Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #4,171 of 5,715
Thank you for your reply. I’m happy to read your assessment. I wasn’t into IEMs when the Erikönig was released, so I don’t know anything about it other than many here on this thread are admirers. I love the sound of the VE 8, so adding the new flagship is definitely of interest.

I’m perhaps a bit weird about fit and finish, but I’m a perfectionist when it comes to the gear I collect. I absolutely love finely made product, whatever it may be. ✌️

I think the VE8 universal uses a sort of same type of acrylic as the OG Elysium for the shell, correct?

While those are still good quality shells, they do not compare to the Erlkonig/Phonix build, you definitely feel like you're getting your money worth in build here, but I can't speak for QC. I had an OG Erlkonig, Erlkonig LE, and now Phonix, and all 3 of them were spectacular in build. I was not too impressed with the OG Elysium build, the EXT build is great too although it still doesn't feel as premium as the Phonix.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #4,172 of 5,715
How’s the fit and finish on the Phönix? When I bought my universal VE 8, the mating of the faceplate to the shell was not perfect. I was ok with it because I got it on sale, but if I’m going to spend nearly 4K for an IEM, I want it to be perfect. ✨
The left earpiece on my VE8 had the same fit issue with overhang of the faceplate. Although it wasn't really noticeable by sight, I could feel it every time I handled it. The right earpiece was perfect. The faceplate fit on both earpieces of my Phonix are perfect. That was the first thing I checked. The overall fit and finish is really top notch.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #4,173 of 5,715
Totl ve stuff (erlky) has the best build I’ve seen to date in any iem.

I would expect no less from Phonix.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4,174 of 5,715
The left earpiece on my VE8 had the same fit issue with overhang of the faceplate. Although it wasn't really noticeable by sight, I could feel it every time I handled it. The right earpiece was perfect. The faceplate fit on both earpieces of my Phonix are perfect. That was the first thing I checked. The overall fit and finish is really top notch.

Thank you for your reply. Same here but opposite, only the right side had the irregularity, the left side was perfect. I would expect a 4K iem to be perfectly built, but since I’m relatively new to VE, I had to ask about the Phönix.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #4,175 of 5,715
So... as I am eagerly waiting for the EXT to arrive at my doorstep which should be today... what's the consensus on tips?
I seem to gather Azla Sedna are something to try?

I have lost any habit to have to tip roll since I have gone custom :p

While I am here : has anyone looked up the possibility to have custom tips made for the EXT ? (like : https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips )

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #4,176 of 5,715
So... as I am eagerly waiting for the EXT to arrive at my doorstep which should be today... what's the consensus on tips?
I seem to gather Azla Sedna are something to try?

I have lost any habit to have to tip roll since I have gone custom :p

While I am here : has anyone looked up the possibility to have custom tips made for the EXT ? (like : https://www.adv-sound.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips )
The ADV tips work surprisingly well with the EXT in terms of comfort, probably the best I’ve tried so far. If you are going to get them though make sure you get the size up from your usual as they come up a little small. Azla Crystals also work well but are a bit of a nightmare to get on. My favourites so far have been the Spinfit CP155’s due to my wonky ear canals.

Edit - I didn’t see that you were looking at the custom molded ADV tips, I thought you were on about the oval ones. I have no experience with the custom molded tips.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #4,177 of 5,715
Bob: Tell me about tips on the Phonix and Extended. I heard SLC that you had fun getting tips on the EXT. You are like a little boy with your red plastic tackle box of tips.

SLC: I do enjoy a place to have all my tips and have them separated and organizes. Tip rolling is my first ritual after unboxing.

Starting with Phonix because that has been easy. Every tip fit and every tip provided an appropriate seal. I ended up sticking with the Spinfits CP100Z because that was the only tip that allows the Erlkonig to fit perfectly and seal perfectly.

With Extended I started with the four versions of the Azla SednaEarFit tips (sort of like mama bear, papa bear, baby bear and other bear). The “short” versions would not fit onto the tip. The regular versions would eventually go on them, but it was a painful process. There is a lip at the end of the wide tip that makes it difficult. Once I got those on the fit was just ok and the seal was just ok.

I then tried numerous Spinfit tips. Those have a softer rubber base so they would slip on fine. But the feeling of the seal was not perfect.

I then had a Eureka moment and remembered my go to tips of the past. The OG and ++ versions of the Spiral Dots tips. Both go on and off easily and both provide the feeling of a seal and comfort is excellent with those and EXT. The Spiral Dots OG have a softer base than ++ and are a little wider at the base. I ended up sticking with the OG version. They work perfectly with Ext for me.

