Violectric V222 and V202
May 29, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #616 of 1,779
If it was like the V340 that I had then it is indeed a smooth potentiometer but the mechanism that rotates the physical knob has slight notches to match level markings on the faceplate. So it has the feel of a stepped attenuator but is actually a standard pot.

Personally I would've preferred smooth movement without the notches but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Edit- I see ichos responded before me, thank you.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #617 of 1,779
If it was like the V340 that I had then it is indeed a smooth potentiometer but the mechanism that rotates the physical knob has slight notches to match level markings on the faceplate. So it has the feel of a stepped attenuator but is actually a standard pot.

Personally I would've preferred smooth movement without the notches but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Edit- I see ichos responded before me, thank you.
Yeah that's true, I love those "slight notches" even tho it's kind of weird when matching volumes with other amps but, just a different experience when rotating the knob

May 29, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #618 of 1,779
It appears to be a difference in preference.

As for the feel, the notches are narrowly spaced, giving the impression that they are difficult to fine-tune, but once you get used to them, you may not mind.

May 29, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #619 of 1,779
I love the knob on Violectric devices but if I had to nitpick I prefer the smoother knobs like on the feliks audio, currently during my daily listening while I work I use just a finger to touch back and forth the euforia knob when there is small difference in track gain, I was annoyed I couldn't do that with violectric. But that is really small thing, it is really good stepping knob on violectric regardless of the previous "issue".

May 29, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #620 of 1,779
Re balanced output vs fully balanced: you can read threads, here and elsewhere, on this topic until the end of time, and you'll find no concurrence about which design is absolutely the best. That's because such concurrence is impossible: each designer does things the best way he/she conceptualizes, and then implementation and build quality bring it over the finish line.

I bought my V280 because it is fully balanced with both SE and XLR inputs and converting even the SE to balanced out; this seemed to be Violectric's flagship approach. And then I bought a Phonitor 2 which goes the other way, according to their view SE is better. I wanted to have an example of each company's life-as-we-know-it.

And then Fried started supporting DSD, kinda went away from balanced (hard to find a Violectric with XLR inputs in the new lineup) and then SPL brought out the Phonitor XE which has balanced in and balanced out...

So, yeah not only is there no concurrence, there is even no concurrence in the companies that posited strong views (the V280 manual has a whole section on why balanced is better).

It's all academic to me anyway. I've never had a balanced output DAC and probably never will; I already have such bad gain issues that having a DAC output 4.0 - 6.0 volts (double what I get from my single-ended DAC now) is a nightmarish idea.

Well, I think it helps since the more drive there is the less work the amp has to do.

All the Violectric manual pots are smooth in their operation but with discreet, click steps.

I find this really annoying. With so much power, it feels like you often need a setting between the clicks.

Agreed.

Of the systems I'm aware of, I prefer Audio-gd's relay controlled volume. The curve is amazing, huge level of control of volume and range, while the knob turns smoothly.

May 29, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #621 of 1,779
Hello, for those who are receiving their new V202/222, please share your impressions and thoughts about the sound. It would be much appreciated

Thanks!

May 29, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #622 of 1,779
I bought my V280 because it is fully balanced with both SE and XLR inputs and converting even the SE to balanced out; this seemed to be Violectric's flagship approach. And then I bought a Phonitor 2 which goes the other way, according to their view SE is better. I wanted to have an example of each company's life-as-we-know-it.

And then Fried started supporting DSD, kinda went away from balanced (hard to find a Violectric with XLR inputs in the new lineup) and then SPL brought out the Phonitor XE which has balanced in and balanced out...

So, yeah not only is there no concurrence, there is even no concurrence in the companies that posited strong views (the V280 manual has a whole section on why balanced is better).

Well, I think it helps since the more drive there is the less work the amp has to do.

I find this really annoying. With so much power, it feels like you often need a setting between the clicks.

Agreed.

Of the systems I'm aware of, I prefer Audio-gd's relay controlled volume. The curve is amazing, huge level of control of volume and range, while the knob turns smoothly.
The V222 (and all others I think) has 40 discrete steps of volume adjustment which I find to be enough for fine adjusting the volume.
It works for me but I understand that it might not work for others.

May 29, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #623 of 1,779
Really??

V202 arrived today and I was expecting smooth operation.
But my V202 has a step and click volume.

change the specs....?
Years ago when I bought the Lake People G-109A single-ended amp, I was surprised to find it had steps in the volume pot. But the volume pot was an alps R27, clearly not a true stepped pot that uses different resistors for the attenuation from each step. I found out later it was just a variant of the standard, non-stepped pot. The "steps" were just detents the wiper contact moved through. Otherwise the same as a typical wiper-contact, non-stepped pot.

I've never had my hands on a V202, but I'll bet it's the same situation. I can't find the V202's manual. It might have something to say on this topic.

I really don't care for ASR, but the best explanation I found of this stepped/not stepped R27 is in this ASR post (top one on the page):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-preamp-with-stepped-attenuator.43381/page-6

May 29, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #625 of 1,779
Years ago when I bought the Lake People G-109A single-ended amp, I was surprised to find it had steps in the volume pot. But the volume pot was an alps R27, clearly not a true stepped pot that uses different resistors for the attenuation from each step. I found out later it was just a variant of the standard, non-stepped pot. The "steps" were just detents the wiper contact moved through. Otherwise the same as a typical wiper-contact, non-stepped pot.

I've never had my hands on a V202, but I'll bet it's the same situation. I can't find the V202's manual. It might have something to say on this topic.

I really don't care for ASR, but the best explanation I found of this stepped/not stepped R27 is in this ASR post (top one on the page):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-preamp-with-stepped-attenuator.43381/page-6

LmpwZWc.jpeg

May 29, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #627 of 1,779
I'm going from the all in one Dac/Amp Violectric DHA V380 MK2 to the separate Dac and Amp road. I got a very good deal for a used Dac Merason frérot with it's POW1 power supply. It's really a step up from the already good internal Dac of the V380 MK2... but the price also (1900 USD new for the frérot and it's power supply).
To join the party i've ordered a Violectric DHA V222 and looking forward to try the combo.
Shameless plug : If you're looking for a great all in one you can look at my classifieds 😊

May 30, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #628 of 1,779
I'm going from the all in one Dac/Amp Violectric DHA V380 MK2 to the separate Dac and Amp road. I got a very good deal for a used Dac Merason frérot with it's POW1 power supply. It's really a step up from the already good internal Dac of the V380 MK2... but the price also (1900 USD new for the frérot and it's power supply).
To join the party i've ordered a Violectric DHA V222 and looking forward to try the combo.
Shameless plug : If you're looking for a great all in one you can look at my classifieds 😊
Excellent, tell how it goes, been thinking of "upgrading" my V222 and V850 to V380 mk2 all in one to make my setup cleaner.
If it sounds as good as V222 I would consider it :)
Read about V590 and it is not for me tough, it is more on the clinical side and that is a no for me.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #629 of 1,779
Excellent, tell how it goes, been thinking of "upgrading" my V222 and V850 to V380 mk2 all in one to make my setup cleaner.
If it sounds as good as V222 I would consider it :)
Read about V590 and it is not for me tough, it is more on the clinical side and that is a no for me.
Received my V222 today. First impressions is that i need some time to decide (have 30 days) which of the V222 or V380 MK2 i'll keep (that's why i closed my V380 classifieds).
But out of the box i prefer the sound of the V380. More space and more body. Sure burn-in (from the V222 and/or from my brain) may push me in the other direction. So for 2-3 weeks i'll only listen to the V222 and then...
Anyway both are outstanding device😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back