Victor HA-FW10000: 10th Anniversary model
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #856 of 1,217
What tips are those? The transparent ones.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #858 of 1,217

Songs like these are what got me hooked on my FW10000. The sense of air, space, and positioning is so ridiculous that it sounds as if the music is coming from floor standing speakers in the room — like you’re not wearing anything at all. Not every recording will sound that way, but when they do, it’s magic.

Boy do I miss using them during my breaks at work. My other earphones don’t hold a candle to them.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #859 of 1,217
I do own a Dita OSLO, PlusSound X6 Tri-Silver and Crystal Cable Dream Duet, and have tried to pair them with my JVC. All are nice but like you said, the OSLO does smoothen a tad too much. The Tri-Silver sounds pretty impressive, so resolving, 3D and full of life, yet it's the Dream Duet that wows me...:) Give them a try.

Thanks for the recommendation.
How does Dream Duet sounds compared to the Tri-Silver?
and have you try the 1960s?

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #860 of 1,217
Thanks for the recommendation.
How does Dream Duet sounds compared to the Tri-Silver?
and have you try the 1960s?

I did try but the 1960's was not a good match to me. Maybe it's me but it feels like taking away the JVC's sparkle and making it sound a little "unengaging". Could the 1950's be better? I don't know, I have yet to try. On the other hand, both the Tri-Silver and Dream Duet are great at least in technical terms, with the Dream Duet being a tad more transparent and the Tri-Silver having a stronger sense of (3D) living presence. However, the interesting thing is whenever the Dream Duet is plugged in, every note played through the JVC is filled with magic; you just have to listen through the entire song the entire album...:)

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #861 of 1,217
Crystal Cable products (i.e. the genuine ones) really are quite magical, it's (sorta) how I feel about their flagship coaxial and USB cables

https://www.audiostream.com/comment/502439#comment-502439
https://www.crystalcable.com/reviews/2012-hifi-absolute-dream/
You don’t get GAS from these cables, after that first flush, you begin to settle down with your music and just listen to an album at a time. I found myself devoting a regular late afternoon session to picking an old album, ripping it and playing it from beginning to end. Something that seldom happens in our sound-byte digital audio world today.
Gabi also hinted at their upcoming headphone amp back in January 2019 but no more details were available since then

http://www.verymusic.com.tw/news_info.asp?id=67

BTW, I've been looking at some powerful portable / transportable sources for driving FW10000 just in case JVC ain't announcing anything new this year.

There's DX220 Max from iBasso and it's estimated to cost about 2,000 bucks, and then HiFiMAN just announced their latest flagship HM1000 for 29,800 RMB this weekend

http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2167481
https://t.cj.sina.com.cn/articles/view/1770869972/698d54d400100ta8i

Apparently they're going for quad (instead of dual) PCM1704K this time, no screen whatsoever and everything is done remotely via mobile devices + their official app.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #862 of 1,217
Expensive USB cables... :thinking:

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #863 of 1,217
Expensive USB cables... :thinking:
10% difference in sound. I dont care for looks. If you dont agree then do need to reply.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #864 of 1,217
Nov 10, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #865 of 1,217
I did try but the 1960's was not a good match to me. Maybe it's me but it feels like taking away the JVC's sparkle and making it sound a little "unengaging". Could the 1950's be better? I don't know, I have yet to try. On the other hand, both the Tri-Silver and Dream Duet are great at least in technical terms, with the Dream Duet being a tad more transparent and the Tri-Silver having a stronger sense of (3D) living presence. However, the interesting thing is whenever the Dream Duet is plugged in, every note played through the JVC is filled with magic; you just have to listen through the entire song the entire album...:)

The Dream Duet is more expensive than the FW10000 by a factor of 2?

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #867 of 1,217
In Hong Kong, the Dream Duet is roughly the same price as the FW10000 yet I got mine in a recent big sale (30% off).:)
Any loss of bass ? What sort of music you been listening to ?

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #869 of 1,217
Any loss of bass ? What sort of music you been listening to ?

"Loss of bass?" That was exactly my worry cause I did reckon the sound signature of the Dream Duet to be sort of "lean". Yet I could still recall how I was wowed by the beautiful sound once the music started... must be the first time that my JVC managed to handle various sorts of music in such lovely way.:) To answer the question, no loss but not much gain of bass in terms of quantity, instead, what's special is that it gives the bass definition, naturalness, and life. And the treble is simply divine, just as expected, smooth and transparent, and working in superb harmony with the bass...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #870 of 1,217

I'm also still in the quest to find the perfect cable for the FW10k. I tried 1960s 4-wire and I kinda agree with what's been said here. Somehow not the monster it is when paired with my Z1R. I have the 1950s and 1960s 4-wire in 2-pin form as well but I don't like the idea of getting a converter to try it on the FW.

Since you live in HK, is it possible to get your opinion on the pairing with 1950s? I assume it would be available in an audio store there somewhere?

It's either the 1950s or Dream Duet for me as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back