Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 6, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,351 of 5,977
I love that turntable. I have same one had to change out the tracking device which was fun. Though my son decided to step on it causing it to skip at the center of the records. I was moving stuff around and mistakenly put on the floor and left for work. I miss using it. If there was place that fixs them i'd send it out.

My Technics SL-1200 MK2 is stock. I have found a pretty passionate engineer/tech who takes stock 1200 turntables and does a variety of upgrades(depending on your budget)to get them to audiophile level.

I'm actually hoping to send mine out to him next year for upgrades. Even though this turntable gets looked down by some audiophiles it's actually a worthy and capable unit.

Link to the business that does the upgrades.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,352 of 5,977
My Technics SL-1200 MK2 is stock. I have found a pretty passionate engineer/tech who takes stock 1200 turntables and does a variety of upgrades(depending on your budget). To get them to audiophile level.

I'm actually hoping to send mine out to him next year for upgrades. Even though this turntable gets looked down by some audiophiles it's actually a worthy and capable unit.

Link to the business who does the upgrades.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/
It gets looked down on because it’s direct drive. I have a Pro Ject carbon which is good but I hate having to change between 45 and 33. The Technics is just so simple and fun. I’ll be contacting that company to get mine fixed.

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,353 of 5,977
The guy is less then an hour from me. Good thing I messaged you I was about to throw it out.
Thank you for the help.

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,354 of 5,977
@Pharmaboy : Yes, me too, I find the manual a tad confusing. I had always read your posts as one of the great advocates of the V281, knowing it in and out.

So maybe a little help: Looking at the block circuit diagram (page 13 in the German manual) clarified things for me. Where Pre-Gain sits and why it‘s named that way, and where the two variants of line-out are taken off, and how the line-out dip switches come in. The only additional info from the text on page 22 is that the post-fader line-out is taken from the last tap of the main volume fader.

EDIT, cf. next post: That sentence on page 22 really seems to be misleading!!!

Maybe that diagram helps. Remark: For me, that is theory only, haven‘t used line-our yet.

I can't make sense of that line diagram either. I'm borderline stupid when it comes to electronics.

Hope you get a chance to use the line outs. I've used them on my V281 since day-1. It's a truly accomplished system preamp. Great sound that way...that slight warmth, deep/impactful bass & top-notch dynamic capability comes through 100% on speakers. In fact, the V281's pre-amp outputs helped push me in the path of 2 very fine sealed 2-way speaker systems now on hand.

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #4,355 of 5,977
I can't make sense of that line diagram either. I'm borderline stupid when it comes to electronics.

Hope you get a chance to use the line outs. I've used them on my V281 since day-1. It's a truly accomplished system preamp. Great sound that way...that slight warmth, deep/impactful bass & top-notch dynamic capability comes through 100% on speakers. In fact, the V281's pre-amp outputs helped push me in the path of 2 very fine sealed 2-way speaker systems now on hand.
Are the internal switches just for pre amp section?

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #4,356 of 5,977
Are the internal switches just for pre amp section?

Per post Post #4348 of 4355 on previous pg (by @111MilesToGo), the internal dipswitches affect only the preamp outputs, not the headphone outputs; while the dipswitches on the back panel affect only the headphone outputs.

This makes sense. I recently changed the dipswitch setting on back panel (to increase gain), thinking it would affect the line outs. It didn't affect the line outs at all, but the gain on my headphone outputs increased.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,357 of 5,977
I disagree. Changing the gain settings makes a big difference to the sound signature. Higher gain produces a brighter sharper sound and the lower gain a softer, warmer, flatter sound. This is so for all the headphones I have tried with it.

Try to compare with the same loudness.

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #4,359 of 5,977
Of course I did.
If you go back over the years in this thread you will see various people noticing the same thing.

I was one of these people, until I matched the volume precisely using the same input level from the DAC :)

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #4,360 of 5,977
Per post Post #4348 of 4355 on previous pg (by @111MilesToGo), the internal dipswitches affect only the preamp outputs, not the headphone outputs; while the dipswitches on the back panel affect only the headphone outputs.

This makes sense. I recently changed the dipswitch setting on back panel (to increase gain), thinking it would affect the line outs. It didn't affect the line outs at all, but the gain on my headphone outputs increased.
Glad to help and clarify this. Great amp, beautiful sound; but the manual has room for slight improvements.

