Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Jun 27, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #241 of 1,087
They really are surprisingly good, aren't they?? Glad you're finding your initial listening positive.

Jun 27, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #242 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 500's (previously owned) this evening (I work late) & have only listened to a couple of Ozrics instrumentals so far, but I have to say....bloody hell. These are good.

so.....comparisons to say...

Etymotic ER4P w/ APS S cable
Sennheiser IE8
Westone W3
ATH CK-100
Yuin OK1

wink.gif

That said, I need to buy bigger tips for this thing, feels loose with my medium Sony Hybrids (I got a pack of mediums and mediums only)

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #243 of 1,087
cn111, I see that you have the Mustang Amp. I am probably going to be ordering the 500's very soon. I have an original Hornet to use with them. Have you tried your 500's with any other amps? I am wondering how this combination sounds. I listen mainly to classic jazz, classical and some 70's rock. I really love female vocals, piano and stand up bass for jazz. As for classical, I enjoy piano and strings. Thanks for your input.

Joe

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #244 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.....comparisons to say...

Etymotic ER4P w/ APS S cable
Sennheiser IE8
Westone W3
ATH CK-100
Yuin OK1

wink.gif

That said, I need to buy bigger tips for this thing, feels loose with my medium Sony Hybrids (I got a pack of mediums and mediums only)

The LARGE SONY Hybrids are nice as are the LARGE v-moda BLISS tips / sleeves... those are my two faves.

from a post on iAUDIOPHILE.net by moi:

Best Sleeves to use for In Ear Monitor type Headphones...

Here's a short roundup of the best ranking of In Ear Monitor Sleeves that I've tested. For Bass Quantity, InfraHarmonics, Bass Density, and Comfort.

*Best: SONY Hybrid Silicone Sleeves

*Second: Shure Olive Foam Tips

*Third: Phonak Audeo Silicone Sleeves

*Fourth: v-moda BLISS Silicone Sleeves

Fifth: COMPLY Foam Tips

Sixth: Victor Vinyl Sleeves

Seventh: JVC Microfoam Tips

I have tried a few others, but these are the noteworthies. The starred ones I use on purpose, I sometimes use COMPLY, but find my canals too large for the most part... :frowning2: They need to invent larger tips...

The SONY's have the best audio renditon... and they are a new find for moi, the Shure's are the most isolating, the Phonak's the most enjoyable, and the v-moda the most secure fitting and softest. It's always a tossup, but if I had to pick just one, I'd pick the SONY far and away, and they fit on every single one of my IEM's even though it's somewhat of a struggle to get them on some of the stems! Once on though, they don't wiggle // slink off!

Peace.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #245 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool you got them and are enjoying them. Bass is pretty awesome for sure. I went with the large hybrid tips when in most silicone tips I use medium, and it's working very well for bass impact. They really, really have some bottom end heft don't they? And it's so clean too. No smearing into the mids like with the IE8's.

The biggest thing I noticed with burn in is the widening of soundstage. With the first few listens I noticed it was not as expansive as the IE8's, but now when I do direct comparisons between the two the FX500's seem to have opened up to equal the IE8's. And with their better instrument separation, it's really a thing to behold. It's interesting to note from your comparisons that for detail they better the ADDIEM's. To think that a dynamic is above a dual driver BA which is so regarded for its neutrality and detail is really something.

Congrats on getting them, and keep updating as they burn in.

They sound spectacular after 200 hours of burn in... they just round out and sweeten up!

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #246 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn111, I see that you have the Mustang Amp. I am probably going to be ordering the 500's very soon. I have an original Hornet to use with them. Have you tried your 500's with any other amps? I am wondering how this combination sounds. I listen mainly to classic jazz, classical and some 70's rock. I really love female vocals, piano and stand up bass for jazz. As for classical, I enjoy piano and strings. Thanks for your input.

Joe

Unfortunately I don't have any other amps. Also, I'm stuck in China for work for another few days, and I didn't bring it or my interconnect with me to do any further impressions for you. With the Sony X1060 I'm using, an amp isn't really necessary. The Sony doesn't have a true line out, so I get a pretty minimal sound bump.... although last time I tried it, I do remember hearing some improvement with the Mustang running from the headphone out. I would imagine they take to amping really well since they're so detailed and revealing of the sonic character of a DAP.

Sorry I can't be of any more help right now....

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #247 of 1,087
No problem. It seems that less people are using a portable amp than they were a few years ago. It has been a couple of years that I have been away from this great website. My rig consists of Lossless>4th gen Imod> ALO Cyro> Original Hornet> Clou Red> HD 600. I was interested in the pfe. However there appear to be to many build and qc problems. Also the turbines, from peoples reviews seem like that would have to much bass for the genre of music I like.

