Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 5, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,176 of 5,977
Exactly, attenuate the positive.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #5,179 of 5,977
I've heard about your kind. But I remain non-judgmental........ At least for now
People try to put us down....just because we get get get get get around...

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5,180 of 5,977
Jun 7, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #5,181 of 5,977
….talkin’ ‘bout my amplification….🤣
I would opine further on this subject, but in reality I would only be putting up an Eminence Front.

On a less serious note, I have been using my V281 is a preamp for the last week or two with the XLR outputs set to fixed volume. I plugged my DAC into it using XLR. Soon I will plug my phono preamp into it using RCA. With both my DAC and my phono preamp having volume controls this way I'm not having double controls of volume anywhere. I now leave the V281 powered up continuously and it gets quite warm, actually hot when I'm listening but that might be a good thing for SQ. I did bypass the V281 last night and plugged my DAC directly into my stereo amplifier to see if the SQ improved. I think it did slightly but the difference has become less now that it's fully warmed up and I'm bypassing the volume control. So I think I'll keep it in my chain as it makes my system so much more versatile. I could occasionally unplug the V281 if I think there are times I need that final couple of percent clarity in the sound

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #5,183 of 5,977
Most important is using the 4-PIN XLR headphone output to make use of all 4 amplifiers inside.

Play with pregain if you want more volume control range

Use xlr from the Pegasus to the v281

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #5,184 of 5,977
Most important is using the 4-PIN XLR headphone output to make use of all 4 amplifiers inside.

Play with pregain if you want more volume control range

Use xlr from the Pegasus to the v281
Thanks. Using an iPad into Pegasus, should I set volume on iPad at highest?

Also, I noticed that there is clicking on headphones when adjusting volume. I read this is common?

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #5,188 of 5,977
Hi all,

I am excited to be expecting delivery today of a V281 to pair with my Musician Pegasus (1250 ohm output impedance) and LCD-3.

I would be grateful for some advice on recommended V281 settings.

Thx
Besides using the 4-pin XLR headphone output for best sound, I would advise you to adjust the V281's gain as needed (taking into account the Musician Pegasis' output voltage, which I can't find anywhere) using the dip switches on the back of the unit.

If you also plan to use the V281 as a preamp (it does superbly well in that role), you can also adjust the separate dipswitch array for preamp gain found inside the case.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #5,189 of 5,977
will adjusting gain change things like bass presence etc?
There has been endless speculation on this issue--audible/sonic effects of different gain settings--in this and other headphone amplifier threads.

I personally have never heard any qualitative sonic differences between different gain settings. But what I do hear are gross gain mismatches at higher gain settings--meaning the volume pot is stuck almost all the way counterclockwise, with very little "play" to adjust headphone volume.

For me at least, the primary reason to adjust gain is to push the usable volume pot "play" into the sweet spot--from ~10AM on the dial (for the most sensitive/low impedance HPs) to ~2PM on the dial (for the least sensitive/highest impedance HPs).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #5,190 of 5,977
Besides using the 4-pin XLR headphone output for best sound, I would advise you to adjust the V281's gain as needed (taking into account the Musician Pegasis' output voltage, which I can't find anywhere) using the dip switches on the back of the unit.

If you also plan to use the V281 as a preamp (it does superbly well in that role), you can also adjust the separate dipswitch array for preamp gain found inside the case.
I am using the XLR headphone output on V281, and XLR interconnects from Pegasus to V281.

Pegasus output voltage on xlr is 3.55Vrms, though I am not sure what this means in terms of selecting the most appropriate regain setting on the back of the unit.

Not planning to use V281 as a preamp into anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back