Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,936 of 5,985
Hi JS... I've just been aware that you also have the same amp from your post in this thread.

What I mean by lacking is not in terms of quantity but more in terms of impact and punch. Maybe I was spoiled by Utopia's (and even LCD-X) mid-bass, and I cant help but wishing Empy's bass has tad more slam. Like I said in my FB post, I will give this cable more time, but I highly doubt I will see improvement the direction I wish for.

For the Black Dragon, if you like the sound, you should also try Cardas Clear. IMO it's better than the BD. But if you decide to go with the BD, I dont think you can go wrong. Moon-Audio cables are of great quality. I have my Silver Dragon for more than 3 years and now the cable still looks pristine. Comparing with Lazuli Ref that uses mesh sheathing material, which I can notice minor deformity in some areas with only 1 month of use (it still sounds great though).
If you’re looking for bass slam ditch the Empyreans and get an LCD-4. It’s a fantastic pairing w/V281 and they’re selling for less on the used market than the Meze cans. LCD-4 is also a good complementary headphone to the Utopias

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #4,937 of 5,985
I have my V281 matched with the RME, and for the Empyrean I just don't find it lacking in bass impact.

Again it's not as dynamic as the Utopia on this same DAC/AMP pairing, but I don't feel it's an issue.

Interesting that you are finding this with the use of a silver cable whereas I am only using the standard XLR.

I do play around with the EQ on my RME which allows for quick B/T adjustments.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #4,938 of 5,985
If you’re looking for bass slam ditch the Empyreans and get an LCD-4. It’s a fantastic pairing w/V281 and they’re selling for less on the used market than the Meze cans. LCD-4 is also a good complementary headphone to the Utopias

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually gave the LCD4 a listen some time ago (back to back with LCD-X). Whilst the LCD4 sounded better and more refined in all areas, I didnt find it vastly different (dare I say superior?) to the LCD-X. Since I already own the LCD-X I did not buy the LCD4 at that time.

In any case, with this economy, I may not buy additional headphones until I can sell some of my current ones (LCD-X and/or HD650... or maybe the Empy too!).

I have my V281 matched with the RME, and for the Empyrean I just don't find it lacking in bass impact.

Again it's not as dynamic as the Utopia on this same DAC/AMP pairing, but I don't feel it's an issue.

Interesting that you are finding this with the use of a silver cable whereas I am only using the standard XLR.

I do play around with the EQ on my RME which allows for quick B/T adjustments.

If I didn't have the Utopia, I might not "feel" that the Empy is lacking. You might be right about the Empy's bass (that it might not be as bad as I said). Maybe it's just me and my preference. Will give it some more time to consider whether I will keep this. If I am to sell it, it would be at substantial discount, else it might take forever to sell.

Anyway, I will stop this annoying babbling! I have learnt from this discussion that the amp and headphones seem to have good synergy, and cable should not be a problem... must be my preference then haha.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,939 of 5,985
Have been using this amp for nearly 3 years and still pleased with the sound/performance. I bought it almost 3 years ago to use with LCD-X and HD650 with great result (now I still have those 2 headphones but not use them much anymore).

My current setup with this amp is Utopia and Empyrean, with QB9 Twenty Dac (thanks Ayre for providing this upgrade solution to re-vitalize this almost 10 years old DAC).

Since you also have Utopia and Empy, and you seemed to be happy with this amp with the Empy, do you feel that the low end is a bit lacking?

I now use Empy with Meze's Silver Plated cable through XLR output of the amp, and feel that low end lacks impact and slam. It's almost night and day comparing with Utopia with Lazuli Ref.

I tried Silver Dragon XLR with the Empy and the low end was improved slightly but not to my satisfaction. Dont know if this is just due to the Empy sound signature or there is something I can do to improve this area. What's your finding mate?

I think you are not getting the BASS you want do to the Alcantara pads you need the Leather pads to get more impact. I am running my Empyreans with Norne Audio 8-Wire SILVER LITZ Custom and it really helps the Empyreans open up and get tighter and faster bass slam. I am going Chord Dave > V281 > Empyreans and this is number #2 go too vs the Chord Dave > Euforia > Utopia's

I have tried to listen to the LCD4 at the store with the TT2 and Chord Dave but for some reason it sounded very bad like turning the volume the highest and only hearing 40% of the music something was holding the LCD4 back. But I think there are just some people that want 90% bass then the rest the is headphone. But for me I want detailed fast and tight bass nothing bloated or over the top. My Sony Z1R does a awesome job with the BASS but is very source defendant.
123456789.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #4,940 of 5,985
I think you are not getting the BASS you want do to the Alcantara pads you need the Leather pads to get more impact. I am running my Empyreans with Norne Audio 8-Wire SILVER LITZ Custom and it really helps the Empyreans open up and get tighter and faster bass slam. I am going Chord Dave > V281 > Empyreans and this is number #2 go too vs the Chord Dave > Euforia > Utopia's

I have tried to listen to the LCD4 at the store with the TT2 and Chord Dave but for some reason it sounded very bad like turning the volume the highest and only hearing 40% of the music something was holding the LCD4 back. But I think there are just some people that want 90% bass then the rest the is headphone. But for me I want detailed fast and tight bass nothing bloated or over the top. My Sony Z1R does a awesome job with the BASS but is very source defendant.123456789.jpg

Good point about Empy pads. When I owned one, I loved the feel of the alcantara pad but much preferred the sound of the leathers. Better bass, for one thing, though the Empyrean isn't (nor was it designed to be) a basshead design.