Thanks
Joe

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #248 of 1,087
Joe,
I've not heard the Turbines but if too much bass is a concern, the these 500's may not be for you. The bass is quite forward and it takes a bit of EQ'ing (at least to my tastes) to add some control. but I do like the way that I "Feel" the bass as opposed to hearing it. Much like the Denon Full sized AHD's

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #249 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem. It seems that less people are using a portable amp than they were a few years ago. It has been a couple of years that I have been away from this great website. My rig consists of Lossless>4th gen Imod> ALO Cyro> Original Hornet> Clou Red> HD 600. I was interested in the pfe. However there appear to be to many build and qc problems. Also the turbines, from peoples reviews seem like that would have to much bass for the genre of music I like.

Thanks
Joe

I have not had the problems (lucky me) with the Phonak Audeo PFE IEMs... They are worth the money. If you are interested in them, and worried about the build quality there is a rumor that they will be switching the polymer they are built with to a different one soon, to alleviate the cracking problem on the housings. That aside, they SOUND FANTASTIC, but the Victors sound great and you may like them with the Phonak tips... my iPhone 3G is bass "lite" IMHO and i dunno how that compares to the 4th gen iMod, but you may enjoy the HP-FX500 still. They do have lots of "body" but it is not Overwhelming to the point where it would interfere with the other frequencies. That's the beauty of these particular IEMs. They're rather clear. Everything is rather seperate and detailed. Victor - JVC did a great job with them. 200 hours of burn in and bob's your uncle.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #250 of 1,087
Thanks for all the info. After rereading this thread, it seems that the bass is not boomy. I think these should work well for classic jazz with the standup bass. I really like the fact that they do well with female vocals. I also understand that there is no perfect phone. Sometimes you have to use different ones for different genre's for the best experience. I learned this from tube rolling on preamps in my 2 channel rig. I have a tube that is best for all instrument recordings and another tube that excels with female vocal. That's what makes this a great hobby.

Joe

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #251 of 1,087
the victor will sound great (at least it did for me (YYMV)) with jazz and classical. it has a special affinity for natural instruments which shows up in tangible detail inside your ear - a treat that i have not experienced much in earphones. the atrio came close, but did not do it so cleanly or well.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #252 of 1,087
Simple, dumb question: who wears em down, who wears em over ear? Seems I get a better SQ w/ the latter, but the main reason for asking is the logo is printed to be seen only when wearing down (if at all given how 'low' these sit). Just struck me as odd, as a confirmed over-ear type, then realised perhaps designed to be worn bud-style.

Bass quality is excellent. Less convinced by midrange as it seems quite steely & nasally. More burn-in req'd. Almost perfect tho on instrumentals, tho not quite the separation of TF10/UM3X...I only say this as it's slightly harder to hear some layered details on some tracks, but not all.

Still making me grin like a frog on a spinning top, tho...

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #253 of 1,087
Quote:

Simple, dumb question: who wears em down, who wears em over ear?

Look, as Status Quo sang... 'down down, deeper and down'...
ksc75smile.gif

They didn't provide a good enough seal when I tried them over the ears, so I wore them the regular way.

Quote:

Bass quality is excellent. Less convinced by midrange as it seems quite steely & nasally. More burn-in req'd.

I needed to use the Dynamic Normalizer on my Sony X to 'push' the vocals forward and warm them up a bit. The clarity of vocals was astounding I have to say, but a little too distant for me without using some form of EQ.

But instruments sounded amazing, especially guitars and drums. Going back to the W3 after resulted in a big FROWN until I adjusted again
atsmile.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #254 of 1,087
Aha, I see....yet again, Status Quo has the hi-fi answers...

I prefer the iso wearing over-ears. I may have trans-dimensional ear canals tho: they seem to twist n turn in all manner of ways. Think I'll shove a small webcam down there, strapped to a mouse on a bit of string.

I do agree these little wooden things are superb with drums n guitars. I think/hope the vocal side of things will open up over time...and blimey, W3 should be here today.
Too.Many.Toys!

Curse you, redundancy money
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #255 of 1,087
Quote:

I think/hope the vocal side of things will open up over time...and blimey,
W3 should be here today.

Oooooooh!! Nice!!! I'd be very VERY interested to know what you think of them. I will say nussseeeeng............. until you have compared them with the JVC for yourself. But wait.... I will say sumseeeeeng - um... no, I'll wait for your impressions
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back