Violectric V222 and V202
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #766 of 1,861
I can't decide between the V202 or the V222, I'll be using a single-ended DAC if that helps.

What I'm wondering is how the conversion process works in the V222, if your using a single-ended DAC and headphone are you losing sound quality?, also is the single-ended output less power than the balanced output like on many other amps?
The choice depends on your headphones cable. If they are balanced go for the 222 if they are single ended get the 202.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #767 of 1,861
I can't decide between the V202 or the V222, I'll be using a single-ended DAC if that helps.

What I'm wondering is how the conversion process works in the V222, if your using a single-ended DAC and headphone are you losing sound quality?, also is the single-ended output less power than the balanced output like on many other amps?
The 222 is definitely a more powerful and technically more capable amp, no question about it. You will not "loose" any sound quality feeding it single ended. Will a balanced DAC sound a bit better through XLR? Maybe, and that depends on the DAC too.
But you will certainly loose sound quality by using it over single ended with you headphone since you will only use half the amplification circuit and thus turning it into a V202.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #768 of 1,861
The V222 concerts balanced input to single ended. So from the amps point of view both inputs are of the same high quality.

If the user has a DAC that has real balanced outputs then he should go for the V222 in order not to use the single ended output of his DAC.

And in order to get the best of the combination - balanced DAC+ V222 - he must use the balanced output of the DAC.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #769 of 1,861
The 222 is definitely a more powerful and technically more capable amp, no question about it. You will not "loose" any sound quality feeding it single ended. Will a balanced DAC sound a bit better through XLR? Maybe, and that depends on the DAC too.
But you will certainly loose sound quality by using it over single ended with you headphone since you will only use half the amplification circuit and thus turning it into a V202.

But you could have answered all these questions youself by reading this and any other Violectric thread. Don't be lazy, do you homework here, contribute. Please and thank you.
I've read this entire thread at least twice, the problem is the conversion process that has been previously discussed brings into question is the V222 a true balanced amp, this seems to be a bit of a grey area compared to other 'true balanced amps', also, some amps like the Singxer SA-1 don't work as well going from single ended into balanced out or vice versa, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information as to how the topology of the V222 works exactly, I'm just trying to 'weed' this information out a little more, Violectic seem to imply that due to this conversion process you 'should' get the same quality using balanced or single-ended, if true that is very good.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #771 of 1,861
On the Drop site there is comments that the V222 will be shipped at 110volt configuration but can be switched internally to 240volt. Has anyone done this before, I'm looking for confirmation before buying it as I'm in Australia and 110volt will go boom if I plug it in as is.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #772 of 1,861
On the Drop site there is comments that the V222 will be shipped at 110volt configuration but can be switched internally to 240volt. Has anyone done this before, I'm looking for confirmation before buying it as I'm in Australia and 110volt will go boom if I plug it in as is.

It is easily switched internally. You just have to unscrew two screws on the outside, and then toggle a switch. Literally a two minute job.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #773 of 1,861
It is easily switched internally. You just have to unscrew two screws on the outside, and then toggle a switch. Literally a two minute job.
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'm in on the drop then. Been looking for nearly a year in AU for second hand V280 so this price V222 new is too hard to pass by :grin:

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #775 of 1,861
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #777 of 1,861
Do those of you who own the V202/V222 leave it on 24/7, or does it not benefit much from doing that?
What benefits? You are lowering the lifespan of the capacitors. I turn mine on about half an hour before use in order to reach optimal temperature.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #778 of 1,861
What benefits? You are lowering the lifespan of the capacitors. I turn mine on about half an hour before use in order to reach optimal temperature.
Thanks! Pardon my ignorance since I really know nothing about the lifespan of the capacitors used in these amps, but I guess their longevity is an actual concern? I had honestly just assumed that the electronics in quality headphone amps would outlast any use I had for them. Most people, including myself, seem to leave on their Modi Multibit 2 all the time, and I also leave on my Piety all the time so I can throw on my headphones whenever I want without worrying about them having to warm up. Seems I might need to rethink this when I step up to a bigger boy amp like the V202 though

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #779 of 1,861
Thanks! Pardon my ignorance since I really know nothing about the lifespan of the capacitors used in these amps, but I guess their longevity is an actual concern? I had honestly just assumed that the electronics in quality headphone amps would outlast any use I had for them. Most people, including myself, seem to leave on their Modi Multibit 2 all the time, and I also leave on my Piety all the time so I can throw on my headphones whenever I want without worrying about them having to warm up. Seems I might need to rethink this when I step up to a bigger boy amp like the V202 though
Electronics will probably outlast our existence but there is no need to stress them when it is not necessary and has no benefits for the sound quality.
Multibit DACs are another story, they are supposed that they must be constantly active in order to reach their maximum performance but I kind of disagree. I have tested and owned many multibit and r2r DACs and for my ears the sound quality is the same if you just power the DAC a few hours before listening. I used to have them constantly on but now I just power them a few hours before listening.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #780 of 1,861
Multibit DACs are another story, they are supposed that they must be constantly active in order to reach their maximum performance but I kind of disagree. I have tested and owned many multibit and r2r DACs and for my ears the sound quality is the same if you just power the DAC a few hours before listening. I used to have them constantly on but now I just power them a few hours before listening.
But if you concede that optimum sound quality requires turning an R-2R or multibit DAC on "a few hours" before listening isn't that really an argument for leaving them powered up all the time? Several hours warmup is not really practical for many, if not most, people including me; certainly not for every listening session. When I used the original Schiit Modi Multibit, I left it on all the time (as Schiit recommends). I just got the Denafrips Ares 12th-1 this week and am leaving it on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back