Violectric V222 and V202
Sep 22, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #751 of 1,861
The V222 also has a 6.3mm jack so you wouldn't have to use an adapter :)
I think elsewhere in the thread people were saying that the V202 is actually better than the V222 if you're using it unbalanced

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #752 of 1,861
I have the V200 and had the V281. I can confirm, and Violectric themselves confirmed, that the V200 has more power to the SE than the V281. The V200 does not have balanced and, of course, the V281 balanced outputs more power than the V200 SE.

I imagine it's the same in the V202 vs the V222.

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #753 of 1,861
My goal is to retain the lush "tubey" timbre of the Piety but improve some of the spacial cues and staging with the Atticus, all in a small SS footprint. So the V202/V222 seems like a good choice for this, it's just tough to know how much extra I'd be getting from the V222. I'm not so concerned with getting the last word in technical ability (otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten the Atticus) but it seems people find the staging to be a bit better via the V222 than the V202. I don't have amazing ears and I also don't really listen to music very critically - I just want to be engaged and enveloped in the music and think slightly better separation and staging will get me to exactly where I want - so it's hard to know if I'd even notice the difference between the balanced and SE

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #754 of 1,861
Hoping the V202 ends up on Drop - I'd definitely pull the trigger on that. I'm curious how others feel, but I'm not sure I really "need" the balanced V222 for my Atticus and 6XX. Plus I got a nice FAW Noir Hybrid cable for my Atticus that terminates in 6.3mm so if I got the V222 I'd probably end up wanting to buy a balanced Noir Hybrid cable as well rather than just getting an adapter since I'm sure I'd be neurotic about the possibility of an adapter having any negative impact on the sound lol
The HD650 benefits quite a bit from going balanced on the V226 (same amp as v226, just different I/O).

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #755 of 1,861
Oh boy, is the Drop listing legit? I've never participated in a Drop "pre-order" like this, only ever purchased in-stock items from them. Do these orders ever get cancelled?

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #756 of 1,861
Oh boy, is the Drop listing legit? I've never participated in a Drop "pre-order" like this, only ever purchased in-stock items from them. Do these orders ever get cancelled?
Yeah, for these type of drops, they need a minimum number of preorders so everyone can get in on the lower price. Orders get cancelled if they don't have enough preorders, but I think this drop has met the minimum. I'm pretty sure I saw this as a 2 preorder minimum this morning and now that message is gone.

If you look at this other drop, it'll show you the minimum preorders under the Add to Cart button.
https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-bluetooth-wireless-earphone

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #757 of 1,861
Yeah, for these type of drops, they need a minimum number of preorders so everyone can get in on the lower price. Orders get cancelled if they don't have enough preorders, but I think this drop has met the minimum. I'm pretty sure I saw this as a 2 preorder minimum this morning and now that message is gone.

If you look at this other drop, it'll show you the minimum preorders under the Add to Cart button.
https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-bluetooth-wireless-earphone
Thank you very much for this! Just added it to cart and will probably move forward with the purchase. Wish the delivery date could be sooner though.

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #758 of 1,861
I saw this just a couple of days after spending my hard saved money (I'm retired on a fixed income) on a Denafrips Ares II 12th-1, which I've coveted for quite a while (FedEx has the package ATM in China,). They are nearly the same price and if I had seen this before pulling the trigger on the DAC, I might have gotten it, since I am also planning on upgrading my amp in a few months after more saving. If this deal reappears then, I might grab it. If not, I'm waiting on reviews of the brand new Aune S17 Pro discrete Class A amp, which looks very intriguing for $700 USD.

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #760 of 1,861
Topping amps and DACs are made for gamers who stare at fps counters and overlay temps every 2 seconds instead of focussing onto the game. Also explains the rabid crowd's wilfull submission to the de-facto subscription model of upgrading every 6 months while simultanously touting DACs and amps as a "solved problem".

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #761 of 1,861
Is there a difference in sonics between SE and XLR inputs for the 222?

Since the unit appears to convert all inputs to SE while the signal goes through the volume pot, I wonder if that extra stage brings a change in sound...
Not really, loving this thing with a Modi Multibit 2 (true early-endgame TM, crimminally underated that thing is) right now.
Get this, an HD6XX (you can brutally mod the crap out it), Modi Multibit 2 and cry tears of joy together with your wallet...
It complements the Violectrics's wide stage with giving it more depth, while accenting its already great imaging, clarity and blackground. It gives the image the so much sought of "glow from within" usually only tubes give you.
Think this is it people, found my crazy good, ultimate synergy with the V222/226.
:joy:

*oh - and as a secret little tip try Roon upsampling with the Modi in NOS. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #762 of 1,861
Not really, loving this thing with a Modi Multibit 2 (true early-endgame TM, crimminally underated that thing is) right now.
Get this, an HD6XX (you can brutally mod the crap out it), Modi Multibit 2 and cry tears of joy together with your wallet...
It complements the Violectrics's wide stage with giving it more depth, while accenting its already great imaging, clarity and blackground. It gives the image the so much sought of "glow from within" usually only tubes give you.
Think this is it people, found my crazy good, ultimate synergy with the V222/226.
:joy:

*oh - and as a secret little tip try Roon upsampling with the Modi in NOS. :wink:
Great to see some impressions with the MMB2! Seems people find the Bifrost 2 to have really good synergy with the V202/V222 but it's great to know that seems to carry down to the Modi Multibit 2 since this is the pairing I'm planning on, and it'll probably be my 'economical' endgame.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #763 of 1,861
Great to see some impressions with the MMB2! Seems people find the Bifrost 2 to have really good synergy with the V202/V222 but it's great to know that seems to carry down to the Modi Multibit 2 since this is the pairing I'm planning on, and it'll probably be my 'economical' endgame.
I actually had the OG and the 2/64 with my V226, with the OG it was the most fun and punchy combo but lacked a bit of air/realism in the upper octaves, 2/64 had it but was a bit to cool and dry for my taste. The MM2 is smack bang in the middle, timbre is more accurate and thus sound s more coherent from lows to highs, giving the 226 realism while keeping the fun and punchy nature of the OG.

IMHO the Modi Multibit 2 is the perfect fit for my V226, a rich, clear, liquid, punchy, detailed and 3 dimensional sound. Chefkiss :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #764 of 1,861
delete please

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #765 of 1,861
I can't decide between the V202 or the V222, I'll be using a single-ended DAC if that helps.

What I'm wondering is how the conversion process works in the V222, if your using a single-ended DAC and headphone are you losing sound quality?, also is the single-ended output less power than the balanced output like on many other amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back