Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,606 of 5,715
I recently got an elysium and love it’s presentation. VE shipped DHL and I got it within 4 days from payment.
The soundstage and imaging is some of the best I’ve heard. I upgraded the cable and saw a noticeable difference. The mids as you’ve heard are amazing. I also love the trebles airiness. The bass doesn’t have authority like my z1r, but I’ve grown to like the bass more on the elysium for most genres. I never realized how much bass can cover up in a song until I heard the elysium.

The bass is my main concern. I'm a bit of a basshead lol... Love good bass. But the amazing mids you guys are all talking about is very enticing, as I've never owned a mid-centric IEM before. How do you think the Elysium would fare with electronic music?

Which cable did you upgrade to?

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,607 of 5,715
The bass is my main concern. I'm a bit of a basshead lol... Love good bass. But the amazing mids you guys are all talking about is very enticing, as I've never owned a mid-centric IEM before. How do you think the Elysium would fare with electronic music?

If you want, provide some album info and which tracks and we will Compare for you. Tks.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,608 of 5,715
And I’m still waiting for my elysium which I ordered end of April and now it’s still stuck in customs. It’s agonizing to read how people are enjoying it and all I can do is wait :sweat:

Patience is a virtue.....

Bugger :frowning2: that would drive me insane lol... Hope it clears customs soon man! Thankfully haven't had anything stuck in customs for more than a few days so fingers crossed the Erlky comes through quickly. But I've had issues with stuff I've sold to North America sitting in customs for over a month

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,609 of 5,715
would elysium be an upgrade over zeus xr , and by how much ?

thanx guys

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #1,611 of 5,715
Bugger :frowning2: that would drive me insane lol... Hope it clears customs soon man! Thankfully haven't had anything stuck in customs for more than a few days so fingers crossed the Erlky comes through quickly. But I've had issues with stuff I've sold to North America sitting in customs for over a month

Thanks! Yeah apparently my elysium was sent in a cargo where they also have several brompton bikes and I was told those bromptons are the ones causing the delays. How very unfortunate.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,612 of 5,715
Between Erlkonig, VE8 and Elysium, I initially preferred the VE8. Now I’m not so sure. I may actually like the Elysium better for the better clarity in mid and treble. Bass is also better defined on Elysium tho they are just a bit lower in quantity compared to VE8. I feel it has better bass quality than the VE8. Elysium also has a better sound presentation with wider and more open staging than the VE8, which is more forward sounding and has a perceived smaller sound stage.

As for Erlkonig, i don’t preferred them as the shell is too heavy and big for me; and I have difficulties in getting a stable fit and seal. It’s sound on setting 4 is baseline but I find it too thin sounding. Bumping up to setting 3 the sound is fuller, airer and more musical. This is my favorite setting. Going up to setting 2, the bass is stronger yet the sound is still clear but a little too warm to me and masked some details (second favorite setting). Setting 1 has the strongest bass, it’s too much and veiled the sound imo.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,613 of 5,715

Elysium does not have visceral bass. It has good bass quality which is just sufficient but left me yearning for just a little more sometimes.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,614 of 5,715

I upgraded to a Triton Audio Cardas Clear Light 4 wire, similar to a 4 wire 1960.
@DavidS11 hit it on the head about the bass and general tuning of the Elysium. The more I listen to it, the more I find myself enjoying it. The clarity within the entire spectrum is great. The soundstage and imaging is top notch for an iem after I swapped the cable. If you’re a bass head I’d look elsewhere. But if you want to experience “the purity of sound” check out the Elysium. There are some good reviews out there. @Deezel177 on THL‘s review of the Elysium is worth checking out.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,615 of 5,715
I upgraded to a Triton Audio Cardas Clear Light 4 wire, similar to a 4 wire 1960.
@DavidS11 hit it on the head about the bass and general tuning of the Elysium. The more I listen to it, the more I find myself enjoying it. The clarity within the entire spectrum is great. The soundstage and imaging is top notch for an iem after I swapped the cable. If you’re a bass head I’d look elsewhere. But if you want to experience “the purity of sound” check out the Elysium. There are some good reviews out there. @Deezel177 on THL‘s review of the Elysium is worth checking out.

Totally in agreement with you on the excellent clarity and sound staging.

I listened to Chesky’s “War” recording, it was awesome, the detail was amazing and the staging so huge yet so vivid.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,616 of 5,715
Forget to note that the Elysium need more power to drive compared to normal hybrid and full-BA. On a SP2000 for example, it needed at least 20 more clicks on the dial to get the same volume.

edit: ..with single-ended output and stock cable. Balanced would be better.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,617 of 5,715
That would be awesome, thanks mate :)

"SYZYGY 02" by Opiuo has become one of my bass reference albums:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/113460311

Check out "System Empire" as thats a fairly busy track with some male vocals too.

