Vintage Grado RS1 recabled *OR* New Grado RS1i... Which would you buy? (Poll / Comment)
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mistertaz

New Head-Fier
Hi!

There seems to be a lot of discussion regarding the differences between the vintage Grado RS1 and the new Grado RS1i, and from all the threads I've read, the general consensus is that the vintage ones are slightly more mid-centric and a little more coloured, but the new ones have newer drivers which are slightly more refined and have a wider (perceived) bandwidth / frequency response.

People also seem to think that recabling the RS1 (usually with Moon Audio cables) seems to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Given that both upgrades are usually (perhaps excessively) enthusiastically endorsed by the respective owners, which one would likely be a better option? Anyone with actual experience regarding the two?

Thanks for any opinions! :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
It depends on which vintage RS1, there are a few.  You'll have to be more specific. 

Don't start.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 10
I am really loving my RS1is...damn do they need lengthy break-in though.  Not to sound like a broken record but they get stringed instruments perfect.  I don't have any vintage ones to compare to so I'm not helpful there. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Heh... Preferably the easier to find vintages. Perhaps the late buttoned or unbuttoned ones?

In my opinion those are not vintage and not better the RS1i.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 10
The "vintage" RS1 that most people mention will often cost into the $1k realm. Those are the true vintage and not the "older" RS1 like the unbuttoned ones. At that price though, unless you're a really big fan of Grado headphones, many other current offerings might be a better choice.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
The "vintage" RS1 that most people mention will often cost into the $1k realm. Those are the true vintage and not the "older" RS1 like the unbuttoned ones. At that price though, unless you're a really big fan of Grado headphones, many other current offerings might be a better choice.

Not to worry. I haven't seen a pair of true vintage RS1 for sale anywhere for a long long time. It is not a choice anyone has to make.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back