Violectric V222 and V202
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #781 of 1,910
But if you concede that optimum sound quality requires turning an R-2R or multibit DAC on "a few hours" before listening isn't that really an argument for leaving them powered up all the time? Several hours warmup is not really practical for many, if not most, people including me; certainly not for every listening session. When I used the original Schiit Modi Multibit, I left it on all the time (as Schiit recommends). I just got the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 this week and am leaving it on all the time.
Reminds me of a joke from the late great Mitch Hedberg.

I like baked potatoes. I don't have a microwave oven, and it takes forever to bake a potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one.

Because by the time it's done, who knows?

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #782 of 1,910
But if you concede that optimum sound quality requires turning an R-2R or multibit DAC on "a few hours" before listening isn't that really an argument for leaving them powered up all the time? Several hours warmup is not really practical for many, if not most, people including me; certainly not for every listening session. When I used the original Schiit Modi Multibit, I left it on all the time (as Schiit recommends). I just got the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 this week and am leaving it on all the time.
Everyone should do what works the best for his convenience. For DACs you can do what the manufacturer suggests. I am not going to start an argument here about this topic.

For the Violectric specifically that you asked there is absolutely no reason to leave it constantly on unless you are too lazy to switch it off or you just don't care. Absolutely no benefit to sound quality.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #783 of 1,910
Example - The Aune S17 Pro is a fully discrete Class A amplifier. It has an embedded thermometer.
When you switch it on it has the environment temperature, about 27 Celsius.
It needs less than half an hour to reach thermal equilibrium which is about 50 Celsius for this amplifier.
After that point the temperature remains the same with or without a load. You can leave it on for a week. The temperature will remain stable at 50. So there absolutely no reason to leave it constantly on. Half an hour is enough to reach its optimum working temperature.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #784 of 1,910
Can the V222 be used as a preamp with powered speakers?

Edit -- ah, I see that it does not function as a preamp.
If this is incorrect, please tell me.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #785 of 1,910
The Aune S17 Pro is a fully discrete Class A amplifier.

Going somewhat off topic, I was wondering when your review of the Aune S17 Pro might be coming (you mentioned it on your site)? There are no reviews of this yet and it looks very intriguing at a very enticing price ($700 USD). I'm planning to get a new amp in the near future and the two leading candidates are the Aune and the V222, which is close to double the price (unless the Drop offer comes back). Since I'm retired on a fixed income, I need to save for major purchases; I could probably get the Aune in November; the V222 would take at least 2-3 months more.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #786 of 1,910
Deleted. Sorry; inadvertent double post.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #788 of 1,910
Reminds me of a joke from the late great Mitch Hedberg.

I like baked potatoes. I don't have a microwave oven, and it takes forever to bake a potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one.

Because by the time it's done, who knows?
Yeah, I don't care if it shortens the lifetime, I'm not going to be bothered to schedule my usage so as to have to prepare it 30 minutes ahead of time every dang time I am going to use it. My life is too hectic and spontaneous to do that. My luck, I will do that, then something will interrupt me and I will not use it at all, then forget to turn it off, which completely misses the point of "only" turning it on when you're going to use and leaving it off otherwise.

That's another reason I rarely bother with tubes. I found that on more than one occasion, I'd forget to turn it off.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #790 of 1,910
Here's all I can conclude from the last page or two: I need a tube-powered oven for baked potatoes.
You're thinking of an Easy Bake Oven!

Kidding aside, I work from home and my V222 is at my desk so I have it on for most of the day. I only turn it off at night.

1695853520001.png

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #791 of 1,910
In terms of performance, would someone speak to how the V222 might stack up against the Singxer S-A1, for example? I am considering the 222 for use in my study. I've used the V281 before, but it might be too "overkill" for my study. BTW, the V222 may be paired with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #792 of 1,910
Going somewhat off topic, I was wondering when your review of the Aune S17 Pro might be coming (you mentioned it on your site)? There are no reviews of this yet and it looks very intriguing at a very enticing price ($700 USD). I'm planning to get a new amp in the near future and the two leading candidates are the Aune and the V222, which is close to double the price (unless the Drop offer comes back). Since I'm retired on a fixed income, I need to save for major purchases; I could probably get the Aune in November; the V222 would take at least 2-3 months more.
I will need a couple of weeks because I am overloaded ATM. Preliminary impressions are very positive.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #793 of 1,910
Question for people who placed an order for V222 on Drop: did you guys get email confirmation/have the order show up in order history?

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #795 of 1,910
Can the V222 be used as a preamp with powered speakers?

Edit -- ah, I see that it does not function as a preamp.
If this is incorrect, please tell me.
The V226 (I own) is the same amp with preamp functionality and has an inbuilt DAC, but no XLR-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back