Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Jul 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #273 of 1,087
After 70-80 hours burn-in:

Wow, these things transform with burn in.
If there was one word to describe the sound it is: natural.
That being the guitars, acoustic or electric and the drums sounds so good.
One big reasons why i think this is is because of them being woodies. It used birch, which well, is also often used in guitars and drums.

The bass is far less boomy than it is straight from the box.
The difference between 'natural bass' like bass guitar and drum bass versus synthetic bass like in electronic bass = noticeable tbh. The bass with the natural instruments sounds deeper and better tbh.

These do benefit from being amped. It sounds much more full sounding and fun without any loss in detail.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #274 of 1,087
Can you guys explain how the top end sounds? I'm considering these but if they don't have that extended sparkle and crispness, I'll have to look elsewhere.

The harshness concerns me a bit, my ears are very sensitive to certain frequencies that gives me headaches.

Midbass? Dynamic, punchy, laid back, or somewhat lost with the weighted bottom end perhaps?

Sorry for the questions...

Thanks Neil.

regular_smile .gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #275 of 1,087
Neeley-
I hear a fantastically extended top end, especially for a dynamic. It's been compared to the ADDIEM dual driver BA phone and found to be more detailed, which is amazing for a dynamic. The IE8 is not so extended in the treble... On some stuff, there can be a hint of harshness, but I just tick the treble band down one notch on the X, and that does it nicely. Mid bass to me is tight and controlled. By comparison when going back to the IE8's I hear that mid bass bloat many have mentioned. The lowest extension is simply stunning. It reaches lower than the IE8, and is more controlled to boot. So when listening you don't hear any exaggerated bass if the music doesn't have it, but when something is truly gut shakingly low in the recording, the FX500's really make you notice.

Hope that helped.....

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #277 of 1,087
Woot, finally received these this morning! I confirm the general no burn in impressions--great bass extension, great treble extension, great clarity and instrument separation, everything upper mids (maybe even mid mids) and above has a harsh edge, cymbal crashes hurt, kind of fatiguing as a result. I don't doubt that the negatives I mentioned should be the most changed by burn in, which I will commence right away!

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #279 of 1,087
I am ready to pull the trigger on buying a pair of the 500's. Is Seyo-shop still the best place to buy these? I also am going to buy the Sony hybrid silicone tips for these from ebay. Thanks for your recommendations.

Joe

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #280 of 1,087
cpk-
You'll have the best combination with those Hybrid tips. I believe seyo is pretty much the best deal going too... so yes on both counts! Post updates after you've received them.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #282 of 1,087
After reading through this entire thread and being so impressed by the JVC HP-FX300s, I decided to bite the bullet over at SEYO. Now the wait begins. Thanks for nothing Head-Fi. :|

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #283 of 1,087
After exactly 30 hours of burn in, these sound noticeably better. The harshness in the upper mids has receded to just the highs, but to be honest, they are not quite as sibilant as I was expecting them to be (which is a good thing for me). Also, the mids are not really that recessed IMO, just the bass is so present that it may feel that way given certain songs, but then again, everything is relative, eh? Oh yeah, an amp definitely helps with the mid range recession (duh! I have them plugged into my starving student right now!) so I guess my previous statement is more applicable to an amped situation. I am not a fan of the FX-500 and E5 combo though, as I do not hear a noticeable difference except a decrease in detail with the E5, the E5 really doesn't help the mid range at all IMO. With more burn in, I would like to hear the bass tighten up a bit more and even better separation would be nice!

Oh yeah, and I give a thumbs up to SEYO, good price, they don't ship right away (it was like a 3 day wait for me) but shipping to the US was just 5 days.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #284 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys explain how the top end sounds? I'm considering these but if they don't have that extended sparkle and crispness, I'll have to look elsewhere.

I'm not quite back yet... still some things I need to sort out before I become a posting machine again...

...Anyways, in the interim, just highlighting this point, and re-emphasising what cn11 has said... to me, the FX500 have a treble that EVERY other earphone / IEM I have heard can only dream about...

The cleaness of the treble (I guess I should add the caveat... "when having a good synergy with the source"...) is totally out there... Not one of my IEMs etc even come close, all sounding plasticky and 'fake' in comparison, with very little in the way of extension compared to the JVCs (even the TF10 sounds 'fake' in comparison!!)

There is - at this time only one album that I cannot listen to with the FX/X combination... maybe not a bad thing all things considered (lol) - Miley Cirrus, Breakout... just sounds 'off' with this combo, probably a result of poor mastering though...

Other than that one album, everything sounds sublime with the FX... to the point where I am planning to sell my Klipsch X10 and C3, even though the C3 only have about 45mins use, and the X10 have... 3-4hrs use... Even EQ'ing the hell out of the X1000, I just cannot get them to sound anywhere near as good as the JVCs...

I must confess to being sort of tempted to pick up a pair of FX300 as run-around 'phones... then again, after having the FX500 for two months, I don't think my ears are ready for a downgrade for the sake of the British Rail system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back