Violectric DAC V850 - General Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #527 of 588
https://drop.com/buy/violectric-v850-dac

V850 available for pre-order at Drop. Retail at $1099. Wow good deal !
I’m very likely to join this drop, placed the order for the V280 Monday. Hope some more people jump on this drop so it can ship. 6/10 are filled now myself would make 7. Arthur has said the DAC will never be sold this cheaply again.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #528 of 588
I’m very likely to join this drop, placed the order for the V280 Monday. Hope some more people jump on this drop so it can ship. 6/10 are filled now myself would make 7. Arthur has said the DAC will never be sold this cheaply again.

It's a great DAC and if you already have the V280 then you know the synegy will play well with a sibling Vioelectric product.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #529 of 588
I’ve been searching for a fair priced V850 for a few months now.
now drop has a nice offer but I live in Europe and my queen wants a bit of my wallet when I buy something for my hobby. So it will bribg me back about €250-300 with this offer.
Now my dealer made me a very attempting offer.
A Chord Qutest!
I’ve heard the Chords before, Dave, Hugo and I was very impressed. Also by the price. The biggest con imho. Ugly/not pretty also but...
So I think I go for this one, I can’t wait forever 😉
I never heard the V850 live but I thought it looks nice with the 280 and 281.
Is one of you familiar with these amps with the Qutest?

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #530 of 588
I’ve been searching for a fair priced V850 for a few months now.
now drop has a nice offer but I live in Europe and my queen wants a bit of my wallet when I buy something for my hobby. So it will bribg me back about €250-300 with this offer.
Now my dealer made me a very attempting offer.
A Chord Qutest!
I’ve heard the Chords before, Dave, Hugo and I was very impressed. Also by the price. The biggest con imho. Ugly/not pretty also but...
So I think I go for this one, I can’t wait forever 😉
I never heard the V850 live but I thought it looks nice with the 280 and 281.
Is one of you familiar with these amps with the Qutest?
Sorry, wrong thread.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #533 of 588
Have been reading some other threads in head fi about R2R ladder DACs. Most head-fiers claimed their Metrum Oynx, Holo Spring or Denefrips Pontus sounds more organic, natural, relaxed and smooth vs similar price-range delta-sigma DACs. I have not heard any of them but am curious. Will be keen to hear from any existing Violectric owners if they have compared between their DACs or DHAs against R2R and their impressions. Thanks.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #534 of 588
Have been reading some other threads in head fi about R2R ladder DACs. Most head-fiers claimed their Metrum Oynx, Holo Spring or Denefrips Pontus sounds more organic, natural, relaxed and smooth vs similar price-range delta-sigma DACs. I have not heard any of them but am curious. Will be keen to hear from any existing Violectric owners if they have compared between their DACs or DHAs against R2R and their impressions. Thanks.
Holo spring is the best thing ever :D

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #535 of 588
I have a low end R2R, I like it very much. The transients are superb- shimmering cymbals, snare drums. Everybody should probably have a selection of chipdacs, R2R, fpga etc. in their arsenal.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #536 of 588
I have a low end R2R, I like it very much. The transients are superb- shimmering cymbals, snare drums. Everybody should probably have a selection of chipdacs, R2R, fpga etc. in their arsenal.
Well, that is if money is no object.😉

In the meantime, I remain very happy with the V850 coupled with the RS05. I strongly believe in the resampling function (present in V850) in effectively eliminating jitter. Of course RS05 will bring it up a notch with the Femto clock.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #537 of 588
The V850 apparently is no longer in production. Any news about its successor ? Looks like Vio is focusing more on rolling out HPA and DHA models; think they should also have dedicated dacs in their range at some point.

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #538 of 588
Good day, is there a way to tell which kind of v850 you have? Coz IIRC there was a 96k Hz and a 192k Hz through usb version right? I think there was even an X-Mos version out. Thank you kindly.

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #539 of 588
Good day, is there a way to tell which kind of v850 you have? Coz IIRC there was a 96k Hz and a 192k Hz through usb version right? I think there was even an X-Mos version out. Thank you kindly.
If you open the case you will see the chips on the corresponding PCB.
Tenor TE8802 is 192 kHz, XMOS is 192 kHz too.
Tenor TE7022 is 96 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back