Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #5,026 of 5,977
The Violectric vast product range of headphone amps is getting even bigger, frankly that is a bad move from marketing point of view and even more confusing than 6 months ago when I dropped the idea of getting one because I couldn't decide on which one - and got a pass labs instead! They only have one model since the launch in 2015, but it's a well sorted flagship item. I think I'm done with amps for the next decade! 😺
I liked the Pass a lot but it was a bit syrupy for my tastes. The V281 on the other hand has a similar organic sound but blends in transparency and musicality that I couldn't hear with any other amps that I tried. That said, the build quality and aesthetics of the pass are really second to none. I'm sure it will serve you for a long time :)

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #5,027 of 5,977
My V281 FE has arrived and I got to play with it for a few hours last night. I have the Chord Qutest hooked up via RCA using the Qutest's 3V output, which I think is around 12dB into the V281 and the Topping D70 (original model) hooked up via XLR.

So far I have set the V281 pre-gain to -6dB with my easiest to drive headphones being the Denon D9200 and the hardest to drive being the Hifiman Sundara. I think I could even go to -12dB pre-gain to accommodate a bit more volume range for the very sensitive Denons and I might try that this weekend.

I also have the Focal Clear, Hifiman Ananda & HD650 so there is plenty to try. I use balanced cables on all my headphones.

The difference so far between the Qutest and the D70 is very obvious, with each contributing it's own particular advantages depending on the type of music and the particular headphone used. I also have the Bifrost 2 that I tried briefly but I think I'll leave that in my main speaker setup for now.

I won't comment too much yet on overall performance and sound impressions as it's way too early, other than so far so good :wink:

Oh, and I love the industrial look of this amp. It's a beast and I'm expecting some "what the hell is that?" comments when I have visitors.
Have you notice an improvement in sound with this amp and the 9200s? Most people in it's thread use cheap amps with them, but other have noticed that they scale. I don't know if I will notice a considerable improvement with a Vio amp (I'm using now an Asus Xonar Essence One and I'm considering to change it soon).

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #5,028 of 5,977
The Violectric vast product range of headphone amps is getting even bigger, frankly that is a bad move from marketing point of view and even more confusing than 6 months ago when I dropped the idea of getting one because I couldn't decide on which one - and got a pass labs instead! They only have one model since the launch in 2015, but it's a well sorted flagship item. I think I'm done with amps for the next decade! 😺
The prior product range had more models, but the current product range has essentially only 2 models -- the 340 and the 550. Both are available w/DACs as separate models but still not too hard to figure out.

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #5,029 of 5,977
Have you notice an improvement in sound with this amp and the 9200s? Most people in it's thread use cheap amps with them, but other have noticed that they scale. I don't know if I will notice a considerable improvement with a Vio amp (I'm using now an Asus Xonar Essence One and I'm considering to change it soon).
IMHO the D9200 may improve with better amplification slightly, but not to extend as other headphones do - they sound fabulous on almost everything! Even on my ZEN DAC or Hiby R3 Pro Sabre they can unfold many of their qualities already.
On the V281 I rarely use them, but that is rather a matter of indiviual preference due to the minor smoothening of the bass frequencies by the Violectric, maybe the newer upstream models might do this a little different. I personally prefer the D9200 the most on the Questyle CMA 400i.
Other than that the V281 is still a great amp to use.

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #5,030 of 5,977
At this point I am now wondering to myself what the heck would I even look at as an upgrade from the V281?
I've ordered a v550 - time will tell.

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #5,032 of 5,977
Greetings all. First post on this particular thread. Purchased a V281 FE a month ago or so. Before I purchased this I thought I would be using one set of components for my stereo room and one set for my headphone station. I knew I needed a really good preamp with balanced XLR in and out for my stereo room. But I also wanted a really good headphone amp. The V281 has been terrific at each task. Having adjustable gains for headphone and XLR outputs is a real plus. A couple of days ago I purchased an Ether 2 online with a 10-ft balanced cable. That cable reaches to my regular listening location in my stereo room. I have remotes for everything. If I knew how good the V281 was as a do-it-all component, I would have purchased one years ago. Only thing I don't see using is the built-in dac, but it doesn't hurt anything to have it there

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #5,033 of 5,977
Hi everyone, I'm considering getting one of these units soon and had a few questions:
- I'm planning to use it to drive hard to drive cans (Susvaras, maybe LCD-5s). I've read varying reports on whether they are powerful enough to drive those, but i think they are. Can someone confirm?
- Except for the lack of preamp, are there other differences between the V280 and the V281? Is the V281 more powerful/better for hard to drive cans?
- Do these get hot during operation? I have an amp right now that gets super hot during playback and it annoys me.

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #5,034 of 5,977
I tried it with the Susvara and yes it will power them but not to the fullest of there capability. My favorite headphone with the V281 was the Meze Empyrean made it have great speed with authoritative impact with the headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #5,035 of 5,977
I tried it with the Susvara and yes it will power them but not to the fullest of there capability. My favorite headphone with the V281 was the Meze Empyrean made it have great speed with authoritative impact with the headphone.
Thanks for confirming. Do you know a similarly priced/sized amp that would work with the Susvaras?

