Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Apr 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #451 of 5,715
When you wear them properly, switch [COLOR=FF00AA]down is X1, while up X2[/COLOR]. (corrected at 4/5, thank you maibuN)

I've acquired the Roxanne UF and been listening attentively to it for the past 2 days. Previously I've borrowed the VE6 demo for 3 days of private listening.

VE6, regardless of the price difference, does outperform the Roxanne.

The X2, which I prefer, sounds more natural, coherent, and musical than the Roxanne. Unlike the Roxanne, the X2 interprets the music in a less forceful way.

The X2 overall has a very clear and transparent sound signature, though still a tad warm-- only very slightly. While the VE3 can sometimes sound not as fun as the VE4 (of course, personal taste), the VE6 X2, by every means, sounds even more lively or vividly than the VE4.

The bass of the X2 is somewhere between the VE 3 & 4, not as punchier as that of the VE4, yet transits extremely smoothly from mid low to very low. No apparent bumps throughout the mid to low frequencies. The mids of the X2 is very delicately and carefully designed. With very definite contour and appropriate body, the X2's mids has the most satisfying character to my taste. Not thick, not thin, just right for most kinds of music genre. The vocal distance is closer than that of the VE4 and obvious more engaging. I can anticipate no more complaints from those who are not satisfied with the VE4's vocal presentation.

The highs of the X2 is simply nimbler than both VE 3&4. Thanks to the super high, the texture of the music instruments is the best among the series. The strings are rendered with both warmth and clarity. The ambience or hall acoustics is presented at the same level as the VE4, increasing the credibility of reestablishing the recording scene.

The soundstage of the X2 is a tad smaller than that of the VE4, more toward the size of the VE3. Separation is still the top notch.

I can imagine how difficult the task would be to design a new flagship without screwing up the brand image. Unlike the UM Mentor, which I believe the designers have lost track of their sonic goals, or the Roxanne, though packs with handful of proprietary features, does not sound a lot brilliant than the latest version of JH16 Pro, I reckon the VE6, is an successful and apparent upgrade to the previous VE series. The only problem left is the price...

I've sent my VE4 for an upgrade for the Xcontrol version. I will have a more thorough comparison between the Roxanne and the VE6.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #453 of 5,715
No, it is exactly the other way around :wink:

up -> x2
down -> x1

Yeah, you are right, I checked my note, up is for X2.

My apology and thank you for the correction.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #454 of 5,715
Had a few more minutes before my son started crying because his teeth are growing. The X2 is more linear and less bassy than X1, but has less space width and depth wise. The X1 is more on the wow / fun side. The X2 is very good on the Hugo, but a bit congested straight from the 901, would certainly benefit from running balanced or running from the ZX1. Have not tried yet.

Both X1 and X2 are great performers apparently. If you have only one CIEM and like a sound true to source, X2 might be better. If you have several and want more flavor, X1 packs a punch. Of course I need much more time with it. I listened 15mn at most.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #455 of 5,715
The X2 is very good on the Hugo, but a bit congested straight from the 901...

Both X1 and X2 are great performers apparently. If you have only one CIEM and like a sound true to source, X2 might be better...

Yeah, I agree with you on the X2 pairing well with the Hugo. I tested the X2 along with the Whiplash TWau Reference and the Hugo. The Whiplash cable gave the X2 extra overall authority.

X1 plus the Hugo is a little too much to my taste, mainly on the bass department.

And don't bother with the X1/2 choice, for you have the Xcontrol version to choose from.:D

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #459 of 5,715
A few questions to those who have tried the Xcontrol:

1- The Xcontrol is great for demo purposes making it easy to switch and compare. But if you decide to buy would you go for Xcontrol or just X1 or X2? In other words do you see a benefit in the Xcontrol to switch depending on what you listen to or once you figure out which setting you like best you are most likely to just keep it there?

2- I understand the X1 has more bass? For someone who liked the UE18 (and to a slightly lower extent also liked the JH16) would the X1 be in the same ballpark as far as bass quantity? I am assuming the quality is good in that it is not bloated/muddy and does not interfere with the mids/vocals?

Thanks

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #460 of 5,715
 A few questions to those who have tried the Xcontrol:

1- ... In other words do you see a benefit in the Xcontrol to switch depending on what you listen to or once you figure out which setting you like best you are most likely to just keep it there?

2-...would the X1 be in the same ballpark as far as bass quantity? I am assuming the quality is good in that it is not bloated/muddy and does not interfere with the mids/vocals?

Thanks

Got my VE6 XC (upgrade from VE4) and the Hugo (the 1st edition of revised chassis) and have been listening to them attentively these days. I had listened to both separately and as a combo.

While I was auditioning the VE6, I didn't like the X1 either straight from the AK120 or with the Hugo. I found the bass was too much and slightly bled into the mids and affected the transparency. The X2 was more well rounded during the auditioning stage.

Yet, as I received my custom one, and did the comparason, I noticed the X1 of the custom version is somehow different from the demo. The bass goes deep as well as the demo version, however, it remains well controlled and with clear contour on the custom version. The X1's mids is more lush and sensual than that of the X2. Sound stage wise, X1 is bit wider than X2, yet a tad less in depth. I don't find X2 congested paired with AK120 or Hugo. On the other hand, I find X1's space between instruments is narrower than X2, mainly owing to the larger image size of the X1.

In short, on the custom version I find both X1 and X2 are delicately tuned without apparent shortcomings. It's all depends on personal taste and music genre. I find myself quite enjoy switching between X1 and X2 so as to find the best music experience. For example, for the classical genre, I would basically stay with X2. However, when it comes to Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories", I would absolutely switch to X1 to give a better bass extension, consequently lead to a more fulfilling and surrounding soundstage.

So, yes, I reckon X control is beneficial and more flexible.

I have experience with the JH16 pro with FP and own the Roxanne. If I judge from VE6's demo, I reckon the X1 (which is bass heavy) has the same or a little more bass than the JH 16pro. Roxanne's bass is adjustable, therefore, no common ground. Yet, as I have mentioned, the VE6 demo somehow doesn't present X1 well, therefore, the bass was bloated and even muds the mids.(or maybe it's just the demo I got? Because Marcel from VE did replace the original demo with a new one just few days after we mentioned some traits of the demo, which were not consistent with his idea of tuning). I did not listen to the new demo, though.

The custom version, however, is a different story. I think the bass quality of the X1 is much much better than the demo. And I also believe X1's bass performance is better than JH16 pro. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #462 of 5,715

Got my VE6 XC (upgrade from VE4) and the Hugo (the 1st edition of revised chassis) and have been listening to them attentively these days. I had listened to both separately and as a combo.

Thanks for the detailed information. It will help me decide which to order (leaning towards Xcontrol).

One more question: How long was it from them getting the impressions to mailing the V6 to you? I remember reading that they were shooting for 2-3 week turn around but when I emailed them the estimate was 6-8 weeks.

Thanks

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #463 of 5,715
Owing to the positive feedbacks from the VE3&4 and the fantastic idea of providing the choice of upgrade, VE now is kinda overloaded with orders. Plus they would not trade quality for speed. The lead time has been increased to 6-8 weeks recently. So I think you can expect that.

Concerning the choice among X1/X2/Xcontrol, I think you can still wait until Mimouille brings up his thoughts and whether he observes otherwise.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #465 of 5,715
Mim is one of the most helpful headfier I've seen. You can trust his advices completely. Whatever we discussed before it was always a spot on and he always helped me to choose what is best for me.

So if you are not in a hurry I would also suggest waiting to see his impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back