Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Mar 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #46 of 5,937
Have not experienced any problem with the module so far.

Everything seems to be fine with this Tenor TE8802L chip, at least on Mac OS 10.9.

No pop/click/lag. Just the relais on the V100 which works fine.

More on sound later.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #47 of 5,937
added *preliminary brochure* in the OP

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #50 of 5,937
  surprised they havent stated the power output

+1, that's THE parameter I'm interested in (assuming the basic sound sig etc will remain the same).

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #51 of 5,937
  +1, that's THE parameter I'm interested in (assuming the basic sound sig etc will remain the same).

I'm guessing somewhere around powering three to five LCD-3's in parallell.

Don't think you need to be too worried...

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #52 of 5,937
Not worried, I'm sure Vio got the design right, just VERY curious about the numbers.  Don't think we'll be seeing full-blown HE-6 driving power but let's be realistic, what headphone amplifier has the juice to drive these to the max they have to offer?  I still like them with my V200 though, so it's not a deal breaker and compared to 95% of other headphone amps (and to 99% if you discount those who get there by using stratagems that compromise on sound quality) they're plenty powerful, the HE-6 is a niche application and a very small niche at that.    It's been a long ongoing point of debate on the HE-6 thread, until recently I thought the speaker amp guys were just overdoing it.  But during a recent trip to Japan I had the opportunity to connect them to some -low power/low gain- speaker amps and as they say...I heard the sound and now I'm a believer.  

But this is OT, I'm just very curious to learn more about the specs of the new Violectric models. And to try them pout for myself of course, though I don't see an upgrade in my immediate future.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #55 of 5,937
Pretty much the same. Those lengths in mm equates to 6.7"x3.9"x8.9". Off by a few mm's. I would assume the mm lengths are more accurate and the inches were just rounded up since it's a German company.

"measurements approximately 6 3/4" x 4" x 9" or 170 x 100 x 226 mm (W x H x D)"  Vs Brochure numbers? Which dimensions are correct?

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #56 of 5,937
Nevermind. I just saw that the brochure has completely different dimensions.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #58 of 5,937
I almost snarfed my coffee when I saw this since I just placed an order for a V200/V800 combo last Friday.
Then again, despite some previous replies calling for V200's going up for sale, I did an Audiogon search for Violectric and not finding V200s for sale.

I love the sound from my Placette Passive Linestage with it's 120+ settings and have passively* been looking for a stepped attenuator that provided more than the 24 positions on a HeadAmp GS-X mk2, so kudos to Lake People for providing this as an option. That being said, I'd have a lot more trouble swallowing the price of their new products sight unseen without wanting to research more comparisons since that starts pushing into range of other highly regarded SS products such as the Auralic Taurus and HeadAmp GS-X mk2.

* - pun intended

To save costs V220 will be the base of V281.

I wonder how we should interpret this. IIRC, the balanced V181 and single-ended V200 are pretty similar, but have different output designs and power supply. So maybe this means the V281 will be a strict upgrade from the V220, where the balanced-capable V181 generally seems to be a side-grade or down-grade from the single-ended V200?

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #59 of 5,937
My advice if you paid full retail and still can (owning the same combo), if you can wait, either cancel the order or request a discount.  You'll be able to get them substantially cheaper in a couple of months.  Don't get me wrong, I like the setup but it's a simple fact that an upgrade was long due and it makes little sense to pay the full price now.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #60 of 5,937
  My advice if you paid full retail and still can (owning the same combo), if you can wait, either cancel the order or request a discount.  You'll be able to get them substantially cheaper in a couple of months.  Don't get me wrong, I like the setup but it's a simple fact that an upgrade was long due and it makes little sense to pay the full price now.

I ordered the demo model that was in the specials section of violectric-usa, so it was $250+ off list price. I somehow managed to miss comments about the USB input being subpar until today, but given the discount, I might just give it a try anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back