Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,646 of 5,715
Man, I will be very surprised if I like that rolled off bass response.
The ELY's sub-bass extension is actually quite good. I think that sub-bass thump is actually its low-end's strongest quality. I've had people who've force-fit my custom (meaning they wouldn't have had as good of a seal) say the same. Obviously, though, it's not gonna compete against a DD, let alone something like EE's W9.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,647 of 5,715
The ELY's sub-bass extension is actually quite good. I think that sub-bass thump is actually its low-end's strongest quality. I've had people who've force-fit my custom (meaning they wouldn't have had as good of a seal) say the same. Obviously, though, it's not gonna compete against a DD, let alone something like EE's W9.
My concern is the elevated treble relative to the bass. The FR curve is shifted counter clockwise from my normal preference. I need to hear it, but I can't imagine I will perceive it as anything but extremely bass light.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #3,648 of 5,715
I would never call EXT has a recessed mid. It's just the mid is not the spotlight of the show like OG Elysium.
+1 on this.
Or, I might slightly change to say the mids are slightly recessed relative to the bass (which is consistent with the graphs), but the quality of the mids are A++.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #3,650 of 5,715
Indeed. This is that EXT measurement vs. one I took of my custom ELYSIUM some time ago, by the way:

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 02.02.11.png
I think if it were a beauty contest, I'd pick EXT over Ely and Phonix every time. That drooping bass sitting lower than the treble is just not a sound I want coming from my IEMs. I totally get what folks are saying about EXT's mids not being forward but still alluring, and how they sit separate the bass, which is more dominant. Another IEM that plays this trick very nicely is the IE 900, which makes me even more curious about EXT now, given the regard with which I hold the Senn.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #3,651 of 5,715
For you guys who have heard the VE8s, how do the mids and highs compare to the Ely or ext?
First of all. Sorry for my English and it's difficulty for me to describe the sound I heard. Anyway, I just did A/B test between my universal VE8 & EXT. Treble on EXT is much more crispy and more defined (but never harsh to me) than VE8. Vocal I think VE8 has slight more body (or forward) than EXT. You don't need me to emphasize again how good bass on EXT😉 Overall, EXT is more musical to me.

All above were done on SE180+ SEM2. EXT pair with Satin Athena and VE8 pair with Brise Yatono LE. They both on Alza Sedna Light short tips (same size).

EXT gives me a better fit on my ears than VE8.

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,653 of 5,715
I think if it were a beauty contest, I'd pick EXT over Ely and Phonix every time. That drooping bass sitting lower than the treble is just not a sound I want coming from my IEMs. I totally get what folks are saying about EXT's mids not being forward but still alluring, and how they sit separate the bass, which is more dominant. Another IEM that plays this trick very nicely is the IE 900, which makes me even more curious about EXT now, given the regard with which I hold the Senn.
Yeah, it's probably just a preference thing. In the long term, I tend to prefer IEMs that have equal elevation between the mid-bass and the midrange, then the sub-bass and treble a hair behind. That tends to give me the most balanced sound where the lead instrument gets 0.1% more focus than everything else, as I feel it should be. Whereas, if the sub-bass is equal to or greater than the midrange, it tends to take my focus away from the lead instrument when that wave of bass comes in. Even if it's only for a split-second, it does break immersion for me enough to have to reconstruct the soundscape in my mind. So, as always, it's down to preference, music and your natural biases.

Again, though, it's worth remembering that my graphs likely aren't the most reliable in the world, especially in low-end quantity. I'd trust Crinacle's more in that department.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #3,654 of 5,715
Phonix vs. EXT Comparison

I now have the Phonix to play next to my EXT and have to say that VE has two winners on its hands. They are both exotic top-tier IEMs that are standouts from the crowd. I don't have the ERL to compare to the Phonix, but feel that they are very close in character from memory - ERL setting two. They both have that euphoric, dreamy character that adds an extreme richness to the sound while sounding larger like full-sized headphones. They add a huge soundstage with space between instruments and a ton of dynamic character throughout the frequency range. It just feels like it has more power to drive textures equally throughout this broad frequency range.

I like both the EXT and the Phonix for different reasons with both offering exotic-level performance. Truthfully, I am quite ecstatic with either in my ears and the following remarks are just splitting hairs but I will try to contrast them for you. The Phonix has more character and thickness while the EXT has more clarity and spatial exactness. The Phonix is bigger sounding and has more power throughout the range where the EXT kicks more in the low end and offers more character to the bass. They both are smooth throughout the treble and quite detailed but the Phonix seems to reach higher. Mids are outstanding in both, richer in the EXT and bigger in the Phonix. The Phonix feels more expensive in the hand and is heavier and noticeably larger while the EXT is lighter and for me has a bit tighter fit sucking into my ears better. Both have nice isolation and fit to get a good seal which holds up to an active lifestyle.

I am hoping to have my EXT review done soon with better Phonix comparisons. The Phonix review should hopefully be done shortly thereafter depending on the day job. :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,655 of 5,715
Yeah, it's probably just a preference thing. In the long term, I tend to prefer IEMs that have equal elevation between the mid-bass and the midrange, then the sub-bass and treble a hair behind. That tends to give me the most balanced sound where the lead instrument gets 0.1% more focus than everything else, as I feel it should be. Whereas, if the sub-bass is equal to or greater than the midrange, it tends to take my focus away from the lead instrument when that wave of bass comes in. Even if it's only for a split-second, it does break immersion for me enough to have to reconstruct the soundscape in my mind. So, as always, it's down to preference, music and your natural biases.

Again, though, it's worth remembering that my graphs likely aren't the most reliable in the world, especially in low-end quantity. I'd trust Crinacle's more in that department.
Yeah definitely a preferences thing. That wave of bass you speak of is generally what my preferences come riding in on 😎 That said I can definitely appreciate a great IEM without bass emphasis (or, gulp, even DD bass) but only when there's little to no bass or drums in the track.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,659 of 5,715
I have been very curious about the EXT since I first heard if it becuse of people describing it as having beautiful mids, almost bought the elsyium because of that, but BA bass is a no go for me. I have the CA atlas in my collection and legend x but have been looking for something a bit more balanced. I bought the Odin but those upper mids were no joke so I sent it on its way. It really comes down to an iem that has been around for a while and many people love and a new pair that offers something exotic but has limited information on how it sounds due to being a recent release. Decisions decisions....

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #3,660 of 5,715
@Damz87 and I should have our Phonixs and EXTs in about a week. I am such an Ely and Erlky fan. I look forward to intensely comparing them. I am also a huge mids fan and the discussion about Elys mids being alluring and not forward is valid. I need the allure of the mids/vocals. If not then I end up selling them. Traillii and EVO are both wonderful in different ways. But the mids/vocals were not alluring enough for me.

There has been some discussion about Elys and why VE used a BA for the bass. Toward the end of the review of Elysium Damz and I did, Bob the fictitious but sexy interviewer asked Marcel and Oliver that exact question.

Below is the review that I am referencing. Damz and I will use a similar format for our EXT and Phonix reviews.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-elysium.23939/reviews#review-25898

Users who are viewing this thread

Back