Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Aug 13, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #661 of 1,087
I've bought Sony tips yesterday. Damn! aren't they expensive? Can't believe I spent $11 just for tips. Well, at least, it gives much better isolation and sq quality over default ones.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #662 of 1,087
I just bought the Sennheiser IE8s a month ago and now I'm looking at these guys for an upgrade : ( I feel the statements about the bass to be true; they just don't produce that nice vibrating bass that I've been looking for. They do have a lot of mid and upper bass but I want to feel the bass. There isn't enough treble quality for me either (I came from the Phonak Audeo PFEs) and I'm hoping that the mids aren't as recessed with the FX-500s as they are with the IE8s. I still feel that the IE8s are a great set of IEMs because they produce that nice full sound, instrument separation, etc(you've heard it all before) but there's still some things left to be desired. Also Anthonym (I feel like I'm addressing myself because my name is Anthony Ma) do the sony tips really improve SQ? I bought the hybrids for my IE8 which have a wide nozzle/opening and felt the same way as Chinesekiwi in that it compresses the sound. Well to better explain here's my post regarding the tips:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like both the Sennheiser small double flange tips and the small Sony hybrid tips. I get a good seal with both. Coming from my 16 GB Zune, I'm using the Sony tips right now.

The sony hybrids bring the vocals up, there's less treble extension but the quality of the treble improves and there's a nice sparkle similar to the PFEs. There's also more bass impact, but I feel that the quality of the bass decreases. The sound stage decreases by A LOT and cymbals sound for some odd reason don't sound right when compared to the double flanges. Also acoustics don't sound as nice with the hybrids as they do with the double flanges (less decay?) There's almost sort of a visceral feeling you get with each string struck with the double flanges but less so with the hybrids. Coming from the PFEs, if it weren't for the more upfront vocals and treble quality I would be using the double flanges right now.

Now I'm back to using the double flanges.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #664 of 1,087
I wouldn't recommend this for any kinds of high energy metal with high treble guitar tunes. If you are like me, you will find them quite piercing to your ears. Other than that, FX500 offers superb performance! trance, techno, hip-hop, jazz, classicals, vocal..you name it. There isn't bass this phone can't handle. It's the bass king.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #665 of 1,087
Personally, I think the FX500 are great for metal. They have extended highs, but I wouldn't call it harsh. If you are looking for treble to roll off a bit, then you probably won't like these for music with a lot of treble. However, there is no debating that the bass is excellent.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #666 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the Sennheiser IE8s a month ago and now I'm looking at these guys for an upgrade : ( I feel the statements about the bass to be true; they just don't produce that nice vibrating bass that I've been looking for. They do have a lot of mid and upper bass but I want to feel the bass. There isn't enough treble quality for me either (I came from the Phonak Audeo PFEs) and I'm hoping that the mids aren't as recessed with the FX-500s as they are with the IE8s. I still feel that the IE8s are a great set of IEMs because they produce that nice full sound, instrument separation, etc(you've heard it all before) but there's still some things left to be desired. Also Anthonym (I feel like I'm addressing myself because my name is Anthony Ma) do the sony tips really improve SQ? I bought the hybrids for my IE8 which have a wide nozzle/opening and felt the same way as Chinesekiwi in that it compresses the sound. Well to better explain here's my post regarding the tips:

Now I'm back to using the double flanges.

Indeed, it gives me better SQ as well as isolation. To elaborate, bass becomes more pronounce, clean and gives me more punch. Treble..that's another story
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you are a fan of violin performance(vanessa mae,..), I wouldn't recommend it. The reason being, for some people, it might come across as harsh. Well, for soundstage, I don't hear any difference. Fit is perfect. With default tips, I can only wear it in 45 degree angle. Mind you, I need to shove it hard for it to stay in my ear. Sony tips doesn't require me to. I can wear it without much effort. Some people like koss better. If you have a chance, try that as well.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #667 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the bass king.

It now has a rival: Denon AH-C710.
biggrin.gif

Bass is very comparable in lowest extension between the two, but the Denon has a little more mid bass. Not muddy though, but it is noticeable when coming from the FX500.

It's amazing that to my ears each of these phones surpasses even the Atrios in bass.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #669 of 1,087
I haven't got time for a proper explanation now and I've been so busy recently so sorry for the long absence.
I only got my Victors 2 days ago because they got stuck at customs and I had to pay £20
frown.gif

oh well...so..my first impressions were poor, very poor. Apart from the build quality, and the fit and comfort, which was perfect from the word off without so much as changing the tips, I believed I'd completely wasted £110.

Skip two days and I am in love with my little Victors, I can barely keep them out of my ears. They look beautiful, they sound beautiful, they feel beautiful and they just are..beautiful. Watch this space for my explanations to this

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #670 of 1,087
People who think that the FX500 is the bass king might do well to check the ATH-CKS70. The CKS70 could also be a good alternative to those sensible to treble. I still prefer the FX500 as it is more versatile and has more energetic high but for dubstep and techno I now reach for the CKS70: The bass is just phemomenal, even compared to the FX500.
Other people also suggested the Mingo for bass, which I haven't heard but would love to compare to the CKS70. Need to find a retailer that ship oversea...

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #671 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who think that the FX500 is the bass king might do well to check the ATH-CKS70. The CKS70 could also be a good alternative to those sensible to treble. I still prefer the FX500 as it is more versatile and has more energetic high but for dubstep and techno I now reach for the CKS70: The bass is just phemomenal, even compared to the FX500.
Other people also suggested the Mingo for bass, which I haven't heard but would love to compare to the CKS70. Need to find a retailer that ship oversea...

Would you say those CKS70's would be a drastic improvement over my NE-7m's? The FX500's are tempting, but they're a bit more than I want to spend.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #672 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skip two days and I am in love with my little Victors, I can barely keep them out of my ears. They look beautiful, they sound beautiful, they feel beautiful and they just are..beautiful. Watch this space for my explanations to this

Look forward to reading your follow up thoughts, and learning what was responsible for such a turn around! Glad you're loving them now. They're very nice phones for sure.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #673 of 1,087
after using several wooden earphones, the victor are definitely among the best made.

by the way. i will be re-photographing the fx500 and re-writing the review to fit my most modern format. that means the original page one review will be re-done. i hope it will be better fitted for readers to glean as much as possible from the thread. i imagine to have it done in 1-2 weeks, so tell me what you think when it comes. i will update the latest page when it is done.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #674 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say those CKS70's would be a drastic improvement over my NE-7m's? The FX500's are tempting, but they're a bit more than I want to spend.

I haven't heard the NE-7m unfortunatly but from what I read the FX500 is definatly an improvement over the Ne-7m, and I believe the CKS70 is pretty close to the FX500 but with fuller bass but less treble extension. It is also cheaper but only distributed in Asia. If you love bass, the CKS70 is a fantastic phone. If you like bass heavy music the FX500 will put right in the middle of the club's dancefloor while the CKS70 will take you next to the speaker stacks...
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #675 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't comment on CKS70 as I've never owned one. But, base on my brief experience with NE7m, FX500 is definitely significant upgrade over NE7m. Just few days before I'd had my FX500, I was impressed by it's overall SQ quality. After I received FX500 and compared back to back with it, I can say I'm no longer impressed. IMO, Ne7m doesn't sound natural and the bass isn't defined. Soundstage is non existence. Bear in mind that they were tested right out of the box. So no burn-in effect yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back