BTW 1: It is actually not 100% true that I didn‘t use the V281 line-out. Did it once for no more than a minute: Hooked up my 30-yr old Stax SR-Lambda Signature with its T1 tube amp/energizer, only to find out that I still hate this Stax for its overly bright and harsh sound after many years of not using them; loving the speed and resolution, though, but their SQ price is too high.

BTW 2: What are the speakers you were referring to a few posts back? The Wharfedale 225s as per your signature? Would like to hear more.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,361 of 5,977
Glad to help and clarify this. Great amp, beautiful sound; but the manual has room for slight improvements.

BTW 1: It is actually not 100% true that I didn‘t use the V281 line-out. Did it once for no more than a minute: Hooked up my 30-yr old Stax SR-Lambda Signature with its T1 tube amp/energizer, only to find out that I still hate this Stax for its overly bright and harsh sound after many years of not using them; loving the speed and resolution, though, but their SQ price is too high.

BTW 2: What are the speakers you were referring to a few posts back? The Wharfedale 225s as per your signature? Would like to hear more.

I've tried the V281 on 4 pairs of speakers by now. It totally kills on each/all:
  • Swan M300 MKIIs: a humble but very nice-sounding powered 2-way. I have 2 other amp/preamps, but the V281 sounds better & more expressive than either: that slight warmth, crushing bass, strong soundstaging for a SS amp & big dynamic range really come through. I upgraded after this, but the Swans are now set up w/big OLED TV & still sound good.
  • ATC SCM12 Pro: big adventure going from powered to passive. I picked up a well reviewed class D amp to do the heavy lifting. These ATCs are rather amazing--physically large sealed 2-ways w/a very large sound, jack-hammer bass, high resolution but still musical. Again, the V281 only accentuates everything that's good about the ATCs.
  • Wharfedale Diamond 225s: I was curious & they weren't much $$, even new. I liked their slightly diffuse, musical sound, and they worked well in my nearfield setup. Ultimately they didn't hold my interest like the ATCs do, so I'm selling them for cheap $$. I'm guessing these would sound even better in a trad room array (not nearfield) w/more space behind/around each speaker.
  • Aerial Acoustics 5B: just got a gently used pair of this legendary sealed 2-way. Besides being drop dead pretty, their sound is really excellent: refined, musical, lots of soundstage, even in the nearfield, and solid bass. I may end up selling these for life reasons, also because the ATCs remain the best sound I've ever heard in a nearfield array (though the 5Bs make it a horse race).
Believe me when I say the V281 is an extremely capable, good-sounding preamp. It doesn't hurt one bit that it has so much/so flexible gain adjustment capability; also that it's remote controlled; also that it's an amazingly musical headphone amp. I love my V281!

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #4,362 of 5,977
Hi guys!

Just received the last peace of my audio equipment puzzle - the PI2AES transport. I have hooked it to the Yggy A2 through AES/EBU XLR and then to the V281 with XLR cables (Grimm TPR). I can't believe how well the V281 scales with better and better source signal. I could easily hear how the sound changes even when switching the power of PI2AES from normal PSU to battery.

Although I have a problem with the loudness of the signal. PI2AES's AES output made the Yggy A2 output even louder signal through the XLRs and then the V281 outputs to the HD800S headphones also through XLR. I have switched the pre-gain on the back of the V281 to -18db. Yesterday I read around here that there is another pair of pre-gain switches inside the unit so I switched them also to -18db. Not a big change - still normal listening volume is at about 9 - 9:30 on the volume knob. Do you have some suggestions for how to improve the situation?

It's strange to me that the Yggy's output signal is with different loudness based on what digital signal it's being fed. I though digital signal shouldn't have loudness and impact the output volume of a DAC. For example, when feeding the Yggy with the optical output of a PlayStation 4 (which sounds surprisingly good by the way) the v281 is at normal listening volume when the volume knob is at about 12-13 o'clock. Also I have tried to use a very cheap RCAs for interconnects and that makes the signal quieter, but the sound quality also suffers.

So, any suggestions on how to tame the v281 beast a bit?

EDIT: Went through the latest posts on the matter, however not helped much. At least I now know the internal pre-gain switches affect the line-out only.

EDIT2: The Yggy's manual says:
Output: One pair XLR balanced and two pairs RCA single-ended
Output Impedance: 75 ohms
Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)

My interconnect XLR cables are 110 ohms, does this matter?