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #5,036 of 5,977
Hi everyone, I'm considering getting one of these units soon and had a few questions:
- I'm planning to use it to drive hard to drive cans (Susvaras, maybe LCD-5s). I've read varying reports on whether they are powerful enough to drive those, but i think they are. Can someone confirm?
- Except for the lack of preamp, are there other differences between the V280 and the V281? Is the V281 more powerful/better for hard to drive cans?
- Do these get hot during operation? I have an amp right now that gets super hot during playback and it annoys me.

Thanks!
My V281 handles every headphone I own or tried here with great ease. Then again, the Susvara is one of the very few headphones (HFM HE6/SE; big Abyss; Susvara) that really benefit from a mega amp, one having greater power than the very powerful V281.

My hardest to drive headphone is the ZMF Ori (a very extensive/creative Fostex mod); that's a true power hog, but it lights up like a Christmas tree on the V281.

Your other questions:
  • Main differences between V280 & V281 are:
    • V281's bigger case
    • V281's bigger/stronger power supply
    • V281's extensive gain adjustment, separate for headphones (external dip switches) vs preamp/line out (internal dipswitches)
    • V281 models included those that are remote controlled + non-stepped Alps pot; or remote controlled + 128-step pot (mine is the latter)
    • The V281 is a superb preamp, in a class by itself...I don't believe the V280 can be operated as a preamp, at least not without changing internal settings that may preclude its use as a HP amp (would have to check the manual to verify that). In any case, the V280 cannot be remote controlled
  • The V281 never gets noticeably hot
Note about sound: IMO the V281 represents the peak expression of the Lake People/Violectric "house sound," solid state sound done perfectly well: very deep, hard hitting bass; big, expressive midrange; musical, flowing musical treble, not enhanced or edgy at all; more than enough resolution, but not SOTA resolution (a good thing in my view); spectacular dynamics overall; and spectacular soundstaging overall.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #5,037 of 5,977
My V281 handles every headphone I own or tried here with great ease. Then again, the Susvara is one of the very few headphones (HFM HE6/SE; big Abyss; Susvara) that really benefit from a mega amp, one having greater power than the very powerful V281.

My hardest to drive headphone is the ZMF Ori (a very extensive/creative Fostex mod); that's a true power hog, but it lights up like a Christmas tree on the V281.

Your other questions:
  • Main differences between V280 & V281 are:
    • V281's bigger case
    • V281's bigger/stronger power supply
    • V281's extensive gain adjustment, separate for headphones (external dip switches) vs preamp/line out (internal dipswitches)
    • V281 models included those that are remote controlled + non-stepped Alps pot; or remote controlled + 128-step pot (mine is the latter)
    • The V281 is a superb preamp, in a class by itself...I don't believe the V280 can be operated as a preamp, at least not without changing internal settings that may preclude its use as a HP amp (would have to check the manual to verify that). In any case, the V280 cannot be remote controlled
  • The V281 never gets noticeably hot
Note about sound: IMO the V281 represents the peak expression of the Lake People/Violectric "house sound," solid state sound done perfectly well: very deep, hard hitting bass; big, expressive midrange; musical, flowing musical treble, not enhanced or edgy at all; more than enough resolution, but not SOTA resolution (a good thing in my view); spectacular dynamics overall; and spectacular soundstaging overall.
Thanks so much for all this info, very helpful. TBH I would go for a V550/Niimbus if I could but I'm looking not to break the bank and the V280/281 can be had for a bargain, esp. used. Sounds like the 281 is better equipped for the Suvaras, will go that route.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #5,038 of 5,977

Thanks!
FWIW I've been using a 281 to drive Abyss TCs and it's been very enjoyable. I agree with above post, V281 has a special signature that is always firmly in the 'musical' side of the spectrum. It's a great amp, esp at current used prices.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #5,039 of 5,977
FWIW I've been using a 281 to drive Abyss TCs and it's been very enjoyable. I agree with above post, V281 has a special signature that is always firmly in the 'musical' side of the spectrum. It's a great amp, esp at current used prices.
Thanks. I researched and researched and it seems to be the best bang for buck right now when it comes to amps for hungry HPs. My other two options are the Soundaware P1 and the Kinki THR-1 but they have gotten very few reviews and they're hard to find.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #5,040 of 5,977
Thanks. I researched and researched and it seems to be the best bang for buck right now when it comes to amps for hungry HPs. My other two options are the Soundaware P1 and the Kinki THR-1 but they have gotten very few reviews and they're hard to find.
I got very interested in the Kinki THR-1, based on reviews/comments about its power & sound--and the price is right. What killed it for me was:
  • No remote (I need a remote if using as preamp, which I would want to do); and
  • Preamp out is balanced only. Not a complete dealbreaker, but would need to spend more $ to get 2 adapters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back