Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #5,146 of 5,932
Definitely V550.

message @ArthurPower if he still has that discount unit.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5,147 of 5,932
From initial reviews folks are saying the 550 sounds a bit more neutral? Does that mean the bass slam isn't as good as the 281?

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #5,148 of 5,932
It's a tradeoff - still slammy, just more controlled and textured than the V281's. With an Yggdrasil bass would be my smallest concern. From what I read about the LIM gaining precision, texture and clarity over the A2 while still having a good amount of that Moffat Bass I'd definitely built on top of it and use the superior technical foundation of the V5XX line to reap the benefits.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,149 of 5,932
It's a tradeoff - still slammy, just more controlled and textured than the V281's. With an Yggdrasil bass would be my smallest concern. From what I read about the LIM gaining precision, texture and clarity over the A2 while still having a good amount of that Moffat Bass I'd definitely built on top of it and use the superior technical foundation of the V5XX line to reap the benefits.
Fair enough I’m just afraid that because the LiM is more balanced and has less bass slam than the OG than pairing it with a more neutral amp would cause it to start sounding boring and less dynamic. I’m contemplating adding a Lokius to the mix to ensure that if I do need to add a little bit of a bass shelf I don’t have to sacrifice on the amp to do so.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #5,150 of 5,932
Hey guys - what's the closest to the V281 in terms of bass impact and tonality that's still in production? It would be getting paired with a Yggy LiM if anyone is wondering.

Definitely the V226, I would even say it is more musical, tubelike and euphonic, has a bigger stage, better center image, better blackground, is more detailed through all registers and is a good bit closer to neutral than the V281 (which I like alot). It has a good integrated DAC(Chronos) and fits on every desktop with its much smaller footprint.
Since it even has almost as much power as the 281 I would say this is endgame material with something like a Bifrost 2 or a Soeakris 2541 together with an Arya, Clear, LCD-X 2021 for example, and just enjoy the music and call it a day. :wink:

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,151 of 5,932
Definitely the V226, I would even say it is more musical, tubelike and euphonic, has a bigger stage, better center image, better blackground, is more detailed through all registers and is a good bit closer to neutral than the V281 (which I like alot). It has a good integrated DAC(Chronos) and fits on every desktop with its much smaller footprint.
Since it even has almost as much power as the 281 I would say this is endgame material with something like a Bifrost 2 or a Soeakris 2541 together with an Arya, Clear, LCD-X 2021 for example, and just enjoy the music and call it a day. :wink:
How do you like the bass on it? Are the dynamics similar to the 281? Doesn’t hurt that it’s cheaper :D

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,152 of 5,932
Fair enough I’m just afraid that because the LiM is more balanced and has less bass slam than the OG than pairing it with a more neutral amp would cause it to start sounding boring and less dynamic. I’m contemplating adding a Lokius to the mix to ensure that if I do need to add a little bit of a bass shelf I don’t have to sacrifice on the amp to do so.
Nothing about that combo would sound boring and less dynamic. The 550 ist still a Violectric and the LiM is defintiely still an Yggdrasil. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,153 of 5,932
How do you like the bass on it? Are the dynamics similar to the 281? Doesn’t hurt that it’s cheaper :D

Dynamics are at least as good or better (I remember how Mountains from Interstellar almost blasted of my temple on the V281 with my LCD2 - this one repeats that easily on a much harder to drive HE500). Bass is as present but better defined.
I find everything about this amp to be better than the V281 as good as it may have been. An improvement on almost all fronts.
Fried has outdone himself with this one. As I stated earlier, to this amp is instant joy(to me) with everything I threw at it so far, and gets even better with a better DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #5,155 of 5,932
$2k-$3k max is my budget.
Do you need a balanced amp? Or would S.E. do?

Just based on descriptions of its sound, I'm very interested in the Kinki Studio THR-1 amp. If this thing had a remote control, I'd already own one (held in abeyance should my V281 ever tank). The cost is downright reasonable.

Below are links to the product page and a review:

https://www.kinki-studio.com/thr-1

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/kinki-studio-vision-thr-1-review-a-gentle-giant/

It has a few operational issues (the only preamp output is XLR; gain is rather high), but I could work around those. It would even fit my cramped desktop (few really good amps can).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #5,156 of 5,932
Do you need a balanced amp? Or would S.E. do?

Just based on descriptions of its sound, I'm very interested in the Kinki Studio THR-1 amp. If this thing had a remote control, I'd already own one (held in abeyance should my V281 ever tank). The cost is downright reasonable.

Below are links to the product page and a review:

https://www.kinki-studio.com/thr-1

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/kinki-studio-vision-thr-1-review-a-gentle-giant/

It has a few operational issues (the only preamp output is XLR; gain is rather high), but I could work around those. It would even fit my cramped desktop (few really good amps can).
I have one that I bought at a discounted price for a review but I haven't unpacked yet, very busy in the past three months...

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #5,157 of 5,932
I have reviewed the 550 and now I am in the process of reviewing the 226.
Yes it is great and a touch more warm than the 550 but oh boy the 550 is end game stuff.
Yeah, by that analogy I would call the V226 "early end game" being definitely high-end but still not too expensive and more than "good enough",
ie. way above midfi in all aspects and supremely musical.
Sometimes I wish I would have just paired one with a BF2 and Arya stealth and finally stopped to smell the flowers. :)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #5,158 of 5,932
Yeah, by that analogy I would call the V226 "early end game" being defintiely high-end but still not too expensive and more than "good enough",
ie. way above midfi in all aspects and supremely musical.
Sometimes I wish I would have just paired one with a BF2 and Arya stealth and finally stopped to smell the flowers. :)
I actually use cheaper gear myself to form a baseline so that when I get the more expensive stuff I can see whether it’s better by inches or miles. Sometimes in this hobby you’re paying a fortune for very little improvement and I’m not one of those folks who likes to spend a bunch extra to get something that’s maybe 5% better than cheaper alternatives. I’ll definitely be checking out the 226.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #5,160 of 5,932
I had to read that over several times, but I think I have it now. Thanks! I do have the manual in a drawer somewhere. Seems pretty straight forward.
Press Line button. Then hold button for 2 seconds until it starts flashing. XLR is pre-fader and DIG is post fader, which is the one I want.
Now I really want to hit the buy button that MT-604. :relaxed:
I can also try it off the iFi and see if there is any notable difference. I LOVE these forums!!
I wanted to follow up my own post here. Today was my first day using the V220 as a pre-amp. Or any pre-amp for that matter.:ksc75smile:
It is working great!

I just had to double check the instructions. I understood the line-out button and setting fixed or variable output. But then I had to open the case and set line out gain via jumpers. I set it at -12Db's. I could use -6Db's, but I don't think it would get the wide rangs of volume that i have now.

Today was Laptop to Schiit Bifrost 2 to Schiit Loki EQ to V220 and line out to XDuoo MT-602. I set the 602 at 12:00 and run the V220 at about the same. With all three pieces in the chain, the Grado GH2's sound Very full and bassy. It was a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back