Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #4,921 of 5,991
What did you pair it with so far and what do you particularly or generally like about it?
Looks like he has got a Hugo 2 or TT2 on it, but I am just judging from the picture.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #4,922 of 5,991
Oh, true, I just meant headphone wise.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #4,923 of 5,991
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #4,924 of 5,991
What did you pair it with so far and what do you particularly or generally like about it?
Right now, I have my Kennerton Wodan’s hooked to it. The dynamics, resolution, imaging are very, very good with this combo. The Wodan’s sound so spacious out of the V281. Bass, midrange and treble sound spot on as I’m hearing no flaws in the frequency spectrum. Geese, the V281 is fast.

I’m going to try other headphones later, namely my Susvara’s and TC’s, to see how the V281 handles them. Right now, the Wodan’s are sounding superb!

421B956C-FA3D-438B-AAC8-67988EE1A51D.jpeg

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,925 of 5,991
Just tried my Abyss TC's on the V281. Originally, I had the gain set at -6 dB. That proved not to be enough to properly power them to a suitable volume levels. I moved to +6 dB and now we're talking. Incredible, crazy dynamics and slam. The soundstage was way outside my head. The resolution and air the TC's had being driven by the V281 seemed infinite. Great extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum while providing a very full sounding midrange. The V281 is giving the TC's drivers a serious workout. Next up the Susvara's.....

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #4,926 of 5,991
And I've been getting great sound out of my new silkwood Verite Open on the V281. It's not just my #1 headphone amp, but also a very flexible system preamp. My system has gain issues, so the pre-amp gain switches inside the case save the day (currently set to -12 dB, same as the headphone output's gain).

The V281 has just about the best SS sound I've heard: dynamics, bass impact/depth, and soundstage are exemplary IMO.

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #4,927 of 5,991
And I've been getting great sound out of my new silkwood Verite Open on the V281. It's not just my #1 headphone amp, but also a very flexible system preamp. My system has gain issues, so the pre-amp gain switches inside the case save the day (currently set to -12 dB, same as the headphone output's gain).

The V281 has just about the best SS sound I've heard: dynamics, bass impact/depth, and soundstage are exemplary IMO.
+1, I'm haven't experienced such depth from a solid state amp since I've been in this hobby. The sound space of the V281 rivals that of a good tube amp. It's extremely wide and deep with outstanding sonics to go along with it.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #4,928 of 5,991
+1, I'm haven't experienced such depth from a solid state amp since I've been in this hobby. The sound space of the V281 rivals that of a good tube amp. It's extremely wide and deep with outstanding sonics to go along with it.

True, and it even gets more tubish sounding when used with those 300V halogen power cables. And more neutral silver plated power cables. This is the most sensitive amp I tried for changes in your power cables.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #4,929 of 5,991
True, and it even gets more tubish sounding when used with those 300V halogen power cables. And more neutral silver plated power cables. This is the most sensitive amp I tried for changes in your power cables.
I have a VH Audio Flavor 4 power cord heading my way. I'll see what kind on changes it brings to the V281.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #4,931 of 5,991
This AMP also just brings out the best mids emotions in my Chord Qutest. It pairs so well with a qutest you will probably damaged you ears for listening so much.
I have a Chord TT2/HMS combo hooked up to mine at the moment. Before that I was using my Hugo 2, which has the same DAC as your Qutest. But you're right, not only are the mids good on the V281, but the entire frequency range from top to bottom is outstanding.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #4,932 of 5,991

Yep. Now Niimbus is even more reactive and thus harder to match or let's say there are more steps to go before you are settled.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,933 of 5,991
Have been using this amp for nearly 3 years and still pleased with the sound/performance. I bought it almost 3 years ago to use with LCD-X and HD650 with great result (now I still have those 2 headphones but not use them much anymore).

My current setup with this amp is Utopia and Empyrean, with QB9 Twenty Dac (thanks Ayre for providing this upgrade solution to re-vitalize this almost 10 years old DAC).

DSC03629.jpg

Well i've just setup the V281 FE and I'm just blown away by this device. The aesthetics alone have me excited, but the sound with the Empyrean is just amazing.

Something I didn't realise about the Final Edition is that the body casing is done in black - like an anodised black aluminium. The regular V281 has a dark grey rough surface which when borrowing a friends unit recently, I wasn't that keen on. This black finish on the FE matches the RME ADI-2 perfectly and they look amazing together (I've paired my RME with V281 and Hugo 2 with WA2).

I've immediately plugged in my Empyrean as I haven't heard them in a few days and it's such a nice contrast to the Utopia/WA2/Hugo 2 and Stellia/Hugo 2 combinations i've been listening to this past weekend and at work today. The Empyrean just sounds so calm and easy and I am really happy I went with the Utopia/Empyrean pairing, even more so that i've found an AMP that works for both.

I haven't yet given the V281 DAC a go but I will get to that this week.

Since you also have Utopia and Empy, and you seemed to be happy with this amp with the Empy, do you feel that the low end is a bit lacking?

I now use Empy with Meze's Silver Plated cable through XLR output of the amp, and feel that low end lacks impact and slam. It's almost night and day comparing with Utopia with Lazuli Ref.

I tried Silver Dragon XLR with the Empy and the low end was improved slightly but not to my satisfaction. Dont know if this is just due to the Empy sound signature or there is something I can do to improve this area. What's your finding mate?

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #4,934 of 5,991
Hey mate - I’m JS who you’ve been chatting with today on your FB post.

I’m not sure what’s lacking in the bottom end for you? Can you describe this more? Empy isn’t as dynamic as Utopia, low end or otherwise, but it’s bass is fuller and warmer. Are you hoping for more of a dynamic sound with your Empy?

I’ve been trying my HD800S with a friends Black Dragon cable and it’s amazing how ‘in the middle of Empy and Utopia’ it now sounds.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,935 of 5,991
Hey mate - I’m JS who you’ve been chatting with today on your FB post.

I’m not sure what’s lacking in the bottom end for you? Can you describe this more? Empy isn’t as dynamic as Utopia, low end or otherwise, but it’s bass is fuller and warmer. Are you hoping for more of a dynamic sound with your Empy?

I’ve been trying my HD800S with a friends Black Dragon cable and it’s amazing how ‘in the middle of Empy and Utopia’ it now sounds.

Hi JS... I've just been aware that you also have the same amp from your post in this thread.

What I mean by lacking is not in terms of quantity but more in terms of impact and punch. Maybe I was spoiled by Utopia's (and even LCD-X) mid-bass, and I cant help but wishing Empy's bass has tad more slam. Like I said in my FB post, I will give this cable more time, but I highly doubt I will see improvement the direction I wish for.

For the Black Dragon, if you like the sound, you should also try Cardas Clear. IMO it's better than the BD. But if you decide to go with the BD, I dont think you can go wrong. Moon-Audio cables are of great quality. I have my Silver Dragon for more than 3 years and now the cable still looks pristine. Comparing with Lazuli Ref that uses mesh sheathing material, which I can notice minor deformity in some areas with only 1 month of use (it still sounds great though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back