System Empire is definitely a bass heavy tune. I compared the Elysium to the 64 Audio Fourte (which has a DD driver for strong bass) on this track. As expected the Elysium cannot keep up with the bass impact of the Fourte. The Fourte hits harder and with more depth. That being said the Elysium does do a good job and you will hear the bass, and the impact but in a much lighter presentation. Switching from the Fourte to the Elysium, its presentation seems way too light. However as you listen its brighter mid-centric presentation is also good. But it will not shake you as the Fourte can on this track. Now you might like the added clarity the Elysium provides where the Fourte is much deeper overall and has less air. The Fourte might also sound a touch muddy as compared to the Elysium, but you are hearing bass just not present on the Elysium. I think the VE-8 (which I have sent back for repairs at the moment) would be the best choice here. I would expect it to have the bass and the clarity. If this is the music you mostly listen to, I would definitely suggest you listen to the Elysium somehow before purchasing. It may not have a powerful enough bass presentation for you. On well recorded jazz albums, the bass is excellent (Holly Coles's "Don't Smoke In Bed" for example), but this music is much different. Its great stuff, but the Elysium would not be my first choice to use to listen to it.
That being said, on the track AWOL by OPIUO, I much preferred the Elysium. On this track it had a brighter more open presentation and the had the bass and especially the impact as well. It really sounded much better on the Elysium. I think it depends on how deep the bass is. And the vocals were much better. Listening to this, maybe it would be fine for you. On Sun Daddy I went back and forth a bit. The Elysium has strong bass here, but not as impactful as on the Fourte. However, its more open and clearer presentation is also excellent. I feel you will need to find a way to listen to it first. I have a suspicion you will enjoy it after hearing these last two tracks, but I am hesitant to just say go get one, especially at its price point. Hopefully this helped a little. Maybe someone else can also listen and provide their thoughts. Tks.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,618 of 5,715
System Empire is definitely a bass heavy tune. I compared the Elysium to the 64 Audio Fourte (which has a DD driver for strong bass) on this track. As expected the Elysium cannot keep up with the bass impact of the Fourte. The Fourte hits harder and with more depth. That being said the Elysium does do a good job and you will hear the bass, and the impact but in a much lighter presentation. Switching from the Fourte to the Elysium, its presentation seems way too light. However as you listen its brighter mid-centric presentation is also good. But it will not shake you as the Fourte can on this track. Now you might like the added clarity the Elysium provides where the Fourte is much deeper overall and has less air. The Fourte might also sound a touch muddy as compared to the Elysium, but you are hearing bass just not present on the Elysium. I think the VE-8 (which I have sent back for repairs at the moment) would be the best choice here. I would expect it to have the bass and the clarity. If this is the music you mostly listen to, I would definitely suggest you listen to the Elysium somehow before purchasing. It may not have a powerful enough bass presentation for you. On well recorded jazz albums, the bass is excellent (Holly Coles's "Don't Smoke In Bed" for example), but this music is much different. Its great stuff, but the Elysium would not be my first choice to use to listen to it.
That being said, on the track AWOL by OPIUO, I much preferred the Elysium. On this track it had a brighter more open presentation and the had the bass and especially the impact as well. It really sounded much better on the Elysium. I think it depends on how deep the bass is. And the vocals were much better. Listening to this, maybe it would be fine for you. On Sun Daddy I went back and forth a bit. The Elysium has strong bass here, but not as impactful as on the Fourte. However, its more open and clearer presentation is also excellent. I feel you will need to find a way to listen to it first. I have a suspicion you will enjoy it after hearing these last two tracks, but I am hesitant to just say go get one, especially at its price point. Hopefully this helped a little. Maybe someone else can also listen and provide their thoughts. Tks.

Wow, that was really helpful thanks very much for sharing this!

I listen to a fairly broad range of music, so it's not necessarily a dealbreaker if the Elysium's bass can't compete with something like the Fourte on an album like this. However it was still very interesting to hear your thoughts listening to such bass heavy music with the Elysium :)

I think if I were to get one, it would be a complimentary set to another IEM that's maybe a little more v-shaped

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,619 of 5,715
Does anyone know which courier VE normally use? Hoping there’s not too long of a delay given the current situation. DHL seem to be the fastest down here in Australia at the moment.
Hi there,

We are using DHL Express international or FedEx Express.

We did not experience any issues with significant delays by now.

All the best,

Johannes

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Back