After I got my ZMF Ori 4+ years ago, my 1st planar, I just assumed all planars had bass as good as that (the Ori has exceptional bass in every way). But in the years since, with various planars I've owned (empyrean; pre-fazor LCD-2.1; pre-fazor LCD-3; HEX v2), I found that some really bring the bass, while others are about other sonic things. In other words, the usual headphone heterogeneity prevails.

One thing is for sure: the V281 will help ANY headphone achieve its greatest & most satisfying bass output, quantitatively and qualitatively. The V281 just slams like crazy when given the opportunity...

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #4,941 of 5,985
I didn’t even think about the pads. Recently I’ve been using the Alcantara but I normally use leather as I find it keeps everything more controlled. I can add bass with the RME but the leather pads ensures a clean slate to work from. Alcantara is I smoother sounding.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,943 of 5,985
@PrTv have you EQ'ed at all? I miss the RME ADI-2 for how easy it was to bump up the lower frequencies but you can do it in software too such as Roon

Sorry I missed your post. No... I did not EQ at all. In the past I had that "misconception" that EQing the sound is like tainting the pureness of the sound from the source, which is a No No. Now we all know that what I believed is not true!

Anyway, short answer is no. Now it's even more complicated since I moved to a dedicated streamer like an Aurender, which, to my understanding, does not support EQ.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,944 of 5,985
I think I will post this here as still the 590 thread is not as active as this thread

So where I live we have the socket in the pic and the 590 power cable came with the plug in the pic

Would Violetcirc benefit from a different power cord, as the sockets where I live are different than other countries

If it matters does anyone know where to buy a proper power cord

497659-452617-800.jpg
original.jpg

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #4,945 of 5,985
After a while of wanting to step up my amplifier game a bit and doing research with regard to my existing source gear and headphones and considering what I might want to do later I have sought out and found a v281 and it is shipping to me now.
I will be going though this thread to learn more but I suspect that I will have some questions for the group in the weeks to come.

The v281 I purchased has a USB DAC module and the volume control is smooth - not the stepped version.

My current primary DAC is a Bifrost 2 - I understand that the warmer leaning coloring of the v281 and the softness of the Bf2 may not be the best synergy but, that is what I will be using while I narrow down a more optimal DAC to pair with the v281.
I am leaning towards a Soekris dacXXXX.

Headphones I currently own are Hex V2, LCD-2pf (2.2), Elegia, Lawton modded d5000 and a stock th610 that I have a Lawton mod in the works.
Other amps I own include A3, Liquid Platinum, and a Jotunheim 2.

I would like to build up a source that will allow me eventually to justify the purchase of a Hek v2. Or, at least that is my current end-game goal.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #4,946 of 5,985
I loved the A2 version of the Gungnir or the one you would get if you bought it sometime starting at the end of 2017 (iirc) until today. That was my favorite pairing despite me liking the Bifrost 2 a lot as well. Remember that the Bifrost 2 is slightly warmer, softer over UNISON. I recommend getting a good transport like the PI2AES and go towards the SPDIF and see how that matches up for you (and in general for any other future DAC as it's such an outstanding transport).

Gungnir A2 has a cooler tonality overall with lots of macro/microdynamics, popping transients and as expected: Moffat's superb bass slam and character.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #4,947 of 5,985
After a while of wanting to step up my amplifier game a bit and doing research with regard to my existing source gear and headphones and considering what I might want to do later I have sought out and found a v281 and it is shipping to me now.
I will be going though this thread to learn more but I suspect that I will have some questions for the group in the weeks to come.

The v281 I purchased has a USB DAC module and the volume control is smooth - not the stepped version.

My current primary DAC is a Bifrost 2 - I understand that the warmer leaning coloring of the v281 and the softness of the Bf2 may not be the best synergy but, that is what I will be using while I narrow down a more optimal DAC to pair with the v281.
I am leaning towards a Soekris dacXXXX.

Headphones I currently own are Hex V2, LCD-2pf (2.2), Elegia, Lawton modded d5000 and a stock th610 that I have a Lawton mod in the works.
Other amps I own include A3, Liquid Platinum, and a Jotunheim 2.

I would like to build up a source that will allow me eventually to justify the purchase of a Hek v2. Or, at least that is my current end-game goal.
The V281 is an awesome amp. I love it's slightly warm, detailed, and spacious sound. It has outstanding power and I think you're going to be very happy with its sound. My has the USB DAC module as well. I did try it out and it will serve in a pinch, but my Hugo 2 run circles around it. So experiment with the DAC options you have. I feel the V281 is transparent enough to let you hear their differences.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #4,948 of 5,985
V281 works brilliantly off both my Hugo 2 or RME as DAC’s. I too have the DAC included with my V281 (I have the FE), but it doesn’t come close to the RME/H2 for me.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,949 of 5,985
Yes, the integrated DAC in the V281 works and produces sound, but almost every decent external DAC will outperform it. I pair the RME and Burson Composer with the V281 and I am very happy with both combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back