Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,206 of 5,715
Do vocals tend to correspond to a certain frequency range? If so, do woodwinds/brass similarly correspond, or perhaps piano rather? Thanks

I am not sure if this is what you are asking. All vocals are in the midrange with overtones going into the treble. I attached the below chart. The Ely handles them well.

As the Piano frequencies range from 27.5hz to 4,186 hz, it covers the mids, high mids, and the bass all the way down to 27.5hz which is pretty close to the lowest most of us can actually hear ( most folks cannot actually hear 20 hz tones from my experience ). This wide range makes it difficult to reproduce with a lifelike presence. The Ely does a good job on it as well, but will lack a bit of low bass punch. Overall though, I think it does a fine job with the instruments you mentioned. Also, as an example of its capability, EDM does not actually go that low, so you might be shocked at how well the Ely can produce it. Tks.

1614457093535.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,207 of 5,715
I’m looking for a cable for my Elysium, to eke out that last bit of magic, and am thinking about the Eletech Plato. Will this be too “thin” sounding? I’ve read lots of reviews but am wondering if I should hold off to get an Iliad. I currently have a Triton Cardas Clear Light which is supposedly the same wire as the PW1960 and I’ve had the Triton version of the 1950. Can anyone comment on the Plato vs the 1950/1960? I’ve seen them compared to the Iliad but not so much the Plato.
I might be a bit late here, but when I had the Eletech cables kit, the Iliad (if money is no obstacle) was as close to perfection of a cable + IEM pairing I've ever heard. It increased extension across all the Frequencies while staying incredible engaging and smooth.

I don't recall the Plato too much with Ely, but remember it being a bit brighter with more bite. I've had several others mention Iliad + Ely is a beautiful combo.

Either way, enjoy!

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,208 of 5,715
as close to perfection of a cable + IEM pairing I've ever heard. It increased extension across all the Frequencies while staying incredible engaging and smooth.

This is exactly how I'd describe the Leo II Octa + Ely pairup I'm currently enjoying. I hadn't previously imagined a cable could have such an impact.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #2,209 of 5,715
I might be a bit late here, but when I had the Eletech cables kit, the Iliad (if money is no obstacle) was as close to perfection of a cable + IEM pairing I've ever heard. It increased extension across all the Frequencies while staying incredible engaging and smooth.

I don't recall the Plato too much with Ely, but remember it being a bit brighter with more bite. I've had several others mention Iliad + Ely is a beautiful combo.

Either way, enjoy!

Thanks... I ended up buying the Plato. From as many impressions as I could find I think (hope) the Plato will tame a slight roundness I find in the notes paired with the M8.
I love the M8 but there's an intangible, or rather something I lack the precise language to describe, softness to the leading edge of notes that I had with the DX228ex that I think will come back with the Plato. And by all accounts the Plato avoids any of the pitfalls I've found from silver cables in the past..
I really hope the Eletech tour will make it to Canada as I would dearly love to try the Iliad.. It's just so expensive that I balked at this time..

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,210 of 5,715
Do vocals tend to correspond to a certain frequency range? If so, do woodwinds/brass similarly correspond, or perhaps piano rather? Thanks
.... I've yet to hear any other monitor capture the minutia of detail and subtlety of timbre sufficient to make it feel "lifelike to the point of feeling alive" like Ely does.

I find that frequency ranges aren't always the best measure for anything other than volume. As @Rockwell75 points out, the real strength of the Elysium is how it captures the overtones and harmonics that make instruments sound real. I play piano as well as some strings and the Elysium is the best I've heard for recreating a realistic timbre.
The real beauty of piano on the Elysium is you can hear the sympathetic resonances and the nice ringing quality.. Instruments not only sound like themselves but you can hear the differences clearly in different violins. I think vocals are very natural sounding. In fact the first time I listened to a Dire Straits track, the vocals were so real that I was kind of taken aback. You could hear the slight gravel in his voice and the almost "talking" quality of some of the words. ...
I like the Elysium.. if you couldn't tell.. ha ha

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,213 of 5,715
the vocals were so real that I was kind of taken aback.

