Violectric V222 and V202
Jun 6, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #631 of 1,728
Finally got my V222 :beerchug:
Congrats! How does it compare to your other model? You're getting some good use out of those Audio-Technicas or did a pet get a hold of it for a chew toy?

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #632 of 1,728
Congrats! How does it compare to your other model? You're getting some good use out of those Audio-Technicas or did a pet get a hold of it for a chew toy?

Haha my old coworker asked for them back as a joke so I took them out for a photo. Figured why not share it with Head-Fi 😁

Need to listen some more but going off memory the sound out of the V222 sounds warmer than my old V340, but may sound closer to it than the V280. Both old and new models are warm but the V280 moreso, while the V222 is noticeably cleaner.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #633 of 1,728

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #635 of 1,728
Can you tell if there's any difference in audio quality if i plug my rca DAC to xlr violectric AMP? i don't mean the pure balanced connection, i mean if there's any audible differencies in the violectric xlr circuitry

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #636 of 1,728
Can you tell if there's any difference in audio quality if i plug my rca DAC to xlr violectric AMP? i don't mean the pure balanced connection, i mean if there's any audible differencies in the violectric xlr circuitry
How to plug your RCA DAC to the XLR input of the Violectric?

Jun 14, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #637 of 1,728
How to plug your RCA DAC to the XLR input of the Violectric?
Easy, not sure if useful or wise tough:
1686715630303.png

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #638 of 1,728
Easy, not sure if useful tough:
1686715630303.png
Such connection is not recommended.
You can't go from single ended to balanced and there is no need to do it.
For a Violectric amp with both RCA and XLR inputs the op should use the one that best fits his DAC output.

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #639 of 1,728
Take special care when going balanced out from a DAC to RCA with standard XLR-RCA cables that come unprepared for such a scenario. Most cables come that way.

If for instance PIN 3 is connected to the RCA your DAC will definitely fry over time.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #640 of 1,728
I wanted to re-post something I wrote in another thread, just so everyone's V222 opinions can be consolidated in one spot https://www.head-fi.org/threads/warmest-solid-state-amp.966279/post-17592978

I've had multiple solid state amps (SMSL SP200, Schiit Asgard, Singxer SA-1, Burson Soloist 3XP) and tube amps (Feliks Echo, Eddie Current ZDT Jr) and my favourite one of all has been the Violectric V222. I can't recommend it strongly enough if you want both warmth and clarity. And it costs less than other amps which go for a similar balance (GSX Mini, Ferrum Oor), but I haven't listened to those so I can't comment on anything other than the price.

I found the SP200 and SA-1 to be dry and sharp. Asgard was warm but too muddled. Soloist was an improvement over the SA-1 but I think it still falls into that THX/measurements camp. Just my opinion though, everyone's ears and preferences are different. But for what it's worth: two reviewers I respect highly (WaveTheory and MidfiGuy) both love Violectric amps the most, and I can see why.
TL;DR: I love this amp, I highly recommend it for people who like clarity and warmth with no sacrifices.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #641 of 1,728
Received my V222 today. First impressions is that i need some time to decide (have 30 days) which of the V222 or V380 MK2 i'll keep (that's why i closed my V380 classifieds).
But out of the box i prefer the sound of the V380. More space and more body. Sure burn-in (from the V222 and/or from my brain) may push me in the other direction. So for 2-3 weeks i'll only listen to the V222 and then...
Anyway both are outstanding device😀
I've decided to keep the V380 Mk2 and to send back the V222. To my ears it was not close... but it's also true that i did not have the patience to fully burn in the V222 so YMMV...
RCA from my Dac to the V380 was much better (more weight to the notes, more soundstage) then to the V222.
And XLR from my Dac to the V222 was too agressive and less musical to my ears even if everything was more "separated".
So i can keep things like this (but i'm already wondering what i'm missing going unbalanced from my Dac) or i can try the V550 to be able to test RCA and XLR inputs from my Dac...
Down the rabbit hole😉

Jun 19, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #642 of 1,728
I've decided to keep the V380 Mk2 and to send back the V222. To my ears it was not close... but it's also true that i did not have the patience to fully burn in the V222 so YMMV...
RCA from my Dac to the V380 was much better (more weight to the notes, more soundstage) then to the V222.
And XLR from my Dac to the V222 was too agressive and less musical to my ears even if everything was more "separated".
So i can keep things like this (but i'm already wondering what i'm missing going unbalanced from my Dac) or i can try the V550 to be able to test RCA and XLR inputs from my Dac...
Down the rabbit hole😉
I had the opportunity to compare head-to-head DHA380V1 and DHA590V1. Using LCD-XC I couldn't hear any difference when using their internal DACs.
But! Low-resistance and low-sensitivity headphones will clearly benefit from switching to the DHA590 or HPA550. Also, given that external DACs can have different efficiency when connected to an amplifier via a RCA or an XLR, the HPA550 will be a more advantageous acquisition, including for the future.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #643 of 1,728
Down the rabbit hole😉
Congratulations with your decision :smile_phones:
Just a clarifying question: V380 Mk2 is a DAC/Amp whereas V222 is only an amp. So when you compared the 2, did you use the same DAC? Thanks

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #644 of 1,728
Congratulations with your decision :smile_phones:
Just a clarifying question: V380 Mk2 is a DAC/Amp whereas V222 is only an amp. So when you compared the 2, did you use the same DAC? Thanks
Yes i used the same separate (external) Dac (Merason frérot with it's POW1 power supply - a little wonder to my ears with the V380).
And as it is the V222 thread i'll add that it's super cool to be able to switch between RCA and XLR inputs with just a click on the V222. Just have to find the "perfect" Dac to make it sing☀️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back