Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 30, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #5,131 of 5,934
<DON'T DO IT, BUDDY>

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #5,132 of 5,934
Aahahah why? :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,133 of 5,934
Aahahah why? :)
Too much power, especially balanced. It seems unlikely you could control the volume enough with IEMs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't try it.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #5,134 of 5,934
Thanks man :wink:

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #5,135 of 5,934
Try it with pregain@-12db

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #5,136 of 5,934
Too much power, especially balanced. It seems unlikely you could control the volume enough with IEMs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't try it.

The V281 does support IEMs.

Anyone tried the Violectric V281 with IEM? I'm interested especially with sensitive IEM like Campfire Audio.

Just starting at -12dB, SE outputs (or balanced, and that's ok).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #5,137 of 5,934
A lot of guys run -12 dB for headphones like HD 600. I hope you guys are not busting his chops!

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #5,138 of 5,934
One of the many things I love about this amp is its HUGE gain adjustment capabilities--separate +/- (up to) 14 dB adjustments for headphone outputs (via dipswitches on the back panel) and line-out (internal dipswitches).

I know exactly nothing about IEMs. But it seems to me that the real test of the V281 vs IEMs is with the HP output dialed down 12-14 dB.

Note that this gain adjustability will be even more effective if one's DAC is single-ended (balanced DACs often output >4 volts to the amp/preamp, which is very high)--and the DAC isn't outputting much above the nominal 2.0 volt standard for S.E. line outputs from DACs.

I still know exactly nothing about IEMS...but just had to get that off my chest.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #5,139 of 5,934
One of the many things I love about this amp is its HUGE gain adjustment capabilities--separate +/- (up to) 14 dB adjustments for headphone outputs (via dipswitches on the back panel) and line-out (internal dipswitches).

I know exactly nothing about IEMs. But it seems to me that the real test of the V281 vs IEMs is with the HP output dialed down 12-14 dB.

Note that this gain adjustability will be even more effective if one's DAC is single-ended (balanced DACs often output >4 volts to the amp/preamp, which is very high)--and the DAC isn't outputting much above the nominal 2.0 volt standard for S.E. line outputs from DACs.

I still know exactly nothing about IEMS...but just had to get that off my chest.
I remember we had a discussion about what we use for settings. You said you use -12 dB for your Ori and I said I use the same thing for my Sennheiser 600s and 800s. I think a few other guys chimed in and said they also run -12 dB.

So it seems hard to believe anybody could get a range of volume with any IEMs and I certainly wouldn't want anybody to burn up his gear or damage his hearing. I guess if you have to try it, you should try it with a throw-away pair of IEMs and the volume knob 1 click from the bottom, and don't put them in your ears until you're in the middle of a song and then do it slowly.

I know several people who became deaf from various noise sources and it's terrible, especially for audio guys. So, just be careful. The V280/281 is already a bomb with headphones. It's too easy for somebody to twist knobs in both places or miss some detail of the setup.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #5,140 of 5,934
I remember we had a discussion about what we use for settings. You said you use -12 dB for your Ori and I said I use the same thing for my Sennheiser 600s and 800s. I think a few other guys chimed in and said they also run -12 dB.

So it seems hard to believe anybody could get a range of volume with any IEMs and I certainly wouldn't want anybody to burn up his gear or damage his hearing. I guess if you have to try it, you should try it with a throw-away pair of IEMs and the volume knob 1 click from the bottom, and don't put them in your ears until you're in the middle of a song and then do it slowly.

I know several people who became deaf from various noise sources and it's terrible, especially for audio guys. So, just be careful. The V280/281 is already a bomb with headphones. It's too easy for somebody to twist knobs in both places or miss some detail of the setup.
It's been a long time since I had a DAC that output 2.0 volts or less. If I did, I wouldn't have to reduce the gain on the V281 to 12 dB (you remembered correctly).

My current DAC in the main system, for which the V281 is the main preamp/headphone amp, outputs 3.0 volts (MHDT Labs Orchid). That 50% bump over the 2.0 nominal voltage accounts for most of my gain reduction on the V281.* Perceived loudness and +/- dB are not directly/linearly related, but I suspect if I had a DAC that output 2.0 volts, I'd have the gain on the V281 set between -2 to -4 dB. Just a guess.

BTW, I will soon get the chance to test this, albeit imprecisely. I'm currently burning in a new NOS DAC that has a volume control. Just like my Orchid, it has 2 x RCA outputs and thus can slot right into my main system in place of the Orchid. I can set the output level by hand on the volume pot--which means I can certainly lower it below the Orchid's 3.0 volts output. The only problem is there is no reading of output voltage on this DAC (not sure it's available on any DAC), so it will all be guesswork. But I'll play around with it anyway.

*This also illustrates why I could never use a balanced DAC here (cabling & compatibility issues aside). Many balanced DACs will output ~2.2 volts single-ended and ~4.4 volts balanced. I don't even have to try such a DAC to know that 4.4 volts output would blow up the already high gain in my desktop system--far exceeding the V281's capacity for downwards gain adjustment. The system would be loud even at the minimum setting of the V281's 128-stepped pot & there'd be no real adjustment range there unless I wanted to blow out my ears/speakers/headphones in the process.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #5,141 of 5,934
It's been a long time since I had a DAC that output 2.0 volts or less. If I did, I wouldn't have to reduce the gain on the V281 to 12 dB (you remembered correctly).
I'm running mine V280 off my Brooklyn DAC+ and I had to back off from 0 dB or I didn't have enough range on my Sennies.

My current DAC in the main system, for which the V281 is the main preamp/headphone amp, outputs 3.0 volts (MHDT Labs Orchid). That 50% bump over the 2.0 nominal voltage accounts for most of my gain reduction on the V281.* Perceived loudness and +/- dB are not directly/linearly related, but I suspect if I had a DAC that output 2.0 volts, I'd have the gain on the V281 set between -2 to -4 dB. Just a guess.
I'll take that money- at stake is a cold Czech beer :)

BTW, I will soon get the chance to test this, albeit imprecisely. I'm currently burning in a new NOS DAC that has a volume control. Just like my Orchid, it has 2 x RCA outputs and thus can slot right into my main system in place of the Orchid. I can set the output level by hand on the volume pot--which means I can certainly lower it below the Orchid's 3.0 volts output. The only problem is there is no reading of output voltage on this DAC (not sure it's available on any DAC), so it will all be guesswork. But I'll play around with it anyway.

*This also illustrates why I could never use a balanced DAC here (cabling & compatibility issues aside). Many balanced DACs will output ~2.2 volts single-ended and ~4.4 volts balanced. I don't even have to try such a DAC to know that 4.4 volts output would blow up the already high gain in my desktop system--far exceeding the V281's capacity for downwards gain adjustment. The system would be loud even at the minimum setting of the V281's 128-stepped pot & there'd be no real adjustment range there unless I wanted to blow out my ears/speakers/headphones in the process.
Audio-gd gear also runs hotter than normal. I believe you have a few of his pieces also.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #5,142 of 5,934
Hey guys - what's the closest to the V281 in terms of bass impact and tonality that's still in production? It would be getting paired with a Yggy LiM if anyone is wondering.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #5,144 of 5,934

Users who are viewing this thread

Back