Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #4,276 of 5,715
Well they're not that small it's the EXT tip that is big, actually it does not cover any part of the bore but mine has served quite a while so they are not new.
Yeah I was talking relatively. Either way, good find. I think they'll work quite well on Odin... The foam ones work well with CA IEM's it seems.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #4,277 of 5,715
Yeah I was talking relatively. Either way, good find. I think they'll work quite well on Odin... The foam ones work well with CA IEM's it seems.

Well I had those with the Flare PRO and ordered some more, they are very atypical in shape and for big conduits like me it's helpful for shallow insertion IEMs mostly, typically Dunu Luna it's the only tips I get a seal with. And the silicon is very very comfy and high quality... it turned out it's a good fit for the EXT as well for a much deeper insertion. But with the EXT comfort over time is a bit on the low side it hurts my ears (or maybe I have been wearing customs only for too long a time :p)... we'll see if Moondrop Spring fix that.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #4,278 of 5,715
I've basically tried every single tip I can get my hands on and I can't really find a satisfactory fit for the EXT with my ears. If I use ones to make it more comfortable by pushing the IEM out of my ear then I dislike what its doing to the treble response, if I get a proper nice deep seal then I can only use them for about 20-30 minutes before I remove them and put a different IEM in...

With that said, I'll be letting mine go, if anyone wants them shoot me a PM.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #4,279 of 5,715
I've basically tried every single tip I can get my hands on and I can't really find a satisfactory fit for the EXT with my ears. If I use ones to make it more comfortable by pushing the IEM out of my ear then I dislike what its doing to the treble response, if I get a proper nice deep seal then I can only use them for about 20-30 minutes before I remove them and put a different IEM in...

its fascinating watching your iem journey!!!😂

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #4,280 of 5,715
its fascinating watching your iem journey!!!😂
To be honest at this point it's not much of a journey, I just like trying to new stuff.

giphy.gif

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,281 of 5,715
Like most iems, a deeper Insertion shifts the resonant peak a bit to a higher value. The EXT displays this also if you don't have a good fit. I've noticed a shallow insertion shifts the treble peak a bit lower, which sqeezes the midrange further back and makes the stage more cramped. A deeper Insertion shifts it higher and opens up the soundstage. I hear cymbals further apart L/R and more defined with a deeper fit. More shallow fit, they are closer to the middle which muddies things.

These are definitely tricky to get a good fit with and takes some time, but luckily I figured it out for myself without any discomfort. What worked for me was inserting them at an angle with my thumb on the bottom of the iem, then twisting it Into my ears while pushing with my thumb and pulling a little with my pointer finger so that the bottom of my ear wasn't getting stretched on which resulted in discomfort and soreness initially. Once the bottom of the iem was over that curve of my ear at the right angle they fit like a glove.

I hope this helps anyone who is having fit issues a little, but I do understand how these may be a bit intrusive for some people who prefer a more shallow fit with their iems.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #4,283 of 5,715
I feel that. I'm enjoying my EXT, but I keep seeing pheonix reviews pop up and i have to keep mentally slapping myself so I don't spend another chunk of change to satisfy my curiosity lol

They are VERY different lol. Phonix is super-refined type IEM, kind of makes you appreciate it on a different aspect. The Phonix bass is also nothing like EXT.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,284 of 5,715
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #4,285 of 5,715

And here i thought you might be settled for a while. Where to next?

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #4,287 of 5,715
there’s nothing left to buy 🤪
MEXT? Just wait a few months and there will be a new batch of TOTL offerings for your purchasing pleasure.

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #4,288 of 5,715

Very fast sale!

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #4,289 of 5,715

I get where you're at... I was really frustrated as well but in the sense that I felt the tips that usually work for me were irritating my ears for some reason... :frowning2:

So I did a little forbidden experiment... I have an issue with all my tips with the EXT or maybe I have gone all CIEM for too long... who knows...

IMG_6950.jpg

I didn't think my custom silicon tips (built for very large bore size, built for the Solaris actually) could fit because of the EXT deep insertion but my huge ear canals allow this and the EXT don't even protrude that much... comfort is so much better, it just takes a bit of technique to extract those babies as the coupling to the bore is flexible and not excessively tight.

Sonically you have perfect seal so bass gains a little bit and isolation as well... yes it means a longer path for the 4EST with make the yield a bit lesser but I don't find this that much of a hit honestly.

I might check out if I can't have a different kind made explicitely for the EXT by the likes of ADV
Unless VE themselves would consider it :p

Like most iems, a deeper Insertion shifts the resonant peak a bit to a higher value. The EXT displays this also if you don't have a good fit. I've noticed a shallow insertion shifts the treble peak a bit lower, which sqeezes the midrange further back and makes the stage more cramped. A deeper Insertion shifts it higher and opens up the soundstage. I hear cymbals further apart L/R and more defined with a deeper fit. More shallow fit, they are closer to the middle which muddies things.

These are definitely tricky to get a good fit with and takes some time, but luckily I figured it out for myself without any discomfort. What worked for me was inserting them at an angle with my thumb on the bottom of the iem, then twisting it Into my ears while pushing with my thumb and pulling a little with my pointer finger so that the bottom of my ear wasn't getting stretched on which resulted in discomfort and soreness initially. Once the bottom of the iem was over that curve of my ear at the right angle they fit like a glove.

I hope this helps anyone who is having fit issues a little, but I do understand how these may be a bit intrusive for some people who prefer a more shallow fit with their iems.
Well that's not the issue for me as I am used to tight CIEM fit... maybe finding the right universal tips or getting a custom tip done that is a bit more optimal with shorter path. Now I have CIEM like deep insertion though.

Attachments

• IMG_6953.jpg
    IMG_6953.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,290 of 5,715
I get where you're at... I was really frustrated as well but in the sense that I felt the tips that usually work for me were irritating my ears for some reason... :frowning2:

So I did a little forbidden experiment... I have an issue with all my tips with the EXT or maybe I have gone all CIEM for too long... who knows...

IMG_6950.jpg

I didn't think my custom silicon tips (built for very large bore size, built for the Solaris actually) could fit because of the EXT deep insertion but my huge ear canals allow this and the EXT don't even protrude that much... comfort is so much better, it just takes a bit of technique to extract those babies as the coupling to the bore is flexible and not excessively tight.

Sonically you have perfect seal so bass gains a little bit and isolation as well... yes it means a longer path for the 4EST with make the yield a bit lesser but I don't find this that much of a hit honestly.

I might check out if I can't have a different kind made explicitely for the EXT by the likes of ADV
Unless VE themselves would consider it :p

Well that's not the issue for me as I am used to tight CIEM fit... maybe finding the right universal tips or getting a custom tip done that is a bit more optimal with shorter path. Now I have CIEM like deep insertion though.

It borderline upsets me that these don’t work for my ears. Such a unique sounding IEM that was just fun to listen to even with its quirks.

This is how the EXT looks in comparison to my A12t, pretty easy to tell why I struggled so much with the fit. That part that comes before the nozzle to put the tip on is just too big for me.

292E05C9-BF27-4382-BF58-34C67464E05E.jpeg

Hopefully VE will figure out how to make them in CIEM but it looks very unlikely, oh well. I’ll be keeping an eye out for more DD low IEMs because I’ll miss that bass quality the EXT brought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back