Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 21, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 5,937
Restrictions on amazon???  Really??  I have an account with amazon.co.uk but the same login and the same credit cards give me access to amazon.fr, .com, .de and .in.  I have'm ship things to my address in Europe as well as to India.  Only restriction I've faced is with some books for Kindle, those I can't purchase on any other site than amazon.com.  Perhaps they got so confused that they just gave up on me :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 5,937
I have an account on amazon.com and every time I want to finish any orders by filling my address, I have a message saying that it's not possible to be sent to it

It's sometime possible but only with international sellers on market place
:confused_face_2:

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 5,937
I'm honestly surprised there's so little interest in this.

The Ragnarok looks spectacular but I also know what violectric are capable of...

EDIT: maybe this thread should be moved to High-End?

I would be very interested in a blind test between the ragnarok and v281... on the HD800 please...

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 5,937
  I'm honestly surprised there's so little interest in this.

The Ragnarok looks spectacular but I also know what violectric are capable of...

EDIT: maybe this thread should be moved to High-End?

I would be very interested in a blind test between the ragnarok and v281... on the HD800 please...

I think it's simple:

- Until quite recently:  no US representation/marketing and distribution network.
- No active representation/sponsoring here on the site
- No-hype buildup nor vapourware:  Fried Reim's a terrific engineer and a straight dealer:  ask the man a question and he answers in detail and in person.  Violectric is one of the few companies who publish meaningful technical detail.  Seems elementary but just take a look at the specs he publishes and compare to others: either they omit critical information or they publish impressive looking parameters but if you look closer the figure is established in an oddball way or so that it's actually meaningless
- The present lineup is still very good but let's face it, it's become a bit outdated.  Part of this relates to the previously mentioned no BS/no vapourware remark, it's hard/foolhardy wishing to remain a virgin in a brothel. 
- Pricing:  contrary to those who proudly proclaim 'made in the US/UK' but actually only do the final assembly and have all the rest mounted in China at vastly lower cost he actually does everything in-house.  I guess I don't need to point out the wage difference between a Chinese and a German worker.  At the time of purchase I personally checked if the 'Made in Germany' part was actually true.  If you want to maintain a certain profit margin, this drives up the cost significantly (labour component is huge).

If I were him then for the new stuff I'd send my distributor over to sign a sponsorship deal/follow a couple of forums here, set up a loaner program and either boost the BS factor or stay the course and do aggressive technical comparisons with the competition.

And I'd watch those Chinese...they're the guys to beat, not just on price but increasingly also quality-wise.  Many of them produce crap but there are some that have really great products (where they found the design is sometimes a different  matter).  Audio-Gd and La Figaro come to mind here.  If for instance you take a look at the wiring in a La Figaro tube amp, look at the specs and use the product then you wonder how it's possible that some 'European' manufacturers (meaning made in China but at rock bottom prices, then sold at an enormous premium) can survive, let alone sell their stuff at 3 times the price of a DV while it's technically inferior.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 5,937
Speaking strictly of the Schitt/Vio comparison, there's virtually no China between the two of them, so I don't know what you are talking about. Just like Vio has as much done as possible in Germany, Schiit likewise sources as much as possible in the USA. Wages are probably still higher in Germany, but not nearly the delta as between there and China.

As for the previous amps, I liked them but felt they could be better for the price, even considering the wage differences. The V800 was a little disappointing, but for its age, respectable. The nearly doubling of price for the V281 before upgrades is kind of hard to take, but if the DAC performance of the addon is as good as the V800 but with usable USB now, it ends up being nearly the same price as a V800/V181 stack and the same size as well. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far on an optional DAC yet. Though you only have USB and nothing else. The only optional anything I've ever heard that was quite good was the new M-Stage HPA-2's DAC. Surprisingly good for it's $40 addon cost.

And to prove I'm not just a Schiit fanboy, I honestly haven't really liked much of their gear. Their amps have been disappointing for the most part. The Mjolnir is good value, but isn't an ultimate performance machine. I brought one in to try but sent it back. The Bifrost is probably the only unit from them I had no regrets about. Very solid sound for the money. The Gungnir started out as better, but eventually I grew to dislike it greatly.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 5,937
confused.gif
 Where did I mention Schitt in my post??  I see...the quote...ok...well...I'm not referring to Schiit, what I wrote regards mainly the Violectric products and general remarks on the market.  I'm not a big fan of their products -those I've heard, they're not so common in Europe- but that's a different matter.  Couldn't say anything about their Ragnarok as I haven't heard it.

My personal main point of criticism for the V200 is that it lacks a bit of transparency and soundstage, other than that I'm happy but we'll see how it stacks up compared to the F3 I have on order.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #22 of 5,937
Cool! This is very interesting.

But now Violectric should correct the typo in "RISC OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK", which is also printed on the rear of my V200. It's risk, not risc :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #23 of 5,937
  Cool! This is very interesting.

But now Violectric should correct the typo in "RISC OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK", which is also printed on the rear of my V200. It's risk, not risc :)

OCD much?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #25 of 5,937
Any news on power output and maximum voltage before clipping in various loads?  Curious to see the details, as I remarked earlier, at this pricing point there's some stiff competition around?  

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #26 of 5,937
Will add specs once they are clear enough. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #27 of 5,937
Ok, thanks 
popcorn.gif

btw: what's with the 'Fegefeuer' handle?  

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #29 of 5,937
Yeah, I know (I'm part German and speak the language :wink:  was just wondering why he picked it :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 5,937
  Yeah, I know (I'm part German and speak the language :wink:  was just wondering why he picked it :)

He picked it because that's what sensible people would call our current state of living.

But let's continue with the V281...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back