Vintage Pioneer thread
Feb 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #136 of 272
Quote:
just got a monitor 10 ii in nice condition!

much lighter than the monitor 10, range extends a little farther on both ends

The design of the 10R was taken from the mark II version of the Monitor 10. Thanks, I have always wondered how the mark II would look...

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #137 of 272
Is there anything better then vintage pioneer?

I have some Se-l40s but they are in bad condition (one driver is dead :frowning2:  ) and replaced the drivers with some others and changed the plug (and made them a y-cable.

My brother snagged himself a good find the other day, a pioneer zippo lighter. I'm very jealous haha

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #138 of 272
so has anyone come up with alternatives or diy solutions for the monitor 10 pads? i've got the itch to buy and recable another pair and am pretty sure the pads will need to be replaced on whatever pair i find.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #139 of 272
so has anyone come up with alternatives or diy solutions for the monitor 10 pads? i've got the itch to buy and recable another pair and am pretty sure the pads will need to be replaced on whatever pair i find.

there is a lambskin leather mod out there. should be able to find it at the search bar here. other option is the SE-XXX line-up used about the same shape/size pads and used the same cushion inserts. you can get something like a good condition se-305 very cheap and use it as spare parts if you like. i really liked the pioneer monitor 10 when i had them. i found nothing wrong with their top-end and bass extension. the monitor 10's like more power then their sensitivity says though but makes sense since the pioneers from what i understood used aluminum voice coils for more power input handling on live-field situations.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #141 of 272
I've not been into vintage Pioneer before, but I just now got a pair that isn't talked about much, the SE-90D:

Not a very ritzy picture, but it's past midnight and I don't have a lot of desk space to shoot either, so.

Some specs and better pics here, and also of what appears to be the SE-90D II here – I'm not sure what the difference is driver-wise between those two versions. My pair is missing the cool golden rings on the backside.:frowning2: There's some extra info on the related models and the driver design here if you scroll down the page.

What got my attention was the listed frequency range: 4-50000 Hz. I don't think I've seen a range that silly for any other pair of mid 80s dynamic phones...

The sound wasn't terribly impressive with the original pads, though they're dead flat and I'm not sure if that's how they were originally. With a pair of pads off an HOK 80 and some blu-tack stuffed inside the cups for extra mass (these are almost closed phones), the sound is a lot better, and actually pretty decent for such a light-weight pair of old phones. The treble's a bit... strange, though.

I can't properly measure on-ear phones, but from the graph I did measure (with the HOK 80 pads), the SE-90D seem reasonably neutral, only with a dip at 2.6 kHz or so that makes the sound a slight bit recessed. They definitely don't go down to 4 Hz, though, not with these pads anyway.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #142 of 272
They look awesome vid!

Haha I wonder where Beats got their design from?
rolleyes.gif

I think we can thank the 80s for that range haha

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #144 of 272
I picked up my pioneers a couple weeks ago. In superb condition plus the manual. I can say the sound is better than i expected. After reading reviews on them, i was expecting them to sound like crap, but they actually sounded good enough. I only picked them up for $75 bucks. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #145 of 272
double.

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #146 of 272
Quote:

Titanium coated diaphragms, once the premium offering by some headphone manufacturers, now only promoted by Koss and Ultrasone.

Made a quick comparison between the SE-90D and the KOSS KSC75. The KSC75 sound a bit more refined while the SE-90D are a bit quicker and somewhat more forward. I prefer the 90D, but there's not a big difference – with some bass boost, the 90D are pretty entertaining for faster-paced electronica, like hard nrg. The 90D seem easier to drive than the KSC75.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #148 of 272
Umm, Hi, im kinda new here, but maybe this thread might know...
I have a pair of SE-205's im in the process of resto-modding.  I plan to do a full recabling and interior sound deadening, but the comfort currently is not good, as the pads are flat as a pancake.  would it be possible to swap out a currently available pad from another headphone? and if so, is there any options with velour?  thought that the beyerdynamic pads might fit these, but i dont own a pair to try.
any help is appreciated, and cheers.  
atsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #149 of 272
Hi,

I'm new here too and looking for the same, ear cushions but for the old Monitor 10. Did anyone here replace them with something easy to find online ? I've seen the home made lambskin cushions there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402849/new-lambskin-leather-pads-for-the-pioneer-monitor-10 but I wouldn't know where to start to build some myself.

Thanks for any hint !

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #150 of 272
In the end I tried with AKG 240 spares and they fit rather well (on the Monitor 10). Just had to tape them for a few hours so that they stay in the correct shape while the glue sets in.

In case that could help someone else :)

I have pictures but not enough posts to be able to post them, so maybe later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back