I was laying back in my chair one evening with Elysium in my ears. I drifted off half-asleep then a song by Nora Jones came on and her breathy voice was so real, so tangible that in my semi-conscious state I almost jumped up as though reacting to someone actually in the room with me. It was really quite something and it took me a minute to snap to and get my bearings back.

I find that frequency ranges aren't always the best measure for anything other than volume. As @Rockwell75 points out, the real strength of the Elysium is how it captures the overtones and harmonics that make instruments sound real. I play piano as well as some strings and the Elysium is the best I've heard for recreating a realistic timbre.
The real beauty of piano on the Elysium is you can hear the sympathetic resonances and the nice ringing quality.. Instruments not only sound like themselves but you can hear the differences clearly in different violins. I think vocals are very natural sounding.

You always describe that so well. I was listening to Kind of Blue the other day and on one of the songs with sax on it I was pretty much spellbound and remembered your words. Sax is the only instrument I've played and can really relate to in that way...but wow the transparency and realism Elysium conveys is quite something.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,214 of 5,715
The Elysium is really epic. I tested it today against Utopia and SR009. It seems like a symbiose of this two. Has the details and soundstage of the SR009 with the full mids and bass of the Utopia. The bass is in quantity more then the SR009 and on par with Utopia. It not has the dynamic punch of the Utopia it has BA driver maybe that's the reason.
I use it with SpinFit CP145 or Comply T400. Later are the best currently. SpiralDots not working killed the highs. Final E tips killed the bass. I have Azla Xelastec incoming...
As for the cable I think the sound is like it is also great. I tested a little bit with EQ. I can add +3dB without problem in the bass area and man they can kick and the quality is fantastic. Best IEM so far for me.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,215 of 5,715
Wow. Several detailed persuasive posts. Much to consider. I appreciate the depth and nuance brought to the matter. At any rate I went for it and got a set. Indentured servitude is in near future for me.
I had the Audiotiers tour V8 and Ely, the Ely has the best timbre of any IEM or headphones I've heard, other than ZMF.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,216 of 5,715
The Elysium is really epic. I tested it today against Utopia and SR009. It seems like a symbiose of this two. Has the details and soundstage of the SR009 with the full mids and bass of the Utopia. The bass is in quantity more then the SR009 and on par with Utopia. It not has the dynamic punch of the Utopia it has BA driver maybe that's the reason.
I use it with SpinFit CP145 or Comply T400. Later are the best currently. SpiralDots not working killed the highs. Final E tips killed the bass. I have Azla Xelastec incoming...
As for the cable I think the sound is like it is also great. I tested a little bit with EQ. I can add +3dB without problem in the bass area and man they can kick and the quality is fantastic. Best IEM so far for me.

If you want to experience the bass of Elysium in top form try it through a Shanling M8. I posted the following in the M8 thread:

"The M8 often gets touted for its emphasized low end and it has been suggested that it might not work for more bass heavy IEMs due to an increase in bass quantity. I think what the M8 does is not so much an increase in quantity bit in solidity and weight. The FR of your IEM/Headphone is presented as it should be but the bass just manages to grab your attention with its texture, authority and grip while not really getting in the way of anything else."

It synergizes profoundly well with Elysium.

I have been through numerous tips and the Xelastecs are my favorite as they mold to your ear canal shape and mimic the custom feel. Plus they are made of the most comfortable material of any tip I've tried.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #2,218 of 5,715
May I ask what tip comes with Ely? It's Spinfit for VE8.

I settle with Spinfit now as there is no mesh on VE8 tube end.

Spinfits and another kind I'd never heard of before whose name escapes me. I always use my own tips though.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,219 of 5,715
The other ones are the “horn shaped tips” but I can’t remember who makes them. Not sure why they are included though as I tried for a couple minutes to put one on and I couldn’t get it to fit. I’m liking either the Xelastecs or the Azla Sedna Short clear ones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back