I have had to sell numerous IEMs because of not being able to find a tip (hence the collection) that gives me the feeling of a seal and keeps the IEM in the ear securely and comfortably.

I sold my first Erlkonig and Elysium due to not being able to find a tip that worked with them. I missed the sound so much, I added to my tip collection and purchased them again. Luckily I found tips that worked perfectly for me on both.

Now I just need my red Schwinn bicycle with banana seat and chrome backrest. I will then take my rod and reel and my red tackle box and find a place to fish!

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #4,178 of 5,715
And the eagle has landed! Kudos to @Vision Ears, I was so excited about the EXT but now I am thrilled :)

Here are a few quick iPhone pics

image4.jpeg

That matching box is so nice and those shells... :heart_eyes:

image3.jpegimage6.jpeg

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

I had a couple of hours on them, first out of the box then after the afternoon burning in as I was taken by work... they already opened up a bit. Using the stock cable for now.

First I struggled with the Azla Crystal and took a few minutes to put them on (oh my...) then tipped rolled a bit as the Azla irritated my ears (yes, I am not used to tips anymore...). I finally landed on SpinFits and the fit is just perfect.

The EXT are such seductive IEMs in terms of signature, very exciting for sure and they demand your attention just like the OG Elysium but as advertised the bass is another beast! It's been a good long while since I had so much fun with bass and my inner basshead has a very big smile and my toe tapping to the beat. The sheer power of the EXT is fantastic... the biggest surprise is how fast and controlled the DD is out of the box : this is quite a fast dynamic, it can keep up with faster paced tracks easily and it provides a very clean and snappy delivery. Such an energetic brand of bass! I ran through my usual tracks and was clearly wowed... The texture on percussions is also remarkable there is power but also nuance and boatloads of detail.

To my ears the midrange is not that far off the OG Elysium I expected a bit warmer midrange from what I had read but really the warmth is rather infused from the bass and EXT seems to be just as technical as the OG it just jumps at you a bit less since bass is so powerful... burn in might change things but I don't hear the mids as being warmer or thicker. There is a good amount of bite so I wouldn't say the EXT is a more relaxed OG at least running through my test tracks it's not how I hear it.

Ah and last, but not least... treble is - to me - a notch above the OG and I must say I wouldn't mind an OG v2 with that 4 EST setup. This is possibly the best 4 EST implementation I have heard to date compared to the Volt and Spark custom, we'll see how it compares to Mentawai once it lands. EXT treble bring balance to the powerful bass with both a superb extension and energy. The EXT is from this standpoint much more energetic than I expected from reading impressions of a thicker and overall warmer OG.

You can already tell I am a happy camper and the EXT managed to pull me back towards universals... fit is really superb for a uni and I have hours of getting to know the EXT better... When FiiO M17 lands (any day now...) I think that power will come to good use :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,180 of 5,715
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,182 of 5,715
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,184 of 5,715
Since you're mentioning cables... I have plugged the Penon Totem as the stock cable exhibits cutoffs of both channels when it's not perfectly straight... probably a soldering issue I'll exchange it...

Bottom line, Totem makes the EXT smoother and fuller, consistent with many impressions I have read and that's interesting as it's a cable I use often with the Elysium.
You loose nothing in terms of power down low, mids are fuller and a tad thicker and up top it's just as extended but a bit less intense.
I think cable rolling will prove interesting with the EXT... look forward to trying out the PlusSound X8 Tri Copper when it arrives.

Those babies are so engaging whichever cable you plug :)
I am MESMERIZED really...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,185 of 5,715
Since you're mentioning cables... I have plugged the Penon Totem as the stock cable exhibits cutoffs of both channels when it's not perfectly straight... probably a soldering issue I'll exchange it...

Bottom line, Totem makes the EXT smoother and fuller, consistent with many impressions I have read and that's interesting as it's a cable I use often with the Elysium.
You loose nothing in terms of power down low, mids are fuller and a tad thicker and up top it's just as extended but a bit less intense.
I think cable rolling will prove interesting with the EXT... look forward to trying out the PlusSound X8 Tri Copper when it arrives.

Those babies are so engaging whichever cable you plug :)
The 4 wire tri-copper is so so nice on EXT. Probably my preferred pairing with the EXT out of all of the cables I’ve tried so far (plussound Silver+gold 8 wire, stormbreaker (1960s) and Loki 8 wire)… which is unfortunate considering I’ve just got the Loki for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back