EDIT3: I found that there are devices called XLR attenuators. Do you have experience with them? It seems they can solve the issue. So I guess now the main question is if the v281 will sound better when listened with the pot at at least 12 o'clock and will the XLR attenuators degrade sound quality.

Example of such devices are:
JTS MA-123
Shure A15AS
Audio-Technica AT8202

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4,363 of 5,977
Hi guys!

Just received the last peace of my audio equipment puzzle - the PI2AES transport. I have hooked it to the Yggy A2 through AES/EBU XLR and then to the V281 with XLR cables (Grimm TPR). I can't believe how well the V281 scales with better and better source signal. I could easily hear how the sound changes even when switching the power of PI2AES from normal PSU to battery.

Although I have a problem with the loudness of the signal. PI2AES's AES output made the Yggy A2 output even louder signal through the XLRs and then the V281 outputs to the HD800S headphones also through XLR. I have switched the pre-gain on the back of the V281 to -18db. Yesterday I read around here that there is another pair of pre-gain switches inside the unit so I switched them also to -18db. Not a big change - still normal listening volume is at about 9 - 9:30 on the volume knob. Do you have some suggestions for how to improve the situation?

It's strange to me that the Yggy's output signal is with different loudness based on what digital signal it's being fed. I though digital signal shouldn't have loudness and impact the output volume of a DAC. For example, when feeding the Yggy with the optical output of a PlayStation 4 (which sounds surprisingly good by the way) the v281 is at normal listening volume when the volume knob is at about 12-13 o'clock. Also I have tried to use a very cheap RCAs for interconnects and that makes the signal quieter, but the sound quality also suffers.

So, any suggestions on how to tame the v281 beast a bit?

EDIT: Went through the latest posts on the matter, however not helped much. At least I now know the internal pre-gain switches affect the line-out only.

EDIT2: The Yggy's manual says:
Output: One pair XLR balanced and two pairs RCA single-ended
Output Impedance: 75 ohms
Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)

My interconnect XLR cables are 110 ohms, does this matter?

4.0V output via XLR (from Yggy) is 2X the nominal 2.0V output via RCA. Loudness of signal coming from an XLR cable is 6 dB higher than loudness of signal coming out of RCA, and this is why that happens. It's totally normal to have a hotter signal coming off XLR than RCA.

I know there are all kinds of arguments for w/staying XLR out of Yggy to XLR in on the V281. But I also remember reading more than once in this thread that XLR signal into the V281 is turned into single-ended to route through amps. Have no way to check that, but remember reading it.

If that's true (and for reason below), if I were you, I'd try a high-quality RCA interconnect from Yggy to V281. I remember comments about Yggy that it didn't sound notably superior through XLR out vs RCA, unlike some DACs (though again, could be wrong).

I've only used the RCA inputs to my V281, never XLR. And I'm getting terrific sound out of it. I could have switched to XLR, but when switching DACs in September, I decided not to because I already wrestle with system gain being high (both on preamp outs & HP outs on V281) as it is ... and doubling the voltage coming in wouldn't exactly help. Just as you describe, that would tend to overwhelm those very flexible gain controls on back & internal of V281.

Oct 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #4,364 of 5,977
You could go for the Jensen transformer PO-2XR https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/po-2xx/ and connect the XLR out of the Yggy to the Line out of the V281. That way you retain the qualities of Yggys XLR output. Yggy and GumBy definitely sound best over XLR. That "flaw" will be fixed with the new generation. Bifrost 2 already is part of that.

V281 is great on ALL inputs and it scales high indeed. I sold my GumBy to make space for a new DAC in 2020 and I have withdrawal symptoms like I never experienced before. I tested a friend's ADI-2 on it, forget about it. GumBy dynamics, staging, detail, tonality is quite superior and the V281 rewards it very much.
Had my Hifiman headphones reshelled, modded/dampened and the V281 now shows every nuance of it and proves how relevant they are still today, especially a lost and forgotten headphone like the HE-4.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,365 of 5,977
Just received my v281 today liking it very much. I was trying to find out what class of amps the v281 belongs to? I kinda think it's not class A as it runs with slightest warmth. Only which it might not be an issue is the fader as it doesn't completely fade left or right. Is that how it is or is there a problem with mine? When I fade right the right side gets louder and when I fade left it stays at same volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back