Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,491 of 5,715
As comfortable as my LX customs with Spinfits.

I kinda hope Jack decides to do a run of LXSEs, only kinda because my disposable income has been sorely depleted. 🙁

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #2,493 of 5,715
You are right I should have made myself clear, sorry about that!

Regarding classical I mostly listen to (1) as you said, big orchestral works with or without additional vocalists or choruses (2) violin concerto, some sonata and some solo pieces - this is where I found the VE8 timbre accuracy peerless and on top of the Ely for some margin (a big YMMV.....I'm no string player but I do play with string players a lot so I'm big sucker for truly convincingly believable string sound - sometimes not necessarily the sweetest or the most pleasing but the most realistic and therefore the most satisfying, if you get what I mean). That said for the solo pieces the Ely is a relevation - sweet and with so much air, like transcending to the other world (3) more contemporary piano solo pieces (e.g. Scriabin) (piano works are best to check out tonal balance and VE8 outshines almost everything else I have ever got to hear)

Again, a big big YMMV and these are strictly personal. Elys are really pleasing to the ears most of the time, but sometimes I can't help but being a bit overly analytical when listening and there may be things bugging me that I can't wholeheartedly enjoy the music. VE8 is just as good for everything and I can totally put my trust in it to sit back, relax and enjoy

Thanks for the clarification. Hmm... One of the reasons I love the Elysium so much is that I did play cello in my youth and a bit of violin and recently had been learning viola da gamba. I also play piano, guitar and other stuff.. My point is is that the Elysium, to my ears, seemed to produce all of the sound of the instruments, strings or piano.. Some iems highlight the bow/string bite and rosiny sound so you can tell the difference between gut and steel strings where others favour the woody resonance of the instrument's body. I get both with the Elysium. Further, I get the sense of the mic placement, and a player's specific tone and instrument seems to come into light more. It's become a new dimension of excitement as not just the beauty of the music but a real increased highlight on the performer's influence in terms of style and their instrument.
Pianos likewise have their specific ring as a Steinway sounds different from a Bosendorfer...
In my modern classical crossover, where pianos are muted or papered or otherwise manipulated or altered, I can hear more what's been done.. and consequently get to be almost part of the composers process as well as the product.

Of course YMMV... and it does and I'm also certain that my hearing is probably benefitted from the treble in the Elysium over the VE8. We just had our hearing test and for my age I'm pretty good with minimal loss until the upper register in my right ear but a little less good in my left with some. But regardless of that which I think is more about preferences, I do find that the Elysium reproduces instruments accurately as I hear them now..

One thing for sure though is that you've really got me interested in hearing the VE8 again. Sounds like we are both happy with our choices though and for that we can both thank Vision Ears!

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #2,494 of 5,715
I've been really enjoying the sound of my custom Elysium which arrived a week or so back but have been struggling a little with the fit. I find my jaw getting slightly tired/sore from wearing the IEMs over a long time.

I suspect this is because the audiologist took an open mouth impression with a bite block. It appears that VE is recommending a closed mouth/relaxed jaw impression instead.

For those who have custom VE IEMs, may I know how were your impressions taken? Did you use a bite block, or have your mouth closed (and by closed, do you actually bite your teeth lightly in the process or just leave your jaw in a relaxed hang)?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #2,495 of 5,715
I've been really enjoying the sound of my custom Elysium which arrived a week or so back but have been struggling a little with the fit.

I suspect this is because the audiologist took an open mouth impression with a bite block. It appears that VE is recommending a closed mouth/relaxed jaw impression instead.

For those who have custom VE IEMs, may I know how were your impressions taken? Did you use a bite block, or have your mouth closed (and by closed, do you actually bite your teeth lightly in the process or just leave your jaw in a relaxed hang)?
Relaxed closed jaw here :)

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #2,496 of 5,715
Thanks for the clarification. Hmm... One of the reasons I love the Elysium so much is that I did play cello in my youth and a bit of violin and recently had been learning viola da gamba. I also play piano, guitar and other stuff.. My point is is that the Elysium, to my ears, seemed to produce all of the sound of the instruments, strings or piano.. Some iems highlight the bow/string bite and rosiny sound so you can tell the difference between gut and steel strings where others favour the woody resonance of the instrument's body. I get both with the Elysium. Further, I get the sense of the mic placement, and a player's specific tone and instrument seems to come into light more. It's become a new dimension of excitement as not just the beauty of the music but a real increased highlight on the performer's influence in terms of style and their instrument.
Pianos likewise have their specific ring as a Steinway sounds different from a Bosendorfer...
In my modern classical crossover, where pianos are muted or papered or otherwise manipulated or altered, I can hear more what's been done.. and consequently get to be almost part of the composers process as well as the product.

Of course YMMV... and it does and I'm also certain that my hearing is probably benefitted from the treble in the Elysium over the VE8. We just had our hearing test and for my age I'm pretty good with minimal loss until the upper register in my right ear but a little less good in my left with some. But regardless of that which I think is more about preferences, I do find that the Elysium reproduces instruments accurately as I hear them now..

One thing for sure though is that you've really got me interested in hearing the VE8 again. Sounds like we are both happy with our choices though and for that we can both thank Vision Ears!

Man you are way too cool playing all that...........I hope I had chosen to learn at least one string instrument when I was younger, I had grown to love the string sound more and more. I only play the piano / keyboard and do a little conducting.

