Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
May 6, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #106 of 1,087
gadgetman...

Thanks for that
smily_headphones1.gif

The wording on the left, 'Wood unit and housing', it shows as black on the image, and with a wood effect background, on my box is different, mine being (iirc) in gold, and darker gold - So, there is still a vague hope that FX1000s are different to FX500s... Time will tell I'm sure...

May 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #108 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who had a chance to do some comparisons, how do the fx500s compare to today's offerings (monster turbines, ie7...)?

Jazz9...

I will reply to both threads with this exact same post (as we still haven't worked out 100% if the FX1000 = EU version of JPN FX500)

The FX1000 smokes the IE8... now, I do not say that lightly, especially after heading a 200+ page thread singing the praises of the IE8...

The JVCs make the Senns sound flat, and lifeless, with a souless midrange (maybe that goes some way to explain some of the disappointment in the IE8 thread) - The JVCs have so much life / energy, but without needing to go harsh or shrill, and their soundstage is not shabby either!

The only thing that would put a fair few people off of these is the bass, which is VERY deep / impactful, then again, for those with Cowon players, or those with rockboxed players that have good EQs, it would be easier to tame the bass of the JVCs than to boost the other frequencies on the IEs...

By far, the best genres for the JVCs are live music (sublime!) and instrumental / female vocalists (eargasms!!)... - I am re-finding music I didn't even realise that I'd forgotten!!

This is with only approx 20hrs on the JVCs, so maybe I'm a little forward with their praise, but - these are early impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, for my own sanity, I really need someone who has the FX500 and IE8 to post their own opinions, to see if they mirror mine with the FX1000...

May 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #109 of 1,087
I have every reason to belive the transaction is legit, eBay being eBay ah well.

Not too late to the party I hope...

I have a pair of the HA-FX300R from JVC, and they are so wonderful I just had to try the "high class" wooden version...

I've got 200 hours or so on the FX-300's and I'm really impressed. So Impressed I tore the paper on the corner of one of the drivers which led me to investigate into the Fabric Diaphragm Mod and wow, now they sound even better.

I agree that for bass they bowl over the competition. I can't wait to see how much more "refined" the Woodies will sound.

Anyway I'm eagerly awaiting receipt of shipment now, something to look forward to. :-D

Best to Everyone...

May 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #110 of 1,087
...and I'm _excited_ by the beautiful Reference Grade sound that's subtly pouring into my ears ever so gently...

I don't want to say too much, as these have had exactly 00:04:24 sec of playtime... but they are SO MUCH better than everything that I've heard before.

They are out on top with a tad bit of harshness in the mids, which I'm sure will settle down after 2 to 3 hundred hours of nice burn in time...

Listening to my 'reference' track, a FLAC file ripped with rubyripper on Gentoo Linux, which is an Exact Audio Copy clone utilizing Audited Rips and cdparanoia... the track is "Doctor" which is a Doctor Who theme song remix done by Orbital off of "The Altogether" (disc 1), and is a brilliantly well mastered piece of musique concrete gone Techno. So symphonic. So aetherial...

I've spec'ed all of my headphones and mods with that track, and know it intimately on 'phones and on speakers...

I'll keep everybody posted with what I notice about my personal experience with them, and hope that more folks get lucky enough to enjoy these marvels of audio engineering. !!!

Bliss Out!

May 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #111 of 1,087
Yes, the woodies are VERY good... they are, relatively speaking, amazing value if you get the FX500 at the Japanese price - hey, I think they're good value in their FX1000 guise, paying the massively inflated UK price
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #113 of 1,087
I wouldn't be worried to import them. I did, and they're fine. They were promptly delivered from Japan, and quite respectfully packaged!

They're worth every cent, erm Pound, GBP to be precise, that I paid for them.

They're what I hoped they'd be: Somewhat "rounder" and more "cohesive" in tone than the somewhat more analytical-by-comparison, HA-FX300's, yet somehow these sound Higher in Resolution, ? anyone else noticing that??

Also, they're a tad "brighter" but have a "rounded" bightness, like well-modeled highlights in a Black & White photograph... They're almost "bassy" treble highlights... Very nice indeed. Almost as if the Wood Dome gives the highest treble tonalities a soft yet crisp enough edge, at a higher resolution than the Bi-metal is capable of pulling off.

I'd like to 'hear' some confirmation on this, and hope I'm not the only guy with both types of earphone to do a review...

I'll keep everyone posted along the way. Boy am I a happy camper so far!!

May 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #114 of 1,087
they are not popular here as they are a japanese-only release. other sites have to import them for big price hikes for one and victor don't really market much outside japan anyway except a few models.

do i love the fx500? yes. they are very good.

if i was to review them at TouchMyApps, I would give them a Grab. Basically, the cable should be about 10 cm longer and should be a bit more durable (non-crystalising) and the highs should come out a bit more. I found however, that if you remove the filter at the end of the tube, the highs come out a bit more and the phone is nearly perfect.

May 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #115 of 1,087
Duncan,
How can we be sure that the JVC and Victor versions are indeed the same? I'm very interested in one of them.......

May 18, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #116 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be worried to import them. I did, and they're fine. They were promptly delivered from Japan, and quite respectfully packaged!

They're worth every cent, erm Pound, GBP to be precise, that I paid for them.

They're what I hoped they'd be: Somewhat "rounder" and more "cohesive" in tone than the somewhat more analytical-by-comparison, HA-FX300's, yet somehow these sound Higher in Resolution, ? anyone else noticing that??

Also, they're a tad "brighter" but have a "rounded" bightness, like well-modeled highlights in a Black & White photograph... They're almost "bassy" treble highlights... Very nice indeed. Almost as if the Wood Dome gives the highest treble tonalities a soft yet crisp enough edge, at a higher resolution than the Bi-metal is capable of pulling off.

I'd like to 'hear' some confirmation on this, and hope I'm not the only guy with both types of earphone to do a review...

I'll keep everyone posted along the way. Boy am I a happy camper so far!!

Are you talking the same HA-FX300s on sale for $30.99 (black) on Amazon? That good?

May 18, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #117 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan,
How can we be sure that the JVC and Victor versions are indeed the same? I'm very interested in one of them.......

cn11...

We can't until one of us gets both pairs and compares them, but, I for one am totally out of 'Head-Fi' money after getting the X
frown.gif

May 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #119 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mate, you took one for the team, though i hear there is another
wink.gif

I do believe that you are well informed ;o)

The woodies will take over the world... one person at a time...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #120 of 1,087
well Duncs (if i may call you that), i have been chatting with that other person and well.. i have even in the recesses of my black mind wished i had not sold them. my decision was based not on sound but on practicality. i needed only iems that work whilst bashing through the bush or clean roads on my beautiful marinoni fango bicycle. haha.

the victor did not do that. cord too short and well, i did not want to sweat on the beautiful housing. when you get a bit more used to them, you may 'want' to pull out the blackfilter paper that sits atop the nozzle. i found that a nice sound upgrade. funny how long it has taken for this thread to get any action! just needed a few big names to post up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back