Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 1, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,981 of 5,977
I'm also about to sell mine now on the US market, but do not know what to reasonably ask by way of pricing: It was originally purchased in 2016, in perfect working order and comes with the remote and standard volume control. It has the black face plate. Looking inside the classifieds, pricing is all over the place, so I'm kind of stumped about what a reasonable asking price ought to be. Any ideas? For the moment I am considering pricing as "negotiable," which means next to nothing to me.. lol :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I'm selling only because I want to upgrade, probably to one of the Niimbus models.

By "standard volume control" do you mean the analogue/not-stepped volume control? If yes, that's worth somewhat less than the same model w/the 128-stepped volume control + remote. That factor probably mattered more before the V281 was DQ'd.

If I were in your shoes, I'd list for ~$1750 and be willing to accept $100 less. In your favor is the fact the V281 is now unobtanium and still prized by many headphone people (and few come up F.S.)

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #4,984 of 5,977
"Dodo Quetzalcoatlused", meaning, extinct, EOL.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,985 of 5,977
^ I presumed the meaning, but wasn't clear on the actual words behind the initials. Never heard that term before, but :ok_hand:

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4,987 of 5,977
It means discontinued.

Maybe I'm the only one who uses that particular acronym. Or maybe it could also mean "Dairy Queen'd"? I probably should stop using it.
In golf, it is disqualified (signing a scorecard with an incorrect score on it)

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,989 of 5,977
DQ to me meant disqualified as well. But didn't make sense in the context of an amp, thus my interpretation. But if you're meaning Dairy Queen'd, that opens up a world of possibilities.... good and bad

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #4,990 of 5,977
It means discontinued.

Maybe I'm the only one who uses that particular acronym. Or maybe it could also mean "Dairy Queen'd"? I probably should stop using it.
Personally, I do not think you should stop using it, especially since it has just proven itself to be such an excellent conversation starter :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile:

I personally think I can live with all interpretations of "DQ," with the exception "discombobulated," at which point everything might start going haywire..

EveryCleanAidi-size_restricted.gif
FirsthandImmenseGreatargus.webp
giphy%2B%252822%2529.gif
masters-voice-gif.39651

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,991 of 5,977
Have a question on the balance control. Anyone use theirs? I know it only adds or subtracts from the R channel. What's interesting is that when I turn it a little to the R -- say 2-3 marks -- instead of the sound and imaging obviously moving more toward the R, it actually seems like the soundstage gets a bit wider but the imaging/voice still stays in the middle.

To be clear, turning it significantly to the R definitely skews the sound that way. I'm only referring to turning it a few notches.

I think I might actually prefer the bal knob turned a couple marks to the R for the expanded soundstage. What are others' experiences? Does turning the knob a bit to the R obviously skew the sound R or is your experience similar to mine? I'm trying to figure out if my R ear is actually a bit worse than my L or if it's just the particular way this balance control works.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #4,992 of 5,977
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #4,993 of 5,977
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #4,994 of 5,977
I have bought a used V281 with the 24/196 USB DAC. I do have other DAC's but I would like the Windows 10 driver to try it.
I have read it is not as good as standalone but I would like to hear it anyway.

Would anyone be as kind to show me where I can find it? I have spent a while now looking online to no avail and the seller never used the DAC so does not have the driver.

Edit : I do not know if it is the Tenor or X-Mos chipset that is installed.

Fingers crossed, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,995 of 5,977
I think your best bet may be to try Violectric and asking.
You can use this link, and fill out the form. https://www.violectric.de/en/technical-enquiry

I can tell you what you've already heard, keeping in mind that mine is just the 96KHz version. It plays music, but there is not much more to say about it...

Also, if you do have the 24/192 version I think it will still be recognized by Windows as a USB 1.1 or 2.0 audio device, only limited to 96KHz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back