AK4497EQ x 2) and SEM3 (ES9038Q2M x 4) and with the Hiby RS6 for HRA streaming with Quobuz and Tidal to listen to music (1960s/1970s Rock/Pop, Singer/Songwriter, Independent/Alternative, some electro, someJazz).

The VE EXT is now intended to combine the best of the trio (holographic stage, fun sund, sub-bass effect, musical) and the Odin (lots of texture of vocals and instruments, micro details, instrument separation and a great, realistic bass). I was looking for a softer Odin with more musicality, a bigger fun factor, a big holographic stage, good mids and beautiful representation of singing.

After the EXT (Azla Sedna Short Lights) has now run for 100 hours, my plan seems to have worked out well. The already mentioned source-dependent performance increase of the EXT is already noticeable between the RS6 and the A&K SEM3 (the best of the three A&K SEM modules - my opinion) in favor of A&K (RS6: Balanced 4 Vrms / A&K SE180: Balanced 6Vrms). Since I have R2R sound of the RS6 but also very good with the EXT, I am now thinking about buying the Cayin C9 as a supplement.

I am actually quite satisfied with the original VE-Copper-Cable from the EXT. My Code51 also fits not badly to the EXT (brighter, larger stage, texture bass better, treble more emphasized than the VE-Cable), but the vocals or the mids are less colored in comparison. Also the Stormbreaker-Cablel sounds good with the EXT (bigger stage, more details, but a bit smoother, but otherwise similar mood to the VE-Cable), but it has worse bass and seems a bit more boring to me.

Therefore, I am considering whether I should buy the PWA First Time, the Plussound Tri-Copper or the Plussound Copper+ for the EXT. Of course, the new cable should also fit as well as possible with the Odin and the Tia Trio. The PWA Orpheus and the EA Centurion are out of the question because they are too expensive for me. Which cable would be the optimal choice?

For any feedback I am very grateful!
Well, that post just won the flex of the year award for a first post!

Holy Batboy! Those are some goods and looks like more goods to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back