Even though we hear differently I know exactly what you mean - I love how I got both the "rosiny" and "woody" sounds on the VE8, while I could only vouch for the rosiny on the Ely but not as woody. And yea pianos ring differently but the best IEMs should at least sound full all the way with the right dose of wood, steel, air and body throughout a flourish across the keyboard. VE8 could do just that, better IMO than everything else in my arsenal (or was in my arsenal) bar the ER4S/SR.

Yea thank VE I've been with those folks since my first pair of CM in my life, that is some Compact Monitors Stage 4. The folks had only gotten better and better over the years.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,497 of 5,715
Man you are way too cool playing all that...........I hope I had chosen to learn at least one string instrument when I was younger, I had grown to love the string sound more and more. I only play the piano / keyboard and do a little conducting.

Even though we hear differently I know exactly what you mean - I love how I got both the "rosiny" and "woody" sounds on the VE8, while I could only vouch for the rosiny on the Ely but not as woody. And yea pianos ring differently but the best IEMs should at least sound full all the way with the right dose of wood, steel, air and body throughout a flourish across the keyboard. VE8 could do just that, better IMO than everything else in my arsenal ...

Conducting is an amazing thing. I envy that for sure.

I love piano on the Elysium and do not feel anything is missing.
As I’ve mentioned, I was part of the tour and the Elysium was just so different than any iem I had heard that in was immediately drawn into them. I never really gave the VE8 a chance as the BA sound was familiar so I didn’t really focus on what made them different and special. I regret that hearing you speak of their strengths.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #2,498 of 5,715
Relaxed closed jaw here :)
My audioaulogist asked me to bite down with closed mouth and open my mouth as far as I can once. According to him, this is the best method. My custom Elysium and ve8 have an exceptional fit, so this seems to be a good option.
I don’t feel them when they are in and I can speak/ eat without loosing the fit at all.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,499 of 5,715
My audioaulogist asked me to bite down with closed mouth and open my mouth as far as I can once. According to him, this is the best method. My custom Elysium and ve8 have an exceptional fit, so this seems to be a good option.
I don’t feel them when they are in and I can speak/ eat without loosing the fit at all.
Does that mean that you held a closed mouth for the entire time the impression was being made of your ears, and only opened your mouth once at the beginning of the process (after injection of the impression material)? How long did you have to hold the open jaw?

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,500 of 5,715
I've been really enjoying the sound of my custom Elysium which arrived a week or so back but have been struggling a little with the fit. I find my jaw getting slightly tired/sore from wearing the IEMs over a long time.

When I made my impressions for VE, I kept my mouth closed and my jaw relaxed the entire time. The only time I opened my mouth was when the silicone was fully-hardened, so it was easier for the audiologist to remove them from my ears.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,501 of 5,715

I did closed mouth impressions, with mouth relaxed. Your canals open up slightly using a block (opening your mouth), so impressions made that way will be a tiny, tiny bit larger. Then, when you close your mouth and insert iem made from those impressions, they will fit a bit more snugly, which is generally a good thing. But Vision Ears makes their iems to such exacting standards from your impressions, the fit is just as good and snug as your closed mouth impressions are.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,503 of 5,715
Does that mean that you held a closed mouth for the entire time the impression was being made of your ears, and only opened your mouth once at the beginning of the process (after injection of the impression material)? How long did you have to hold the open jaw?
In the first 30 seconds I had to open my mouth. Just for a second or two. Then closed mouth.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,504 of 5,715
Thanks for the many responses folks; really appreciate it. I'm going to go for a second set of impressions and send my Elys back for a refit. I've tried to live with them for a couple of days but wow the jaw really does start to ache and feel a little sore after some time. It's pretty hard to focus on how good they sound at that point.

I'm rather surprised that my local dealer suggested an open mouth fitting to begin with for VE when quite clearly the overwhelming majority (and well even VE themselves) recommend a closed mouth one. Can't help but feel like an opportunity for a more precise fit was wasted and that the dreaded path of iterative refits lies before me..

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #2,505 of 5,715
Thanks for the many responses folks; really appreciate it. I'm going to go for a second set of impressions and send my Elys back for a refit. I've tried to live with them for a couple of days but wow the jaw really does start to ache and feel a little sore after some time. It's pretty hard to focus on how good they sound at that point.

I'm rather surprised that my local dealer suggested an open mouth fitting to begin with for VE when quite clearly the overwhelming majority (and well even VE themselves) recommend a closed mouth one. Can't help but feel like an opportunity for a more precise fit was wasted and that the dreaded path of iterative refits lies before me..
Whether to go for an open- or closed-mouth impressions largely depends on the brand and the trimming methods they use. Sometimes, they trim them in such a way that whether you took them open- or closed-mouthed doesn’t even matter. Whether by smoothing certain edges out or by reshaping the nozzle in some way, they’ll fit perfectly either way. So, it’s always important to get to know the brand you’re working with and how their in-ears tend to look. VE tend to preserve your canals’ sharper bends, and they tend to extend deeper too. So, that’s when your jaw position while taking the impressions will play a major factor.

I’d personally always follow what the manufacturer asks for. But, if it’s up to you, the rule of thumb is to have your jaw position while taking the impressions be the same as when you’re wearing the customs. So, if you’re just a listener, then it’s more ideal to have closed-mouth impressions. Whereas, if you’ll be singing with them, open-mouthed would be the one to do. But, again, what the brand asks for is king for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back