Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,336 of 5,910
So its more of a SQ thing then getting the right amount of volume like using a high low gain on other amps.
Thanks
Would like to hear your Mini vs V281 impressions once you get it.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #4,337 of 5,910
Okay that clears it up. I'll be using balanced connection only.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,338 of 5,910
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #4,339 of 5,910
I use V281 not only as a headphone amp but also as a pre-amp to a pair of powered speakers.

I just recently added a Technics SL-1200 MK2 into a Eddie Current Classic tube phono pre-amp(40db of gain) into V281's RCA inputs. It's an incredibly flexible and mighty powerful unit!

20191005_102554.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #4,340 of 5,910
1) Always go balanced with the V281 to fully utilize all 4 amps inside.

2) Start with 0db (default) and listen for a few days, acclimate to the sound, get a feel for it, dive into it. Afterwards try -12db and see how that works out for you

So what exactly is the relationship between the dipswitch arrays on the outside/back ("Pre Gain") vs the "Line Output Level" switches inside the case? I ask because when I use the Pre Gain to optimally set system gain (ie, to speakers & sub), the headphone outputs have much less volume knob rotation/play.

Should I try setting the system gain via Line Output Level (after setting headphone levels via Pre Gain)?

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #4,341 of 5,910
So what exactly is the relationship between the dipswitch arrays on the outside/back ("Pre Gain") vs the "Line Output Level" switches inside the case? I ask because when I use the Pre Gain to optimally set system gain (ie, to speakers & sub), the headphone outputs have much less volume knob rotation/play.

Should I try setting the system gain via Line Output Level (after setting headphone levels via Pre Gain)?

I could be wrong and I dont have V281 owners manual is front of me...

But I thought the rear DIP switches were for headphone outputs and the internal switches controlled the line outputs(XLR & RCA).

Edit.

Or do the internal switches control both line inputs and outputs? I need to get out my owner's manual and read up on this again.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,342 of 5,910

But I thought the rear DIP switches were for headphone outputs and the internal switches controlled the line outputs(XLR & RCA).

Edit.

Or do the internal switches control both line inputs and outputs? I need to get out my owner's manual and read up on this again.

My confusion stems from the fact that something called "Pre Gain" would presumably adjust the input voltage that goes to the amps inside, whether outputed for headphones or as Line Outs. So I assumed Pre-Gain would affect both, and it appears to do that.

But there are separate line out setting inside the case...confusing.

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,344 of 5,910
Opening the case doesn’t void warranty?

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #4,345 of 5,910
@Pharmaboy,

While not an answer to your question. Here is official text from the owner's manual regarding line-outputs.

Yes, I have the manual & have studied that section.

Frankly, it's confusing as hell (no doubt it's translated from German, and it shows).

Maybe I'm just easily confused while others easily grasp all the nuances (one never knows).

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #4,346 of 5,910
No it's about getting the right amount of volume so you don't get loud very early or run out of headroom.
SQ is the same with all gain options.
SQ is slightly different between the balanced and the single ended out with the latter being more dark.
I disagree. Changing the gain settings makes a big difference to the sound signature. Higher gain produces a brighter sharper sound and the lower gain a softer, warmer, flatter sound. This is so for all the headphones I have tried with it.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #4,347 of 5,910

Edit.

My confusion stems from the fact that something called "Pre Gain" would presumably adjust the input voltage that goes to the amps inside, whether outputed for headphones or as Line Outs. So I assumed Pre-Gain would affect both, and it appears to do that.

But there are separate line out setting inside the case...confusing.

@Pharmaboy : Yes, me too, I find the manual a tad confusing. I had always read your posts as one of the great advocates of the V281, knowing it in and out.

So maybe a little help: Looking at the block circuit diagram (page 13 in the German manual) clarified things for me. Where Pre-Gain sits and why it‘s named that way, and where the two variants of line-out are taken off, and how the line-out dip switches come in. The only additional info from the text on page 22 is that the post-fader line-out is taken from the last tap of the main volume fader.

EDIT, cf. next post: That sentence on page 22 really seems to be misleading!!!

Maybe that diagram helps. Remark: For me, that is theory only, haven‘t used line-our yet.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #4,348 of 5,910
@Pharmaboy : Yes, me too, I find the manual a tad confusing. I had always read your posts as one of the great advocates of the V281, knowing it in and out.

So maybe a little help: Looking at the block circuit diagram (page 13 in the German manual) clarified things for me. Where Pre-Gain sits and why it‘s named that way, and where the two variants of line-out are taken off, and how the line-out dip switches come in. The only additional info from the text on page 22 is that the post-fader line-out is taken from the last tap of the main volume fader.

Maybe that diagram helps. Remark: For me, that is theory only, haven‘t used line-our yet.
Continuing, but still without access to my V281:

Pre-gain (outside) DIP switches change the signal right in front of the main headphone amps. According to the block diagram, they don‘t act on the line-outs.

The line-out DIP switches (inside) act on line-out only. In pre-fader mode, nothing else acts on the line-out level, which thus is fixed level; and the block diagram names it ”fixed“.

Yes, the confusion relates to the so-called post-fader line-out mode. The block diagram reads like it is naming this ”variable“, and the text on page 21 confirms this. Post-fader means the main volume pot acts on line-out. The text on page 22 is misleading, also in German! The internal line-out DIPs do act the same in both modes.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #4,349 of 5,910
I use V281 not only as a headphone amp but also as a pre-amp to a pair of powered speakers.

I just recently added a Technics SL-1200 MK2 into a Eddie Current Classic tube phono pre-amp(40db of gain) into V281's RCA inputs. It's an incredibly flexible and might powerful unit!

I love that turntable. I have same one had to change out the tracking device which was fun. Though my son decided to step on it causing it to skip at the center of the records. I was moving stuff around and mistakenly put on the floor and left for work. I miss using it. If there was place that fixs them i'd send it out.

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #4,350 of 5,910
Continuing, but still without access to my V281:

Pre-gain (outside) DIP switches change the signal right in front of the main headphone amps. According to the block diagram, they don‘t act on the line-outs.

The line-out DIP switches (inside) act on line-out only. In pre-fader mode, nothing else acts on the line-out level, which thus is fixed level; and the block diagram names it ”fixed“.

Yes, the confusion relates to the so-called post-fader line-out mode. The block diagram reads like it is naming this ”variable“, and the text on page 21 confirms this. Post-fader means the main volume pot acts on line-out. The text on page 22 is misleading, also in German! The internal line-out DIPs do act the same in both modes.
Is this amp confusing or what? You can change switches inside and outside for better results. I’m going to be stumped reading that manual due to my Dyslexia. I hope I don’t ever need to touch the internal switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back