Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,591 of 5,715
it's the best i've heard to date.

i swore i'd never buy a universal again...then i heard the erlkonig and sold off all my customs and bought one.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,592 of 5,715
@AEIOU9 @proedros

Elysium has incredible mids and the best vocals I've ever heard. There is a focus on the mids, for sure. They have an overall laid back, but very emotional, musical, and engaging sound. Detail level is quite good, but a bit below the most detailed IEMs I've heard. Bass is the biggest question mark for many people; while it is extremely detailed, and punchy, it is a bit on the lighter side for heavier genres (think edm, pop,) and it lacks sustained rumbling abilities that some people are looking for. I do NOT perceive this as a weakness, but rather a tuning choice, and think it's important to always caveat this.

The Erlkonig is much more balanced overall, with, unquestionably, the most detail I've encountered in an IEM...far more than even my a18t which is already quite good. The bass is easily the best I've ever heard on a BA IEM (and even vs most DD IEMs...it is incredible.) Sub-bass is phenomenal, and the erlky is capable of creating a massive amount of bass that surrounds you and that you can feel, and not just hear. It takes the emotional, musical, and engaging nature of the Elysium, and runs away with it. It has the blackest background I've experienced in an IEM, and the sound that the 13 BAs produce maintains all the positive qualities of a BA-iem, but somehow also portrays the power and smoothness of a DD. FWIW, I sold everything I had to pick up the Erlkonig once I heard it, and it was an easy decision. The erlky also has 4 switchable sounds that are quite distinct...so it has that going for it as well.

Just skimming the surface on differences here, but hopefully that will help drive the conversation a bit further. Is there anything specific either of you are thinking about?

...all that said, I plan to pick up an elysium to complement the erlky, because of the elysium's extremely unique tuning, and because its vocal presentation is unmatched.
Every friggin time you write about the ERLKY you have me salivating!!!! Damn! I hope they make enough.

And yes, you pretty much hit the Elysium sound right on. I would add that as you increase the volume, the bass on the Elysium will get more punchy and it will also have a touch more impact with an even better cable, but it will never be in the realm of the VE-8. Tks.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,593 of 5,715
Every friggin time you write about the ERLKY you have me salivating!!!! Damn! I hope they make enough.

[Takes a bow] Mission accomplished. I just call it like I hear it...the erlky really, really impresses me each time I listen to it.

And yes, you pretty much hit the Elysium sound right on. I would add that as you increase the volume, the bass on the Elysium will get more punchy and it will also have a touch more impact with an even better cable, but it will never be in the realm of the VE-8. Tks.

Indeed.

Always happy to share with others what I hear, especially if it helps bring someone a step closer to finding something they love.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,596 of 5,715
Welcome aboard, @Damz87.

@aaf evo ...bobby, you too!

erlky.jpg

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,604 of 5,715
VE need to hire @toaster

Seriously contemplating also getting an Elysium, based purely on his posts :smile:

I recently got an elysium and love it’s presentation. VE shipped DHL and I got it within 4 days from payment.
The soundstage and imaging is some of the best I’ve heard. I upgraded the cable and saw a noticeable difference. The mids as you’ve heard are amazing. I also love the trebles airiness. The bass doesn’t have authority like my z1r, but I’ve grown to like the bass more on the elysium for most genres. I never realized how much bass can cover up in a song until I heard the elysium.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,605 of 5,715
And I’m still waiting for my elysium which I ordered end of April and now it’s still stuck in customs. It’s agonizing to read how people are enjoying it and all I can do is wait :sweat:

Patience is a virtue.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back