Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jun 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #496 of 5,715
@tomscy

Thanks for your impressions!! Would You say that the u shapeness is very close to 1p2?

@superachromat

I dont think a mild u shape will fill in your needs when it comes to more vocal presence, perhaps 335 or k10
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. Anyway, I have ordered the 5 already. Just looking to the arrival of it before stepping into other high end CIEM at the moment.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #497 of 5,715
  Some more notes...

From a simple listen (no FR sweeps), the Stage 5 is appreciably better in terms of extension to my ears. The soundstage feels wider to me. It has the same kind of forward projection of vocals as the Stage 3, but is quite a bit more neutral-sounding across the hearing-sensitive 600-5k mid-band region.

BTW, the Rhines Stage 3 might sound different from whatever you heard, because I noticed it uses new generation woofers (looks the same as a CI, but is a different family and model number)

The Stage 4 is pretty warm to my ears. Of the CIEMs and CIEM demos that I've heard, the Stage 4 sounds most to me like the UE18, except with a slightly less delicate treble sparkle, but less scooped mids. Similar mid-bass signature. The Stage 4U, has more sub-bass emphasis and more midrange emphasis, including better mid-high presence. The Stage 5 sounds more even; more of a Stage 2 type of sound, but with a better, more three dimensional soundstage and better forward projection.

To me, the Stage 4U sounds more similar to the Stage 4, and that makes sense, considering they probably use a similar driver setup. However, the 4U can feel slightly dry, whereas the 5 feels a bit more alive.

I would say it's less U-shaped than the 1Plus2 --- it doesn't quite have the visceral bass feeling of the 1Plus2, but is more refined and less peaky in the treble.

Thank you. That looks promising to me. Hopefully, I can receive the 5 soon. :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #499 of 5,715

From a simple listen (no FR sweeps), the Stage 5 is appreciably better in terms of extension to my ears. The soundstage feels wider to me. It has the same kind of forward projection of vocals as the Stage 3, but is quite a bit more neutral-sounding across the hearing-sensitive 600-5k mid-band region.

BTW, the Rhines Stage 3 might sound different from whatever you heard, because I noticed it uses new generation woofers (looks the same as a CI, but is a different family and model number)

The Stage 4 is pretty warm to my ears. Of the CIEMs and CIEM demos that I've heard, the Stage 4 sounds most to me like the UE18, except with a slightly less delicate treble sparkle, but less scooped mids. Similar mid-bass signature. The Stage 4U, has more sub-bass emphasis and more midrange emphasis, including better mid-high presence. The Stage 5 sounds more even; more of a Stage 2 type of sound, but with a better, more three dimensional soundstage and better forward projection.

To me, the Stage 4U sounds more similar to the Stage 4, and that makes sense, considering they probably use a similar driver setup. However, the 4U can feel slightly dry, whereas the 5 feels a bit more alive.

I would say it's less U-shaped than the 1Plus2 --- it doesn't quite have the visceral bass feeling of the 1Plus2, but is more refined and less peaky in the treble.

Thank you. That looks promising to me. Hopefully, I can receive the 5 soon. :)

I want to address a couple of issues regarding my previous statements; for the blue highlighted part, I actually think I may have gotten a non-ideal seal with the Stage 3. I also listened in non-ideal places; the Stage 3 doesn't really have too much midtone coloration, and at this point it's hard to gauge the tonal differences between the Stage 3 and the Stage 5 in the midrange, except to say that the Stage 5 feels more detailed. Everything also sounds "bigger" --- the image just seems more exaggerated in all dimensions (I imagine this is a plus for most people), compared to the honest approach of the Stage 3.

With regard to the green highlighted part, I found out that the woofers were basically the same as before, but because they come from the factory pre-attached and pre-wired, it is a different model series. There shouldn't be significant differences between the new and old except that perhaps the QC is a bit better with the new Stage 3 because the two woofers should be pre-matched out of the factory.

Another thing is that I find the Stage demos change signature a lot with respect to insertion angle and depth in the canal. They're also change character quite a bit from source to source. The demos sound completely different with my Concero HP compared to my Sony F886, and compared to the F886 with an amp attached.

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #500 of 5,715
  With regard to the green highlighted part, I found out that the woofers were basically the same as before, but because they come from the factory pre-attached and pre-wired, it is a different model series. There shouldn't be significant differences between the new and old except that perhaps the QC is a bit better with the new Stage 3 because the two woofers should be pre-matched out of the factory.

Thanks. Now that's interesting since it's similar to the case of the UERM. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #505 of 5,715
Not many VE users actually....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back