Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Jul 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #76 of 1,087
shigzeo.

no need to answer.. i got my answer
smily_headphones1.gif
.. its the victor..
smily_headphones1.gif
love them.. atrios are really too dark.. maybe i use the foamies which makes them even more dark.. but boy i love the foamies on the victor.. i cant stop grinning while listening to them..

i went through all genres.. rock, popo, dance, bhangra ! and they sound f**kin awesome! pardon my french. :0

someone's gonna get lucky on the atrios tonight!

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #77 of 1,087
Well, I pulled the trigger on these. Hopefully I'll have a new review for everyone soon!

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #78 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I pulled the trigger on these. Hopefully I'll have a new review for everyone soon!

Indeed!
beyersmile.png

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #80 of 1,087
I have them in my hand and have been listening to them for the last hour. Oh. My. God. These are the ones I've been looking for. Great bass (both depth and impact). Great mids. Great treble. These are by far the best headphones in my collection. I even prefer them over my Beyer 770-80s by a significant margin. Everything sounds realistic, and I think the woodies do in fact impact the timber. From the second I put them on I knew I was in love. I haven't been this blown away since my very first semi-nice set of headphones (the Sony ex51s).

This also ends my attempts with armature based designs. While they are extremely detailed they give me absolutely no joy.

The only thing that is remotely tempting me at this point? That's right, the JVC DX1000s. If this is how their cheap woody IEMs sound I can only begin to imagine what big daddy sounds like...

When I get time I'll try to write a full review with comparisons to all the headphones in my set. Now time to update the sig...

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #81 of 1,087
I agree, currently FX500 is my top 3 favorite earphone. But only problem is the cable noise. It's less than ER4S and EP720, but I would count the third noise maker. I prefer anyone interested in this wood earphone may also need to prepare a clip for cable.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #83 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanSpirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, currently FX500 is my top 3 favorite earphone. But only problem is the cable noise. It's less than ER4S and EP720, but I would count the third noise maker. I prefer anyone interested in this wood earphone may also need to prepare a clip for cable.

Do you use the slider to secure them? That seems to block the overwhelming majority of the cable noise.

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #84 of 1,087
Here is a tip to solve microphonics problem: put a little bit of super glue where the cable meets the end of the earphone plastic pipe. This will quit cable hitting, and stops completely most cable noises. And use a clip on the t-shirt, too.
cable.jpg

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/g...1/#post4762629

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #85 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could partially solve the cable problem by wearing them so that the cable goes up and over your ears. that should remove most of the microphonics. personally though, i like using a clip.

When I wear them like this there's no microphonics at all. Basically, they're like my super.fi 5 pros then.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #87 of 1,087
OK, new here and What shigzeo
tongue_smile.gif

After reading your review here I when down to Bic Camera and purchase the Victor HP-FX500 base on you loving them and then when I checked your profile page, I notice that you no longer have them
confused_face(1).gif

Which phones made you leave them?

First, I had been using the Futuresonics Atrio M5 and after reading your review I got the FX500"s and I must be honest to you............. they win hands down for highs and mids, they just walk all over the Atrio M5 and I thought that the Atrios had good sound but..........the FX500"s just brings out the music of "Buckehead" never heard his guitar sound this way.
ksc75smile.gif

Now, I had been using the shure black foams on the Atrio M5 and I really love them, but it looks like I will need something else for the FX500"s.

Would other users of the FX500"s know what other tips work on these phones?

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #88 of 1,087
i left them for customs: no matter that i loved them -- my ears are bothered by silicon and even by the victor type foamies after a bit.

because of that, i sold all my canal phones and now have the sleek customs. do i miss the sound of the dynamic? yes very much. i was sad to see the fx500 go but i have been the same with my other phones.

still soundwise, the fx500 were so close to being perfect. the monster turbine are somewhat similar but have bass presented a bit more naturally, ala the atrio v1 (have not heard the v2). the victor win hands down in image depth and size.

i found with yellow foamies like in a few pictures up from here avatar, the victor are very good, at their best for me, but i did away with foamies as they get nasty quickly.

i did not leave them: i left non-customs.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #89 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i found with yellow foamies like in a few pictures up from here avatar

shigzeo, thanks for the information, who makes the yellow foamies in the picture above?

I prefer foamies over silicon, the victor foamies are way too small fro me to get a good seal. That is one thing I miss about the atrio v1, they had a very good seal, could not hear any noise on the subway

Also I wanted to move away from the atrio v1 because of the micro phonics of the cable.

The victor does not seem to have the same noise in the cables
smile_phones.gif

Again your review of the Victor HP-FX500 was spot on by the way, these are a great set, and I loved the price, half the price that I paid for the atrio v1 here in Tokyo.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #90 of 1,087
Great review, may have to pick up a pair sometime in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back