Violectric V222 and V202
Aug 13, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #721 of 1,865
Just got my V222 in a trade deal and wow, I'm so glad I have this back now. I had almost forgotten how much of an "early endgame" amp this thing is.

The bass, the soundstage depth, the fowardness, lack of fatigue, all that fits in beautifully with my setup and especially my Ock-2 boosting my X26 Pro and U18.

After owning much more expensive top class amps, I can safely say I may have found my "dream amp" and won't upgrade further unless Lake People comes out with a direct model-line upgrade from the V222 or an improved version but I wouln't know for sure.

I can't wait for my VO to try with my V222.

Which amps did you have inbetween your V222s?

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #722 of 1,865
Which amps did you have inbetween your V222s?

V550, Burson Soloist GT, Ferrum stack and iFi Pro Signature stack. Its not that these amps are bad or anything they're all excellent, it's just that my tastes have finally settled on something akin to the V222.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #725 of 1,865
V222 like the HD650 grows in power when you spend time away from it aha

came to it today and it grabbed me in the soul with such musical force.. it's just a ridiculously good piece.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #726 of 1,865
Is there a difference in sonics between SE and XLR inputs for the 222?

Since the unit appears to convert all inputs to SE while the signal goes through the volume pot, I wonder if that extra stage brings a change in sound...

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #727 of 1,865
Is there a difference in sonics between SE and XLR inputs for the 222?

Since the unit appears to convert all inputs to SE while the signal goes through the volume pot, I wonder if that extra stage brings a change in sound...
In my V550 it certainly is, dynamics, seperation, resolution improves quite a lot.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #728 of 1,865
In my V550 it certainly is, dynamics, seperation, resolution improves quite a lot.
I am with you on XLR generally - my system is all XLR. But your 550 does not convert to SE for the volume control like the 222 does, iirc.

I would certainly use the balanced output on the 222, but I am curious if feeding it an SE signal sounds any different than the XLR since the unit doesn't have to convert the signal from balanced to SE.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #730 of 1,865
I finally received mine from Thomann. It has maybe 25 hours on it so far.

Initial thoughts:

- I don't hear any midrange warmth or especially powerful bass

- I do hear treble sweetness - ie, extended, delicate treble, without any grain or harshness.

- It has more detail and resolution than I expected.

- It makes my Singxer sound a bit sterile, but it doesn't have the note density of my Liquid Platinum.

- Its soundstage is immense and presentation is very open - often sounding like I am not even wearing headphones (via my senn HD800s).

- I don't like the "clicks" on the volume control. I much prefer silky smooth volume controls.

- It seems well enough built, but is not as solid as I expected for the cost. Ie, I have generic DACs that have thicker, heavier enclosures.

- Why the oblong form factor? It is deeper than all of my other equipment, making stacking it awkward.

More to come as it burns in...

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #731 of 1,865
I finally received mine from Thomann. It has maybe 25 hours on it so far.

Initial thoughts:

- I don't hear any midrange warmth or especially powerful bass

- I do hear treble sweetness - ie, extended, delicate treble, without any grain or harshness.

- It has more detail and resolution than I expected.

- It makes my Singxer sound a bit sterile, but it doesn't have the note density of my Liquid Platinum.

- Its soundstage is immense and presentation is very open - often sounding like I am not even wearing headphones (via my senn HD800s).

- I don't like the "clicks" on the volume control. I much prefer silky smooth volume controls.

- It seems well enough built, but is not as solid as I expected for the cost. Ie, I have generic DACs that have thicker, heavier enclosures.

- Why the oblong form factor? It is deeper than all of my other equipment, making stacking it awkward.

More to come as it burns in...

That's strange, almost everyone will agree that it is a warm tube-like SS amp, the mids are a bit forward and there is heavier bass impact.

Burn in will open up the soundstage even further.
Most V222 owners (myself included) will set the attenuation to -6dB which will give you more volume range control.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #732 of 1,865
That's strange, almost everyone will agree that it is a warm tube-like SS amp, the mids are a bit forward and there is heavier bass impact.

Burn in will open up the soundstage even further.
Most V222 owners (myself included) will set the attenuation to -6dB which will give you more volume range control.

Yeah, I am counting on the mids and bass becoming more prominent - that is the signature I was aiming for.

Hopefully more burn in will correct this - let alone increase the soundstaging...

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #733 of 1,865
Gonna start calling this amp my precious aha

It just sounds incredible with my HD600s and Taz. I think this is what it feels like to be done searching. Yea the main rig is complete. I can just mess around with some other cheaper amps with my Schitt DAC, but there's no more urgency to find the right thing. This is it. :)

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #734 of 1,865
Gonna start calling this amp my precious aha

It just sounds incredible with my HD600s and Taz. I think this is what it feels like to be done searching. Yea the main rig is complete. I can just mess around with some other cheaper amps with my Schitt DAC, but there's no more urgency to find the right thing. This is it. :)
Are you using the Modius as the DAC going to the V222?

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #735 of 1,865
Are you using the Modius as the DAC going to the V222?

No, I'm using the Sony TA-ZH1ES, or Tazzy as it's sometimes affectionately called.

I have the Modius hooked up to the Cavalli LCX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back