Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 23, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #3,271 of 5,715
Agreed, I’m rocking that same combo EXT + Centurion, it’s such a great and resolving IEM on its own and then tossing on that cable just makes it even better in detail retrieval!
Centurion is out of my cable budget but I’m super excited to try my PPH8 with EXT! :wink:

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,274 of 5,715
No it's not. You should be fine.

Sadly I disagree with this. I tried E02 on l m h gain and without High gain you don't appreciate the lovely treble sparkle the EXT should provide. Just my opinion obviously.

IMG-20211025-WA0000.jpeg

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #3,275 of 5,715
Sadly I disagree with this. I tried E02 on l m h gain and without High gain you don't appreciate the lovely treble sparkle the EXT should provide. Just my opinion obviously.

IMG-20211025-WA0000.jpeg
I just can't believe how loud people can listen. EXT's sensitivity is 108.5 dB SPL, more driveable than Elysium. I listen to Elysium at low gain on M8 and that's well loud enough.

Folks please please protect your hearing and don't blow out your eardrums.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,276 of 5,715
I just can't believe how loud people can listen. EXT's sensitivity is 108.5 dB SPL, more driveable than Elysium. I listen to Elysium at low gain on M8 and that's well loud enough.

It's not an issue of volume, it's an issue of current

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,277 of 5,715

As above. These are not one and the same. I don't listen at loud levels. Infact it's more to do with dynamics at lower listening levels that is required.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,278 of 5,715
Hi everyone. Vocals on my Elysium definitely don't sound in the middle of my head. They are slightly closer to the right side. On my cayin N6 mk2, when I turn the "channel balance" to L10 (most possible), it moves the vocals close to the middle of my head.
When I connect them to my desktop rig, and compare to my focal clear on the same song (that what I have to compare with), the vocals on the clear are right in the middle, while on Elysium slightly to the right.
Is there a problem with them? A channel imbalance? Or that's how it is?

Example song where lyrics are not in the middle.

Thanks for helping.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #3,279 of 5,715
Hi everyone. Vocals on my Elysium definitely don't sound in the middle of my head. They are slightly closer to the right side. On my cayin N6 mk2, when I turn the "channel balance" to L10 (most possible), it moves the vocals close to the middle of my head.
When I connect them to my desktop rig, and compare to my focal clear on the same song (that what I have to compare with), the vocals on the clear are right in the middle, while on Elysium slightly to the right.
Is there a problem with them? A channel imbalance? Or that's how it is?

Example song where lyrics are not in the middle.

Thanks for helping.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like channel imbalance. Try messing with fit first. Sometimes, when you push a UIEM in deep, you can inadvertently angle it such that it fires toward your ear canal wall, rather than your eardrum. Try experimenting with different depths on the problematic side (the left side in this case) and see if it fixes the issue. Insert it, then pull it out bit by bit and see if the centre-image goes back to normal at. If the issue persists, you’ll have to send it back to your dealer or VE to get it tested and fixed.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #3,280 of 5,715
Yeah, that definitely sounds like channel imbalance. Try messing with fit first. Sometimes, when you push a UIEM in deep, you can inadvertently angle it such that it fires toward your ear canal wall, rather than your eardrum. Try experimenting with different depths on the problematic side (the left side in this case) and see if it fixes the issue. Insert it, then pull it out bit by bit and see if the centre-image goes back to normal at. If the issue persists, you’ll have to send it back to your dealer or VE to get it tested and fixed.
Thanks for the answer! I'll try it out. 👌👌

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,282 of 5,715
It's not an issue of volume, it's an issue of current
As above. These are not one and the same. I don't listen at loud levels. Infact it's more to do with dynamics at lower listening levels that is required.
C'mon guys that's just not true... gain is simply multiplication. Dynamic range literally doesn't change. If anything, signal-to-noise ratio and noise floor are likely to take a hit when using gain levels above unit gain.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/study-headphone-amp-gains-low-or-high.5495/

If you listen to reasonable loudness, at high gain it would be extremely difficult to wiggle the volume control.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #3,283 of 5,715
C'mon guys that's just not true... gain is simply multiplication. Dynamic range literally doesn't change. If anything, signal-to-noise ratio and noise floor are likely to take a hit when using gain levels above unit gain.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/study-headphone-amp-gains-low-or-high.5495/

If you listen to reasonable loudness, at high gain it would be extremely difficult to wiggle the volume control.
Ehhh try hooking up a headphone like the Abyss 1266TC to a decently powerful DAP - you can get the volume to where you need it but you can also clearly tell how underpowered it is

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,284 of 5,715

Turbo mode on the M8 is definitely a different sound to the other two modes , more so on something like the Elysium which requires a ton of power. Again, it's not about volume levels for me either.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,285 of 5,715
With most if not all IEMs, I need to stay on low gain with the DX300, to have a decent volume control. Using the balanced 4.4 mm port. I listen at ~70 dB.

I understand the Z1R is quite power hungry. I should have one in the course of this week. Let's see if that one is an exception to the rule..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back