Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,996 of 5,977
I think your best bet may be to try Violectric and asking.
You can use this link, and fill out the form. https://www.violectric.de/en/technical-enquiry

I can tell you what you've already heard, keeping in mind that mine is just the 96KHz version. It plays music, but there is not much more to say about it...
I had emailed shortly after I had posted on here but thank you.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #4,997 of 5,977
Deleted

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #4,998 of 5,977
Fried replied to my email :)

Spending a few days with this amp I can say this is the sound I have been looking for, I am very happy.
I am using it with a music production DAC the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 while I wait for the Gustard X26 Pro to arrive. It already sounds amazing, such a big enveloping sound like I am in the middle of the music as it is feed to me from the outside.

I would not call it dark or smooth like I have read, to my ears I would call it correct.

Edit : I forgot to add for gaming this is the best directional imaging I have heard.
Xbox Series X > Dolby Atmos app > USB > Astro Mix amp TR > v281 > XLR > HD800 Dupont

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,999 of 5,977
I don't know if the BlasterX G6's USB is accepted by the Series X for passing through the Atmos for Headphones via USB.

Would be great to go XSX -> G6 optical through the Gustard to the v281 and should be a significant leap.

It works for the PS5, thus I am using PS5 USB -> G6 optical -> V590

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #5,000 of 5,977
I like the sound of your set up, very nice.

I know with mine in the past I did not have great vertical imaging, I knew someone was either upstairs or downstairs but I couldnt tell which one and would guess (Cold War)
The RNHP or SA-1 could not give me in sound information I needed. Now i can tell up or down and the distance they are in said room. Same goes for the horizontal positioning it is outstanding.
So pleased.

Jul 10, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #5,001 of 5,977
In a moment of madness I just pulled the trigger on a V281 Final Edition, that will arrive later next week. I probably won't use the DAC but it was the same price as the standard edition so why not?

My three DACs are Bifrost 2, Topping D70 and Chord Qutest. It will be interesting to see how they all go with it.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #5,002 of 5,977
In a moment of madness I just pulled the trigger on a V281 Final Edition, that will arrive later next week. I probably won't use the DAC but it was the same price as the standard edition so why not?

My three DACs are Bifrost 2, Topping D70 and Chord Qutest. It will be interesting to see how they all go with it.
You will be very happy I am sure. :)

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #5,003 of 5,977

Great choice. Congratulations!!
I use the 281 with the Qutest, a great combi.
The bifrost2 was also a dac I was interested in but I never had the change to try it.
Have fun with it.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #5,004 of 5,977

I love my V281, which has the 128-stepped pot & remote but no DAC. I've used it with 3 or 4 DACs, the best of which is an NOS design (MHDT Labs Orchid w/pricey NOS tube rolled into output buffer). Sound is wonderful.

I seriously doubt the V281 could manage to sound bad (or even "eh") with any source component.

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #5,005 of 5,977
I seriously doubt the V281 could manage to sound bad (or even "eh") with any source component.
Well, I currently pair my V281 with a Soekris 1541, but I have ordered a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, so I will find out how those two synergize soon. The question lingers in the back of my mind if they will work well together, or lean a little too much towards the warmer side so I am prepared to source another amp to pair with it, if it comes to that. I won't make any decisions until after I get a chance to hear the Spring 3 first hand, and I'll go from there.

The V281 I have does have the 24/96 onboard DAC - but I only tried it once. It plays music and I hear things - I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,006 of 5,977
Well, I currently pair my V281 with a Soekris 1541, but I have ordered a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, so I will find out how those two synergize soon. The question lingers in the back of my mind if they will work well together, or lean a little too much towards the warmer side so I am prepared to source another amp to pair with it, if it comes to that. I won't make any decisions until after I get a chance to hear the Spring 3 first hand, and I'll go from there.

The V281 I have does have the 24/96 onboard DAC - but I only tried it once. It plays music and I hear things - I'll leave it at that.

Stating the obvious but nevertheless: if variations in headphones are in the thousands and variations in amps are in hundreds, then variations in DACs are in tens and therefore there's no point chasing one DAC or another before one is fully done with the first two, IMHO of course...

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #5,007 of 5,977
What's everyone's opinion on the new V550 compared to the V281?

Currently deciding between the V550 and V281 Final Edition for driving the Focal Clear, Final D8000, and Fostex TH-900.
Looking to add an Abyss AB1266 and/or HE6SE in the future.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good DAC pairing with the Violetric amps?

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #5,008 of 5,977
My V281 FE has arrived and I got to play with it for a few hours last night. I have the Chord Qutest hooked up via RCA using the Qutest's 3V output, which I think is around 12dB into the V281 and the Topping D70 (original model) hooked up via XLR.

So far I have set the V281 pre-gain to -6dB with my easiest to drive headphones being the Denon D9200 and the hardest to drive being the Hifiman Sundara. I think I could even go to -12dB pre-gain to accommodate a bit more volume range for the very sensitive Denons and I might try that this weekend.

I also have the Focal Clear, Hifiman Ananda & HD650 so there is plenty to try. I use balanced cables on all my headphones.

The difference so far between the Qutest and the D70 is very obvious, with each contributing it's own particular advantages depending on the type of music and the particular headphone used. I also have the Bifrost 2 that I tried briefly but I think I'll leave that in my main speaker setup for now.

I won't comment too much yet on overall performance and sound impressions as it's way too early, other than so far so good :wink:

Oh, and I love the industrial look of this amp. It's a beast and I'm expecting some "what the hell is that?" comments when I have visitors.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #5,010 of 5,977
My V281 FE has arrived and I got to play with it for a few hours last night. I have the Chord Qutest hooked up via RCA using the Qutest's 3V output, which I think is around 12dB into the V281 and the Topping D70 (original model) hooked up via XLR.

So far I have set the V281 pre-gain to -6dB with my easiest to drive headphones being the Denon D9200 and the hardest to drive being the Hifiman Sundara. I think I could even go to -12dB pre-gain to accommodate a bit more volume range for the very sensitive Denons and I might try that this weekend.

I also have the Focal Clear, Hifiman Ananda & HD650 so there is plenty to try. I use balanced cables on all my headphones.

The difference so far between the Qutest and the D70 is very obvious, with each contributing it's own particular advantages depending on the type of music and the particular headphone used. I also have the Bifrost 2 that I tried briefly but I think I'll leave that in my main speaker setup for now.

I won't comment too much yet on overall performance and sound impressions as it's way too early, other than so far so good :wink:

Oh, and I love the industrial look of this amp. It's a beast and I'm expecting some "what the hell is that?" comments when I have visitors.
Did you try the Qutest on 2v as well? I’ve done some tests with it and found out this was the best, a bit less ‘forced’. Gain was somewhere in the middle.
Y ou have some nice headphones to try.
Good luck and have lotsvof fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back