Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Oct 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #946 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't let the Anti-EQ Gods strike me down but I Like to EQ my cans a bit. As I sit here typing, I'm listening to my FX500's straight out my 80 gb Ipod video with the "Loudness" EQ setting. If I run them "Flat" or with the EQ off, they are quite flat and lifeless, with Muddy uncontrolled bass, forward mids, sibilant highs. I have many different IEMs and full sized cans, so EQ'ing is the only way I can get away without thousands of dollars in amps.

agreed, but i ahve some trouble finding a mini eq device, i hate big recievers and virtually all the headamps in cluding the ones i own do not eq,,,, im trying to get good eq software, but id also reallk like to get the hardware to do it myself and the icing on the cake would be a remote, sadly i have not found a small enough device....like size of a regular head amp...........................but a little eq is good, not everyone has robot ears and i usually like to eg the treble down a bit...

gear: Kos Pros4AAA, Denon 7000 audio technica ha25d amp/dac
triplefi 10vi, rsa predator amp/dac

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #947 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAHAHA!! I am a recovering Speaker Whore, meaning I used to put my face in the loudspeakers which banged out like 120 dB at rock and techno concerts and my hearing is fine. Once i even sat in a carpeted bass cabinet for like an hour and a half. Thats how I got addicted to bass. Thats why I absolutely adore these phones... they sub-woof. That's also why I'm interested in those SONY FX700 cuz they go down to 4 Hz if I read their specs right.

do they have more bass sub woofer than the ultimate ears superfi 5 eb,,
if they do ill buy them , but i still havent found a iem with more bass than my favorite ue superfi 5 eb.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #948 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do they have more bass sub woofer than the ultimate ears superfi 5 eb,,
if they do ill buy them , but i still havent found a iem with more bass than my favorite ue superfi 5 eb.

I haven't tried the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 EB so someone else will have to weigh in on this issue. I'm curious to know how the HP-FX500 stack up against these for 'sub-woofer-ey-ness' as well...

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #950 of 1,087
The FX500 are not the bassiest headphones ever made. But, they are extremely good at producing bass. The best bass I have ever heard, that really does go lower than ANY IEM I have ever heard.

There are extremely bassy on my A829 with ClearBass at +3. The bass can overpower the music, which is obviously too much bass.

After owning the 5EB for a while, I wasn't impressed with their bass at all.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #951 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FX500 are not the bassiest headphones ever made. But, they are extremely good at producing bass. The best bass I have ever heard, that really does go lower than ANY IEM I have ever heard.

There are extremely bassy on my A829 with ClearBass at +3. The bass can overpower the music, which is obviously too much bass.

After owning the 5EB for a while, I wasn't impressed with their bass at all.

"After owning the 5EB for a while, I wasn't impressed with their bass at all" meaning: the 5EB? or the HP-FX500?? Just trying to clear up what to my mind is an undefined statement.

OH and if anybody NEEDS more bass than the HP-FX500, and doesnt mind a "Romantic Disco Club feel" then look to the Altec Lansic MHP136 MUXZ hardwood phone. With the HiFiMAN/Head-Direct RE's Silicone BiFlange filters and Tips... (those improve it a LOT over stock config to my Ear). And you can have a Bass Headache whenever you want!

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #952 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you mean better bass, you mean the quantity, not the quality right?

Well the quantity is definitely not there....honestly, I read through all the pages of this thread before buying these and I was expecting to be WOWed by the bass. There's no issue with the music quality (mostly 256k-320k, CD ripped) or the player (Sony X1000 and Sony S638 with bass up to level 3).

I'm hoping with 50-75 hours of burn-in this will change...but so far these have underwhelmed me to say the least.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #953 of 1,087
^ You really should qualify your statement with a much needed "in my opinion" because your experience just doesn't accord with the impressions of the majority of those who have posted in this thread. If the FX500's don't provide you with sufficient bass quantity, then you might have a bad seal.

If seal isn't a problem, then maybe you should forget about IEMs altogether and consider full-sized headphones as I doubt that any of the IEMs currently available would satisfy your need for bass. Perhaps you could try strapping a subwoofer to your head.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #954 of 1,087
Yeah, it could easily (and most likely) a bad seal.

Try this:

Use a track in which that you know there's deep sub 60Hz Bass.
Place the FX-500's in your ear and if you don't think there's enough bass, re-adjust them again and play that same section of the song over again until you get the deep bass.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #955 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"After owning the 5EB for a while, I wasn't impressed with their bass at all" meaning: the 5EB? or the HP-FX500?? Just trying to clear up what to my mind is an undefined statement.

OH and if anybody NEEDS more bass than the HP-FX500, and doesnt mind a "Romantic Disco Club feel" then look to the Altec Lansic MHP136 MUXZ hardwood phone. With the HiFiMAN/Head-Direct RE's Silicone BiFlange filters and Tips... (those improve it a LOT over stock config to my Ear). And you can have a Bass Headache whenever you want!

The 5EB. Didn't think they had much bass, but then again this was straight out of an iPod Touch.

The rest of the soundstage was pretty horrible as well. I would say the FX500 are much, much better.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #956 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You really should qualify your statement with a much needed "in my opinion" because your experience just doesn't accord with the impressions of the majority of those who have posted in this thread. If the FX500's don't provide you with sufficient bass quantity, then you might have a bad seal.

If seal isn't a problem, then maybe you should forget about IEMs altogether and consider full-sized headphones as I doubt that any of the IEMs currently available would satisfy your need for bass. Perhaps you could try strapping a subwoofer to your head.

Well to be honest, the seal honestly seems more than fine - but to be sure, I'm going to order a set of those silicone replacements from Sony tomorrow and try those just in case. Hopefully that'll improve the listening quality!
L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #957 of 1,087
^^what phones are you coming from?i dont know man,but the fx500 bass can sometimes be too much and they certainly dont lack in this department.also do you wear them over the ear or cables down?

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #958 of 1,087
Hi,for low freq bass,like some have recommended on here,try Daft Punk's 'Human After All'.At least on Television Rules the Nation' & 'Emotion',there some decent low freq bass.Not the bump bump,the underlying sustained stuff.Bump Bump pretty decent as well
dt880smile.png
.If a headphone dosn't really do low bass,you will prob not even hear it.
Havn't got a clue what album it was,but once out walking,heard some bass & thought what the hell was that,low,loud & fairly long
dt880smile.png
,it made me jump.
First use of FX500's too much bass & too flabby etc.Gets a lot better thou
dt880smile.png
,fortunately.

Cheers BOB

ps O there not like some headphones,that can be nearly all bass & not much more of anything else.Which i suppose will affect how you interpretate the overall sound signature.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #959 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to be honest, the seal honestly seems more than fine - but to be sure, I'm going to order a set of those silicone replacements from Sony tomorrow and try those just in case. Hopefully that'll improve the listening quality!
L3000.gif

Don't do that. Order some silicone earcushions from Koss. They are far more suited to the FX500's than the Sony Hybrids.

http://www.koss.com/koss/baskets.nsf...ilconeCushions

Anyway, I am pretty sure you are getting a bad seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back