Vintage headphones: what is/not worth getting?
Mar 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
So, there's been some talk about vintage headphones around, and apparently, there are some gems that have been discovered by the head-fi community.

My question is this: are there ones that are known to be good or bad?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 11
What do you mean by vintage?

AKG K240 Sextett is good with minimal reconditioning (new elastics and possibly new pads).
AKG K340 is pretty good, but IMO much improved with full mods. A stock pair sounded a little funky to me.
Beyerdynamic DT48 seems to have a pretty vocal fanbase.

I'm sure there are heaps of bad ones, like the Pioneer SE-50.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
There are plenty of great vintage headphones (orthos), but the majority (not all though) of vintage dynamics aren't close to modern headphones. There are gems though (Monitor 10 for example). I like vintage headphones for their design, and then I just gut them and put in new drivers.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AKG K240 Sextett is good with minimal reconditioning (new elastics and possibly new pads).
AKG K340 is pretty good, but IMO much improved with full mods. A stock pair sounded a little funky to me.

DT48
DT480
AKG 140
AKG141
Pioneer 10
K240 Sextett
K340
K290
Yamaha Ortho's.. Too many to name

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 11
nah, stay away from vintage phones. They're just way outdated. Especially that sexytett. horrible mids meh
tongue.gif
What you want is some nice new triports

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah, stay away from vintage phones. They're just way outdated. Especially that sexytett. horrible mids meh
tongue.gif
What you want is some nice new triports

Wait for the HD drivers. The Sextett mid range is almost as good as sex. Incredible for such a cheap headphone.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 11
they wan't be cheap forever - just wait till all Sextets produced will be in head-fi'ers hands
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO EVERY vintage 240 is worth buying - K240 Sextets, K240DF, K240M - they are all great headphones. Plus- they aren't so hard to gat as, for example, Yamahas orthos.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

I don't know anything about the SE-50 but the SE-30 model is phenominal!! I use them to make mixes for class and the mixes I make with them sound awesome.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 11
Something makes me laugh about that. The SE-30's are not good reference phones nor are they good listening phones. They sound pretty awful when compared to my Beyer 880's.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know anything about the SE-50 but the SE-30 model is phenominal!! I use them to make mixes for class and the mixes I make with them sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back